LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Wireless phone charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 07:52 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Wireless phone charger?

I have a 2018 LX570, 2 row. Clearly there are other options besides the third row that the 2 row trucks don't have. Cooler in the console is one of them. I wonder if the wireless charger is another. Had this truck a little over a year and until yesterday I wasn't concerned about wireless charging because I had the old Iphone 6. Just got a 12 Pro Max for Christmas and now I can use a wireless charger.

I put the phone on the part that houses wireless charging and nothing. So do I assume correctly that it is not equipped?

Anyone know how to equip it with the wireless charger?

Thank you
Old 12-30-20, 08:27 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Spoiler

Originally Posted by dtaylor

I put the phone on the part that houses wireless charging and nothing. So do I assume correctly that it is not equipped?

Anyone know how to equip it with the wireless charger?

Thank you
There is a small power button in the middle, near where the chrome piece comes down to close. It's on the inside of the charging door. Is that turned on? I believe it lights up when it's on.

Last edited by jsch222; 12-30-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-30-20, 08:31 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Old 01-01-21, 04:30 PM
nayak1
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have exactly the same issue with the latest iPhone 12 pro max. My guess could be the size of the iphone 12 pro max which doesn't fit horizontally or something to do with the magsafe technology. I tried without the magsafe cover but still didn't work. The older versions of iphone with qi wireless charging works just fine.
Old 01-06-21, 05:50 PM
lxguy
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Wireless Phone Charger

I have a 2-row 2018 LX570 and it does not come with the wireless phone charger (there really aren't any options for the 2-row LX for 2018) and I don't believe you can add it after the fact.
Old 01-15-21, 10:22 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by lxguy
I have a 2-row 2018 LX570 and it does not come with the wireless phone charger (there really aren't any options for the 2-row LX for 2018) and I don't believe you can add it after the fact.
I may be way off on this, but it looks like one CAN buy the optional factory wireless charging setup. Lexus of Fort Worth says it is part #861C0-60051, and retail cost is $1055. So clearly it can be bought and put in. If pattern holds, there will be existing wiring to plug it into. Pattern being on every other vehicle I've ever owned, optional equipment wiring is usually present on most similar model vehicles because while options vary, things like wiring harnesses are made the same regardless of optional equipment present. I have not tested this theory on the late model LX, but on my prior Land Cruisers, LS, GX, and other Toyota products it held true.

So wiring pattern not withstanding, it can be installed.

On a FB LX page, several folks have commented like one above in this thread how the Iphone 12 max pro does not fit will in the given space, plus it's hard to access the phone in that slot because of the cup holder being right in front of it.

While I most likely will not lay out $1055 for the part, I do want a wireless charging solution in my LX. So far my ideas are to fabricate a folding bracket that hopefully does not look as redneck as it sounds. And use some sort of generic charging pad built into it to charge my phone.

I also want to install one in the second row seat armrest, which has room under the pop up door.

Has anyone here come up with solutions similar to these?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-30-21, 08:33 PM
KrackHead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll trade you your oem non charge tray for oem charger as long as its espresso trim.
Old 07-30-21, 08:51 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Problem I seem to have is that you have to remove phone from the thin metal case I have mine in for charger to work. Real pain to do that. Any way around the problem? (Beside pitch the case!) I know I’ll hear that one soon.
Old 07-30-21, 09:08 PM
KrackHead
Driver School Candidate

My phone does not fit inside the charger. So I'm working on engineering a solution.
Old 07-31-21, 07:04 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

i kluged up something using a cup holder goose neck, and an ultra thin Qi charger.

but i realized after it all that i could have just bought this instead, with the charger built in. I run mine off of a circular charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet (gives me more amps of current than the USB outllets),

Andobil 15" Long Wireless Cup Phone Holder

:

Amazon Amazon

you will lose one cup holder space, but it is worth it.

Last edited by biff44; 07-31-21 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-31-21, 07:14 PM
KrackHead
Driver School Candidate

That's the thing I'm really picky about oem. Last thing I want is charger like that in front of all other controls in a $109,000 Lexus! Like I said I'm working on a solution that is more in line with oem.
Old 07-31-21, 07:17 PM
biff44
Instructor

Originally Posted by KrackHead
That's the thing I'm really picky about oem. Last thing I want is charger like that in front of all other controls in a $109,000 Lexus! Like I said I'm working on a solution that is more in line with oem.
turns out, it really is not in the way. it blocks the emergency brake button from being seen, but since the ebrake goes on automatically, i seldom use it.
i will take a picture tomorrow morning when it is light out again, of my iphone mounted in the cup holder

If you are paying full freight on a 2021 new LX, sure i would be pissed. but i bought a CPO one with a big discount, and i am happy with it the way it is.
Old 07-31-21, 07:28 PM
KrackHead
Driver School Candidate

My bad! I assumed you had new one. In your case it's not a bad idea.
Old 08-01-21, 10:30 AM
biff44
Instructor

Originally Posted by KrackHead
My bad! I assumed you had new one. In your case it's not a bad idea.
yep, that was my dillema, wait for the 2022 model to come out with all the bells and whistles (but wait a year to get it?), buy a NEW LX570 for over $100k with the old electronics, or get a certified pre-owned. i went with the later, and saved $35K and have been using it well already, and since these things do not age....it is as if i AM driving a new 2021 one.

Not sure why, but here in boston there seemed to be a bunch of CPO LX's show up two months ago. Everything else was scarce!

btw, here is my Iphone 7 plus in a gooseneck cup holder:

As far as other options, i tried to set up an RX350 with a fairly large tablet in a floor mounted holder, with truck driving software, weather radar, all sorts of trip planning apps, etc. -- a real cross country machine. And.....it was a total failure.
the tablets are touch sensitive screens, and are very SENSITIVE to touch. So i would reach for something from my passenger seat, brush against the thing, and it would shut down my map app that was running. then i had to go thru all sorts of gyrations to get it back to the same screen before it touched it. After a thousand miles of that, i just threw it in the back and used my phone and Garmin gps.

I would LOVE to hear from someone who actually did get a tablet or IPad to work in a holder in a car, because you really do want a big screen to aid you on trips. Like you are trying to book a hotel 400 miles away, and can barely read the iphone screen to compare rates. with a tablet, you can easily see what is going on.

Last edited by biff44; 08-01-21 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-01-21, 10:32 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Smart - exactly what i did last year. picked up a 2 year old LX with 10k miles. Could not be happier and saved $30k.

Quick Reply: Wireless phone charger?