LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My "new" 2015 LX570

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 12:42 PM
gbouton
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile My "new" 2015 LX570

After a very long search and test driving nearly every new and used mid and full-size SUV model available, I purchased this L/Certified 2015 LX with only 48k miles last week in Florida and drove it 15 hours home to Maryland. It was a great road trip and I was really impressed with the comfortable ride and the outstanding ML audio. It's keeping my '07 4Runner V8 Sport company at the moment until I can bring myself to sell that one.

Now that I have it home I'm getting ready to install a Redarc brake controller as I'll be pulling a camper and also an open car trailer occasionally. Looking at also maybe installing the Lsailt Android/CarPlay unit.

The following 3 users liked this post by gbouton:
JennK (05-17-21), jvangun (05-28-21), tntcandy (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 05:34 PM
JennK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful vehicle!
The following users liked this post:
gbouton (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 06:39 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats & welcome!!
gbouton (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 08:10 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats, we are twins 2 years apart! I have a 2013 same color combo and I’m also in Maryland. Purchased mine from a local Lexus dealer a year and a half ago with 92k miles on it clean, well maintained with all service records. I now have 119k miles and it has been a beast! I could sell it today and actually make money over what I paid but I’m keeping it! I actually look forward to long drives in the LX. Yes the Mark Levinson sounds phenomenal and even better with high quality source material.

gbouton (05-18-21)
Old 05-18-21, 01:11 PM
gbouton
Driver

Originally Posted by milellie11
Congrats, we are twins 2 years apart! I have a 2013 same color combo and I’m also in Maryland. Purchased mine from a local Lexus dealer a year and a half ago with 92k miles on it clean, well maintained with all service records. I now have 119k miles and it has been a beast! I could sell it today and actually make money over what I paid but I’m keeping it! I actually look forward to long drives in the LX. Yes the Mark Levinson sounds phenomenal and even better with high quality source material.
Yes, twins for sure! It took me awhile to find a white on black one that was in great shape with full service records.
Old 05-19-21, 07:59 AM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats beautiful truck!
gbouton (05-19-21)
Old 05-27-21, 03:19 PM
2015LX570
Driver School Candidate

Default Have you installed the brake controller yet?

Originally Posted by gbouton
After a very long search and test driving nearly every new and used mid and full-size SUV model available, I purchased this L/Certified 2015 LX with only 48k miles last week in Florida and drove it 15 hours home to Maryland. It was a great road trip and I was really impressed with the comfortable ride and the outstanding ML audio. It's keeping my '07 4Runner V8 Sport company at the moment until I can bring myself to sell that one.

Now that I have it home I'm getting ready to install a Redarc brake controller as I'll be pulling a camper and also an open car trailer occasionally. Looking at also maybe installing the Lsailt Android/CarPlay unit.

I’m in the same boat, just picked up a 2015 LX 570 with 50k miles White on Black in great condition, shopped for over a year to find the one I wanted. Now want to tow a travel trailer and not sure I need the brake controller (think I do) since the trailer has electric brakes (2014 Rockwood Forest River Ultra Lite). Sitting here looking at the SUV & Brake Controller, trying to research online.....

gbouton (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 06:34 PM
gbouton
Driver

Originally Posted by 2015LX570
I’m in the same boat, just picked up a 2015 LX 570 with 50k miles White on Black in great condition, shopped for over a year to find the one I wanted. Now want to tow a travel trailer and not sure I need the brake controller (think I do) since the trailer has electric brakes (2014 Rockwood Forest River Ultra Lite). Sitting here looking at the SUV & Brake Controller, trying to research online.....
Congrats, looks great! Definitely worth the effort to find the one you really want.

Regarding the brake controller, you will definitely need that for your trailer brakes, you will also need this harness connector if you don't already have it, which connects between the brake controller wire that's hiding behind the driver's side dashboard and then to your brake controller unit:
Amazon Amazon

In order to locate the harness connector you have to remove some of the lower dashboard panels, which is pretty easy to do, although looks somewhat intimidating at first. This DIY is actually for a Landcruiser but is a similar process https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tra...nector.361992/ and a video at
. On the LX there is a small cubby door that I wasn't able to remove, but I was able to stick my hand behind the dash opening far enough to wiggle the correct connector out of it's holder. I haven't decided where to mount my brake controller yet, but I'll probably use heavy-duty velcro and put it either just below or just above the gas/hood release levers.

I also had to buy this 7-way trailer harness extension cord
Amazon Amazon
since my trailer has a short wiring harness that terminates on the left side of the trailer tongue, and the LX has the 7-way receptacle pretty far to the right of the hitch under the bumper, so I didn't quite have enough length to connect the trailer. But that just might have been a unique situation with my specific trailer.

Last edited by gbouton; 05-27-21 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 10:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Congrats, looks great! Definitely worth the effort to find the one you really want.

Regarding the brake controller, you will definitely need that for your trailer brakes, you will also need this harness connector if you don't already have it, which connects between the brake controller wire that's hiding behind the driver's side dashboard and then to your brake controller unit: https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3040.../dp/B004WLL0OI

I also had to buy this 7-way trailer harness extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDPFCVQ/ since my trailer has a short wiring harness that terminates on the left side of the trailer tongue, and the LX has the 7-way receptacle pretty far to the right of the hitch under the bumper, so I didn't quite have enough length to connect the trailer. But that just might have been a unique situation with my specific trailer.
That's normal. Toyota has it mounted near the catalytic converter. It's a pita. I cut mine and spliced in about a foot and a half of trailer cable to move it near the hitch.
gbouton (05-28-21)
Old 06-19-21, 03:56 PM
2015LX570
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok got the brake controller and harness connector but can’t find the plug in???

Please help! Can’t find where to plug into the LX??

Old 06-19-21, 04:32 PM
gbouton
Driver

You have to also remove the upper dash piece with the arrow pointing to it in the pic below. It just lifts out, although you might have to pull up the opposite side first...I don't recall from when I did my install. Once you have the piece out of the way, you should be able to see the white plug holders that will be somewhere behind where the cubby is located that I've circled. I was able to reach in from the bottom with my fingers and release the connector from it's holder while viewing it from the area that will be visible once you remove the upper dash piece.

Old 06-21-21, 02:30 PM
2015LX570
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes it worked!

Thank you!
gbouton (06-21-21)
Old 06-22-21, 06:42 AM
SamNBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Congrats and welcome

congrats and welcome! Yours looks much like my ‘14 except for interior color. They are awesome rigs for everyday driving and road trips. One thing to check at that age is frame rust, esp. at the front and rear corners. An afternoon with a brass brush and some undercoating is time well spent.
gbouton (06-22-21)
Old 06-22-21, 12:05 PM
gbouton
Driver

Originally Posted by SamNBrown
congrats and welcome! Yours looks much like my ‘14 except for interior color. They are awesome rigs for everyday driving and road trips. One thing to check at that age is frame rust, esp. at the front and rear corners. An afternoon with a brass brush and some undercoating is time well spent.
Thanks! I did crawl around underneath pretty well, and because of it's previous life in central Florida it doesn't appear to even have any surface rust anywhere on the underside, just incredibly clean. However I am thinking about having it treated with Fluid Film or Woolwax before this winter to help preserve it as much as possible.
Old 07-03-21, 03:28 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

i just went thru a similar thing. I too bought an LX.

Tried a BMW X7, wife thought it rolled and floated way too much, made her seasick. Also i just could not picture myself ever truly offroading a BMW!

Tried a Mercedes GLS 450. she liked the ride far better, but still a lot of body roll/float

Was thinking a Ford Expedition max FX4 would do the trick, and it did not have much body roll (although plenty of road bumps got thru). but parking it was like berthing the Queen Mary. I could not get it between the lines in an empty parking lot. you have to look at the camera, you can not see the lines to park.

Tried a GX460, and it was too small....i am used to an RX350, and want something bigger to do road trips. The GX was basically the same size as the RX, and that did not cut it. And the useless 3rd road seat was a total joke!

then found a CPO LX570, took it for a test drive, and we both were smiling after that. For one thing....it basically handled just like my RX350....some feel, just a little big bigger perceived size (although actually it is much bigger). ride quality was great, i was swerving in and out of traffic in boston with not too much trouble. That was the one for me.

i was going to try the Lincoln Navigator, and a Yukon denali At4 offroad, but did not get to them....maybe one of those would have impressed us too.

Actually test driving SUVs in this pandemic is no fun, we were driving all over the place just to try them out.

i wonder how much our displeasure at the other large SUVs was just because "they did not drive like a lexus". there is a definite feel a lexus has as you drive it. if you are used to that, everything else is going to feel odd.

Last edited by biff44; 07-03-21 at 03:33 AM.
gbouton (07-03-21)

Quick Reply: My "new" 2015 LX570