LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

18 LX Pulling to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 08:49 AM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: My appointment with the next closest dealer is tomorrow. I will keep this post updated.

I will contact get the corporate involved if this next dealer cannot fix it.
The following users liked this post:
jsch222 (08-25-21)
Old 08-27-21, 11:09 AM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Update: Picked up the truck from the 2nd dealer. Good news is that the truck drives so much better than before and does not pull to the right as hard like it used to be. However, there is still a slight and minor pull to the right which I can accept that and given it has hydraulic steering providing much more road feedback. At least it is much more comfortable and safe to drive than before.

Having said that, I will be calling the first dealer requesting for a full refund of the alignment work they did. Either the mechanic or their alignment rig is out of spec, they could not resolve the issue and provide the service that I paid for multiple times.

We will have a road trip next week and we are looking forward driving the truck.

Thank you for all the feedback.
Old 08-27-21, 11:12 AM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Btw, this 2nd dealer did mention the truck is still pulling slightly before I took it back. The service advisor said Lexus suggested next course of action is to flip each tire inside out. They would charge $90 to do that.

Given how the truck drives (much better than before) and is acceptable to us now, we will do that with the next tires rotation and see if that improves even further.
Old 08-27-21, 04:11 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you are satisfied. However if it still slightly pulls on a straight road (test somewhere in a parking lot) I wouldn’t accept that. If what you are experiencing is the truck slightly drifting with the crown of the lane then that’s normal.

Some dealers can be horrible at aligning vehicles especially LX’s which require more effort and expertise. I know I’ve been through this before. They’ll blame the alignment machine is miscalibrated and has to get recalibrated by Hunter. Then their head diagnostic tech will try to tell you everything is normal. I’ve been through multiple dealer alignments and have also gotten refunded for many as well. They need to spend some time on it, with a guy who knows alignments and not just throw it on the rack for 20 mins and get everything in the "green".

I’ve come to the conclusion that Lexus techs aren’t as good at figuring things out as Mercedes techs (own one and have dealership experience with them) or perhaps other German brand dealer techs and just give up and say "that’s the best it’s gonna get it’s normal behavior for the vehicle".
Old 08-28-21, 12:59 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Glad you are satisfied. However if it still slightly pulls on a straight road (test somewhere in a parking lot) I wouldn’t accept that. If what you are experiencing is the truck slightly drifting with the crown of the lane then that’s normal.

Some dealers can be horrible at aligning vehicles especially LX’s which require more effort and expertise. I know I’ve been through this before. They’ll blame the alignment machine is miscalibrated and has to get recalibrated by Hunter. Then their head diagnostic tech will try to tell you everything is normal. I’ve been through multiple dealer alignments and have also gotten refunded for many as well. They need to spend some time on it, with a guy who knows alignments and not just throw it on the rack for 20 mins and get everything in the "green".

I’ve come to the conclusion that Lexus techs aren’t as good at figuring things out as Mercedes techs (own one and have dealership experience with them) or perhaps other German brand dealer techs and just give up and say "that’s the best it’s gonna get it’s normal behavior for the vehicle".
German mechanics have FAR more experience and real time practice. Not quite as much as British car mechanics, but close.
Old 08-30-21, 08:39 AM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by milellie11

We are going on a road trip this week and that will give us a better idea if the alignment issue is truly resolved. Driving on these local and horrible streets cannot tell very well, but it definitely is driving much better than before.

I will be calling to the first dealer and request for a full refund as they could not figure this out 3 times.

I will be going to this 2nd dealer from now on even though is a bit out of my drive, but the experience is so much better than the first I went on par with the German counterparts (with good service, advisor, and lounge).
Old 12-15-21, 02:21 PM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Update for those who have subscribed and for other LX owners.

We had been driving the truck since we took it back from the second dealer in August. Driving was much improved, but still pulling to the right slightly and was evident during our roadtrips the past months. Had friends came over to visit and needed the truck since, so we did not take it back to the second dealer until last week. We also noticed the LX leans to the left side while both parked and driving.

This dealer was working hard trying to get the LX drives straight. They spent 3 days to make sure no pulling and all are within spec. They confirmed the leaning is normal as Lexus guideline is 20 mm left to right and my car was at 10 mm difference. They also confirmed shocks are in good condition and no leak.

Picked up the LX yesterday and it drifts to the left. They calibrated VGRS, replaced battery (Lexus suggested the dealer running a load test and it failed. VGRS may not register inputs properly when load is not proper - according to them), new alignment.

Spoke to the service advisor this morning and they have nothing else they can do for me at this point as they have done everything they could.

Called and opened a case with the corporate and waiting for a case manager to call me back.

Will keep this thread updated.
Old 03-04-22, 09:10 AM
blschaefer
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bd307
Update for those who have subscribed and for other LX owners.

We had been driving the truck since we took it back from the second dealer in August. Driving was much improved, but still pulling to the right slightly and was evident during our roadtrips the past months. Had friends came over to visit and needed the truck since, so we did not take it back to the second dealer until last week. We also noticed the LX leans to the left side while both parked and driving.

This dealer was working hard trying to get the LX drives straight. They spent 3 days to make sure no pulling and all are within spec. They confirmed the leaning is normal as Lexus guideline is 20 mm left to right and my car was at 10 mm difference. They also confirmed shocks are in good condition and no leak.

Picked up the LX yesterday and it drifts to the left. They calibrated VGRS, replaced battery (Lexus suggested the dealer running a load test and it failed. VGRS may not register inputs properly when load is not proper - according to them), new alignment.

Spoke to the service advisor this morning and they have nothing else they can do for me at this point as they have done everything they could.

Called and opened a case with the corporate and waiting for a case manager to call me back.

Will keep this thread updated.
Any update on this? I just picked up a new to me 2019 LX570 and noticed it pulls to the right also. The vehicle seems VERY sensitive to road crown. I picked the vehicle up in Texas and drove it home to Arizona, the jury is out for me as to whether this is 'normal' or not. The dealer did a four wheel alignment as part of the certification process. We'll see. I had a GX460 before this with no such issue.
Old 03-06-22, 07:21 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I would make sure that when the dealer is doing the alignment the car is set to N position on ride height. Turn off the “kneeling” setting. We have ours set to lower when turning off the car. If the mechanic is not familiar they will perform the alignment with the car in the lowered position and it will pull. From my past experience it made the car pull fairly strong and I had to constantly apply pressure to keep the car centered. After aligning in the N position the car stays straight as an arrow.
Old 03-06-22, 07:22 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Also. Don’t assume a Lexus mechanic is familiar with the adjustable suspension. They don’t see many LX and often times it’s overlooked.
Old 03-07-22, 09:07 AM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Lexus has been quite disappointing in their customer services in regards to the issue I have been having even to this date.

Lexus, if you are reading this, make sure you are aware and taking appropriate actions why people spend their money on your cars. Reliability, comfort, and customer services (pre-sale and after-sale). I am still giving you the benefit of the doubt that you cars are still quite reliable. You certainly failed at providing comfort and customer services to us. It was very uncomfortable to both driver and passengers when the damn car/truck drifting consistently on road trips. I stated my opinion of your customer services so I am not repeating it here.

Dec 2021: Filed with Lexus corporate and a representative contacted me 2-3 days after my initial filing stating she is an assistance as the case manager is on leave. Took information of the history I have had with the car and said would contact the dealer and discuss with them the next steps and would get back to me within 7 days.

It is March 2022 and none of them (both the corporate and dealer) has given me a call or leaving a voice message.

The solution (somewhat): The car drives much better after I took it to another alignment shop (lost count how many alignment jobs this car has received since July 2021) in January 2022. This shop went beyond and spent the time to align the car. The car has been driving much better after this job, but it is still not what I would expect compared to driving X7, Range Rover, Cadillac, or even a Ram truck. We accept it as a solution until the car market is cool down and there is something we like on the market. Until then, we have a few long road trips planned for this year and we will just drive it until it is the time.

Like jsch222 said, I think finding the right alignment shop is the key here and this is exactly what frustrates me if we have to do that to enjoy this product.

Old 08-09-22, 09:53 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lexus corporate is a hide and miss thing. I travel on the same roads and highways annually. The truck will sometimes pull to the right, and sometimes on the same road, same lane! So far, the only difference I've done is lower the car for older people to get it. I'm starting to suspect that the AHC system is not always consistent on my truck when the feature is used. Here's a good link about the AHC.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx5...ssues.1053154/

In short, I see the AHC is similar to BMW's overengineering endeavors. An issue like pulling to the right has lots to do with many other components at play one of which the AHC system can affect the issue. A good technician has to be kind of an amateur scientist at the least and isolate all variables when troubleshooting. When you go to dealers that can't figure out the issue on your dime, it is really disappointing.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 10-09-22 at 09:28 PM.