No Sound, no volume control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 08:51 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question No Sound, no volume control?

Hey. All,

After work, when I got into my 2013 LX, everything seemed fine. My phone pairing was successful, but I didn’t hear any music. I check the screen, and sure enough, the music was counting. Next, I turned the volume up to no avail, plus I noticed that the volume control was not popping up. Thought to myself, let’s just pull over and restart the car - no success. Even disconnected the battery only to lose all of my original settings.

After an exhausted search online, I gave up. Seems that there’s something blocking the volume control completely. The touch screen’s response even seems sluggish, not sure if this is related.

Any ideas? Would think the amp would be the cause? I have not checked the fuses yet either.

Mark Levinson system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
The following users liked this post:
adidascan (06-30-21)
Old 06-29-21, 12:26 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SloanSav
Hey. All,

After work, when I got into my 2013 LX, everything seemed fine. My phone pairing was successful, but I didn’t hear any music. I check the screen, and sure enough, the music was counting. Next, I turned the volume up to no avail, plus I noticed that the volume control was not popping up. Thought to myself, let’s just pull over and restart the car - no success. Even disconnected the battery only to lose all of my original settings.

After an exhausted search online, I gave up. Seems that there’s something blocking the volume control completely. The touch screen’s response even seems sluggish, not sure if this is related.

Any ideas? Would think the amp would be the cause? I have not checked the fuses yet either.

Mark Levinson system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Report on what if anything you find with the fuses.
Old 06-29-21, 10:50 AM
gbouton
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the semi-common ML amp issue, which usually needs to be repaired or replaced. Contact United Radio for a quote to repair at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...mp-repair.html or this company might be a bit cheaper https://paulisoncorpserv.com/product...570-2010-2016/. More info on what might be the same issue: https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forum...f-and-save-03/

Old 06-29-21, 11:04 AM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

you probably checked this already, but try just the radio and see if any sound comes out. if it does, then check your phone or try another phone. could be the volume on your phone is all the way off or your phone could be paired with something else, i.e. headphones where the music from your phone is playing elsewhere
Old 06-29-21, 05:24 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gbouton
Sounds like the semi-common ML amp issue, which usually needs to be repaired or replaced. Contact United Radio for a quote to repair at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...mp-repair.html or this company might be a bit cheaper https://paulisoncorpserv.com/product...570-2010-2016/. More info on what might be the same issue: https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forum...f-and-save-03/

Thank you for the links. I’ll report back after I do some digging.

Hopefully, just a loose connection. It would be nice to avoid paying $700 to repair the amp; however, still better than buying a new unit. Plus, I have not checked the fuses. It’s been a hectic few weeks at work and haven’t had time to check.

adidascan (06-30-21)
Old 06-29-21, 05:33 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gbouton
Originally Posted by matt2421
you probably checked this already, but try just the radio and see if any sound comes out. if it does, then check your phone or try another phone. could be the volume on your phone is all the way off or your phone could be paired with something else, i.e. headphones where the music from your phone is playing elsewhere
I thought the same. Mostly because the volume controls do not show a volume level, just like when the TV is connected to a Bluetooth speaker.
Old 06-30-21, 11:48 AM
halovoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same issue one year ago, and it happened occasionally but not always. So I had to go to dealership couple times and finally luckily enough, the master tech was able to see the issue and inspect it. It was the amp issue, mine was over heatting so it would not start sometimes. Replace the whole amp under warranty and now after one year, the car starts to have the same issue again. I highly doubt this might be a design issue for audio system in lexus LX. My car is 2016 lx570 and I might considering getting a new generation LX when it comes out due to this issue.
Old 06-30-21, 01:21 PM
gbouton
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by halovoa
Had the same issue one year ago, and it happened occasionally but not always. So I had to go to dealership couple times and finally luckily enough, the master tech was able to see the issue and inspect it. It was the amp issue, mine was over heatting so it would not start sometimes. Replace the whole amp under warranty and now after one year, the car starts to have the same issue again. I highly doubt this might be a design issue for audio system in lexus LX. My car is 2016 lx570 and I might considering getting a new generation LX when it comes out due to this issue.
It appears to be a relatively common issue across multiple models...LS, GS, IS, etc. So might be a shared component or manufacturing issues with the ML amp in general.
Old 06-30-21, 02:27 PM
adidascan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2017 RX450h is experiencing this right now....
Old 06-30-21, 05:57 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by halovoa
The link for repairs a few comments above recommends cutting a square hole out of the carpet, directly above the amp. That way the amp is able to circulate air. With that, I would say this is a design issue that causes the amp to overheat. Of course, the amp is located under the seat so you’ll never notice the cut.

Old 06-30-21, 05:59 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adidascan
My 2017 RX450h is experiencing this right now....
The sound of silence is deafening!
Old 06-30-21, 06:10 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Any symptoms prior to the amp goes out? Like maybe a seldom 'hick up ' / no sound for a sec?
Old 06-30-21, 06:24 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by z32
Any symptoms prior to the amp goes out? Like maybe a seldom 'hick up ' / no sound for a sec?
Absolutely nothing.
adidascan (07-03-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:28 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know how to pull up the hidden menu? Curious if that might read amp failure.
Old 10-17-21, 11:40 AM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Still no sound from my head unit. Sent amp to United Audio, and the good news is my amp is functional. United Audio was great, cleaned up my amp and mailed back to me very quickly. Sad part, is not sure what the next steps are other than a bad relay. Also, I found the secret radio with error codes. Link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ser...menus.1156024/

AMP showed OK, and not sure what options I could run. But, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. All fuses look good.

Quick Reply: No Sound, no volume control?