LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 - Mark Levinson - no sound issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 05:56 PM
RTR999
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LX570 - Mark Levinson - no sound issue

Just wanted to give everyone an update on what looks like a very common issue. A lot of the threads that I have read on here indicate no sound in the stereo system as a result of the Mark Levinson amplifier failure. I was able to determine that my issue was related to failure of the multi unit display module which is under the passenger seat. After reading about people using United Radio to repair their amplifier for $735 I thought that was my only option aside from a $2000+ replacement and sent mine in for them to repair it. They charged me the $735 but whatever they did or didn’t do did not fix the issue. I find it extremely hard to believe that both the amplifier and the multi-display unit would both fail so take that for what it’s worth. I did notice after the fact that in addition to there being no sound in the entertainment system the rear zone was not showing up in the audio or climate controls. This in addition to the no sound might be the difference between a failure of the amplifier or the multi display module.

Last edited by RTR999; 09-21-20 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KennyFSU (02-14-22)
Old 09-23-20, 09:24 AM
rlaer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTR999
Just wanted to give everyone an update on what looks like a very common issue. A lot of the threads that I have read on here indicate no sound in the stereo system as a result of the Mark Levinson amplifier failure. I was able to determine that my issue was related to failure of the multi unit display module which is under the passenger seat. After reading about people using United Radio to repair their amplifier for $735 I thought that was my only option aside from a $2000+ replacement and sent mine in for them to repair it. They charged me the $735 but whatever they did or didn’t do did not fix the issue. I find it extremely hard to believe that both the amplifier and the multi-display unit would both fail so take that for what it’s worth. I did notice after the fact that in addition to there being no sound in the entertainment system the rear zone was not showing up in the audio or climate controls. This in addition to the no sound might be the difference between a failure of the amplifier or the multi display module.
What year is your LX?
Old 10-19-20, 06:26 PM
fmtriple
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for making this thread, I have the no sound issue and I was about to send my amplifier in for repair. Do you have the part number for the multi unit display module? I'm having a difficult time finding the part via internet searches. What route did you go to repair the module?
Old 10-19-20, 07:19 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Can you clarify what you meant by ' the rear zone was not showing up in the audio or climate controls'? did you mean in the display, the rear. controls are not showing (blank)? Or the ac control for the rear (behind the front center armrest) and the rear av display behind both front seat headrests were both 'out' (mean they would turned on but no image / video was showing?
Old 11-24-21, 10:53 AM
cj110
Driver School Candidate

@RTR999 - Were you able to get that issue sorted? I sent my amp in for repair as well and they said it was perfectly fine. Same issue - no power to rear displays and no audio at all.

Thanks!
Cory
Old 11-25-21, 11:30 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I am puzzled. I have both an LX570 and an IS 250C. Both with ML sound systems, both bought new, both with around 70,000 miles. The LX nav/sound system has failed three times. The IS system has worked perfectly.

I am wildly guessing that the LX problem is heat related as the LX’s ML amplifier twin cooling fans are both blocked with carpeting. Anyone have any other information or thoughts?
Old 11-25-21, 01:25 PM
coryj
2nd gear

The technician who worked on my amplifier said that he is suspecting my issue is the display module under the passenger seat. One symptom we also have is that the rear entertainment has no power. I checked power to the display module under the pass seat, and could not see 12v so it could be something with the wiring or a fuse. But I swear I’ve checked every single fuse up and down, I don’t know for sure if I’m checking for power correctly (the connector with 2 black wires and 1 small data wire) - so there’s that.

I did too notice that the amp gets super hot, I asked the technician about this because I was kind of shocked when he said the amp was working just fine. He said they are rated for a pretty high temp and he rarely has seen overheating as the root cause. More so water intrusion from the fan sucking up moisture from the area.

@Reggie1 do you know what was done each time they fixed your audio issue? And Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited by coryj; 11-25-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 07:47 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

New amplifier alone each time solved the problem, at least for a while. There were also 2 blown fuses. They blew immediately each time I replaced them, regardless of which one. Then installed new amp, followed by fuses, which did not blow with new amp installed and connected, and sound was back along with corrected display screens.

The display module is still the one that is original to the vehicle.
I have never used the rear screens, so I never thought to check on their operation at any time

Last edited by Reggie1; 11-25-21 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 05:32 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a way to test the amp throught the nav. It will save alot of time for those trying to diagnose. Wish I learned earlier before sending my AMP off; however, United Radio did not charge me anything for the test since my AMP is in working order. Greatly appreciated their service.

Secret menu: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ser...menus.1156024/

My sub-assy is good. However, I did not get the reading from the dealer. They did say a fualt was shown and recommended replacing my head unit. I want to test myself once I get my Techstream up and running.
Old 12-20-21, 08:15 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

According to the technician who last repaired my ML amplifier there is an interconnection involving the display module and the amplifier. His detailed written instructions for installation of the repaired amplifier were to remove the 2 fuses involved in the sound system, completely disconnect the battery, remove all connectors from the display module, then connect the repaired amp, next reconnect the display module, reconnect the battery, and finally to replace the 2 fuses. Of course, that means both front seats need to be unbolted.

I have no electronic system internal repair training, so I am just passing this along unfiltered.
Old 12-20-21, 04:42 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Reggie1
According to the technician who last repaired my ML amplifier there is an interconnection involving the display module and the amplifier. His detailed written instructions for installation of the repaired amplifier were to remove the 2 fuses involved in the sound system, completely disconnect the battery, remove all connectors from the display module, then connect the repaired amp, next reconnect the display module, reconnect the battery, and finally to replace the 2 fuses. Of course, that means both front seats need to be unbolted.

I have no electronic system internal repair training, so I am just passing this along unfiltered.

Yeah. Sadly, after recieving my AMP back from United Radio, I did not follow those steps and I am worried that I might have caused more damaged. I did not recieve such instructions after they sent mine back being it was still in opperational condition. Curious if that is why I have a fault in my head unit. Also, I noticed today that I cannot adjust my fader and all the buttons are faded out.

I am unable to test my rear system since I do not have the factor head phones nor remote. But, I do recall my rear screen turning on when I started the car displaying a seat belt warning, now I don't see that pop-up. Tried to test today and even found an old DVD, only the front screen showed the movie. However, I might need the remote to full test.
Old 12-20-21, 05:02 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SloanSav
Yeah. Sadly, after recieving my AMP back from United Radio, I did not follow those steps and I am worried that I might have caused more damaged. I did not recieve such instructions after they sent mine back being it was still in opperational condition. Curious if that is why I have a fault in my head unit. Also, I noticed today that I cannot adjust my fader and all the buttons are faded out.

I am unable to test my rear system since I do not have the factor head phones nor remote. But, I do recall my rear screen turning on when I started the car displaying a seat belt warning, now I don't see that pop-up. Tried to test today and even found an old DVD, only the front screen showed the movie. However, I might need the remote to full test.
Update: You are able to access rear-controls from the main display; however, if the sub-assy is nto functional the rear button in audio will disapear. That is the case for me, I am unable to see my rear display control. I am curious if my dealership got it wrong. I'll have to call and double-check they tested the sub-assy.
Old 02-12-22, 08:15 AM
pearson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coryj
The technician who worked on my amplifier said that he is suspecting my issue is the display module under the passenger seat. One symptom we also have is that the rear entertainment has no power. I checked power to the display module under the pass seat, and could not see 12v so it could be something with the wiring or a fuse. But I swear I’ve checked every single fuse up and down, I don’t know for sure if I’m checking for power correctly (the connector with 2 black wires and 1 small data wire) - so there’s that.

I did too notice that the amp gets super hot, I asked the technician about this because I was kind of shocked when he said the amp was working just fine. He said they are rated for a pretty high temp and he rarely has seen overheating as the root cause. More so water intrusion from the fan sucking up moisture from the area.

@Reggie1 do you know what was done each time they fixed your audio issue? And Happy Thanksgiving!!
hi, i have the same no audio no rear video. How do you solve the problem? Thanks
Old 06-03-22, 04:20 PM
coryj
2nd gear

Have another update here, just have been working on this as time permits. Dealer quoted 3k to replace the multi media display module under the passenger seat PN 8610460010. (2015 LX)Multi media display module

However, my wife doesn’t mind that much …so thought I’d tinker a bit more before getting back to Lexus. I took that board out and tested continuity on several of the circuits with what little knowledge I could scrounge up from YouTube. Everything seemed ok. So I took a toothbrush and circuit board cleaner and lightly cleaned it. Plugged it back in, nothing. Then I got to unplugging and wiggling the wires to the amp. Turned it back on, and nothing again. But I thought to reset the head unit by holding the power button in for a few secs. Turned back on, and boom, audio! As I was feeling so confident, didn’t think to test it a second time …I bolted the display module back in first and then went to test again. Nada! Tried to replicate my procedure, but no luck thus far. I did not initially pull the fuses or battery as indicated earlier in the thread - shame on me, but now at least this may indicate a wiring fault.

I learned a little about the MOST bus system Lexus uses while diagnosing this. Connected via ring topology where each module communicates with the next. But the MOST bus connectors in this case don’t seem to use fiber optic light? At least the connectors have metal contacts, I haven’t been able to figure out how to test the signal.

Thought I’d share, maybe it helps. But my next step after more research and checking fuses, etc. is to go back to Lexus with this new anomaly.

The following users liked this post:
firepug (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 01:08 PM
firepug
2nd gear

Originally Posted by coryj
Have another update here, just have been working on this as time permits. Dealer quoted 3k to replace the multi media display module under the passenger seat PN 8610460010. (2015 LX)Multi media display module

However, my wife doesn’t mind that much …so thought I’d tinker a bit more before getting back to Lexus. I took that board out and tested continuity on several of the circuits with what little knowledge I could scrounge up from YouTube. Everything seemed ok. So I took a toothbrush and circuit board cleaner and lightly cleaned it. Plugged it back in, nothing. Then I got to unplugging and wiggling the wires to the amp. Turned it back on, and nothing again. But I thought to reset the head unit by holding the power button in for a few secs. Turned back on, and boom, audio! As I was feeling so confident, didn’t think to test it a second time …I bolted the display module back in first and then went to test again. Nada! Tried to replicate my procedure, but no luck thus far. I did not initially pull the fuses or battery as indicated earlier in the thread - shame on me, but now at least this may indicate a wiring fault.

I learned a little about the MOST bus system Lexus uses while diagnosing this. Connected via ring topology where each module communicates with the next. But the MOST bus connectors in this case don’t seem to use fiber optic light? At least the connectors have metal contacts, I haven’t been able to figure out how to test the signal.

Thought I’d share, maybe it helps. But my next step after more research and checking fuses, etc. is to go back to Lexus with this new anomaly.

im having the same problem, I sent it to United radio and still no rear entertainment or sound , I have no idea what to do now

Quick Reply: LX570 - Mark Levinson - no sound issue