LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My "new" 2015 LX570

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 09:59 AM
gbouton
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by biff44
i just went thru a similar thing. I too bought an LX.

Tried a BMW X7, wife thought it rolled and floated way too much, made her seasick. Also i just could not picture myself ever truly offroading a BMW!

Tried a Mercedes GLS 450. she liked the ride far better, but still a lot of body roll/float

Was thinking a Ford Expedition max FX4 would do the trick, and it did not have much body roll (although plenty of road bumps got thru). but parking it was like berthing the Queen Mary. I could not get it between the lines in an empty parking lot. you have to look at the camera, you can not see the lines to park.

Tried a GX460, and it was too small....i am used to an RX350, and want something bigger to do road trips. The GX was basically the same size as the RX, and that did not cut it. And the useless 3rd road seat was a total joke!

then found a CPO LX570, took it for a test drive, and we both were smiling after that. For one thing....it basically handled just like my RX350....some feel, just a little big bigger perceived size (although actually it is much bigger). ride quality was great, i was swerving in and out of traffic in boston with not too much trouble. That was the one for me.

i was going to try the Lincoln Navigator, and a Yukon denali At4 offroad, but did not get to them....maybe one of those would have impressed us too.

Actually test driving SUVs in this pandemic is no fun, we were driving all over the place just to try them out.

i wonder how much our displeasure at the other large SUVs was just because "they did not drive like a lexus". there is a definite feel a lexus has as you drive it. if you are used to that, everything else is going to feel odd.
Yes, I had the nearly identical experiences with the X7, GLS and GX! I also didn't like the way the X7 hood had an odd "hump" in the sightline (at least for me). Felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. As a long time BMW owner (20+ of them in the last 30 years) I was pretty much set on the X7 until I took it on a long test drive. I also rented an Expedition Max Limited for a 2,000 mile road trip and found that it was a chore keeping it in the lane at 75-80 mph...fortunately the lane keep assist works ok on it, but not something I'd want to rely on that much at highway speed. It also seemed a little cheap inside in terms of material and design, especially considering it's cost. GLS was nice but I was concerned with reliability and depreciation, and my wife didn't like the seats. Almost ended up with the GX but it doesn't have a large transmission cooler and is also too tall and narrow to make for a good tow vehicle...so always ended up going back to the LX. I also did all of my test drives during covid lockdown, and while it was not ideal, the willingness of dealers to actually use email to negotiate prices and set up test drive appointments, etc was actually a nice change from the usual "you need to come in to talk price" tactic they normally try to use.