LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

ACH/Suspension cost to repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 06:19 AM
kcaps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACH/Suspension cost to repair

Long time stalker, very rare poster (once) but this place has always been a gem of answers for me and my '09 LX570. This past weekend, my AHC failed, the car was stuck in "Lo" and leaked it's insides all over the outside onto the driveway (I'm guessing this is the hydraulic fluid). I managed to creep it down to the Toyota dealer, which is literally at the end of my street. Lexus is about 12 miles away. Toyota was baffled so they called Lexus (we have two in the area, and they called the dealer I do not use) and received a $29,000 quote for repair. I knew this was going to be expensive based on everything I've read here over the years, and I fully accepted that when I bought the car, but $29k?!? I was quoted $4k for a conversion kit, but none are available because...parts. As it sits, the Toyota dealer is going to give me $12k to walk away from it. This doesn't make sense - don't get me wrong, I'm happy to walk with $12k. But again, $29k? Are they trying to rip me off? I have this nightmare they will fix it and sit it on the lot $10k over what they gave me and I'm out my beloved LX570. If anyone out there thinks "yep, this is accurate" I'd love for you to chime in. Details - 2009 LX570, 205k miles.
Old 10-12-21, 06:26 AM
gbouton
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have any first-hand experience with AHC repair, but you definitely need to get the truck to *your* preferred Lexus dealer and have them take a look at it in person. If you need to get it towed there, it will probably be worth that minor expense. I would not put any faith in a phone quote second-hand from a Toyota dealer (or any other non-Lexus dealer for that matter, no offense to Toyota specifically). My guess is the repair quote is going to be significantly less, but only a guess. In either case, hope you get better news!
Old 10-12-21, 06:32 AM
kcaps
Driver School Candidate

The $29k quote was directly from Lexus, not Toyota. Toyota has stated very clearly they will not fix this - apparently the LC is vastly different than the LX despite being "the same." I doubt I will get much better news, but might be worth a shot. My other issue is there are two used LX570's around here with a reasonable sticker. This might be my sign to upgrade...
Old 10-12-21, 07:05 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Post here you’ll get more help https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-...-cruisers.136/
Old 10-12-21, 08:06 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

12K trade in offer lol of course they are gonna make money off of it. Used cars are at a premium now and even more so LX and Landcruisers which are appreciating in value. Even KBB trade in value for your car with major mechanical issues is 17k. https://www.kbb.com/lexus/lx/2009/lx...hicleid=226784

I haven’t had good success with Lexus dealers figuring things out as the LX AHC suspension seems to be above their expertise. My experience with Lexus techs is that they aren’t as skilled as techs of a German makes (probably due to less experiencing troubleshooting) and they either say we can’t figure it out, just start throwing parts at the car or give up and say it’s operating as normal.

I would find an Indy mechanic or good shop who has worked with the AHC system before. Let them diagnose, then source your own parts online. You can save a boatload getting genuine OEM parts online rather than sourcing through Lexus Dealer.

You could have a combination of issues, rusted AHC lines, bad AHC pump, and or your AHC Accumulator globes which holds AHC fluid and controls the dampening of the LX may be shot and they are an integral part of the system. Lexus wants $750 for each globe and there are 4 to replace. Add in their inflated labor costs and you are looking at $5000 just to replace the globes. I ordered all 4 OEM Toyota shipped straight from Japan warehouse (2 front globes https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...-rh-4914160020
2 rear globes https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...-rh-4915160020) and paid $650 shipped to my door. I sent this video to my Indy shop (
) and they only charged my 2 hours of labor ($250). Five 1 liter bottles of AHC fluid will run close to $90 shipped verses $130 purchased from Lexus. Here is part # for fluid (0888681221) put in Google choose cheapest online dealer. Same goes for any other parts like shocks, find the Toyota part number and save 30% or so off msrp buy ordering online.

Also this thread may help you. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/09-...ilure.1162584/

I’m guessing you could probably fix your entire suspension for less than 5k.

Old 10-12-21, 08:41 AM
kcaps
Driver School Candidate

This is beyond helpful. Thank you. I'm sure it doesn't help I stand all of 5 feet and female, so some of these dudes can probably see me, and judge me, from a mile away. I'm clueless on some things, but not a complete idiot. Good to know about sourcing parts and there's a reputable independent mechanic within walking distance of my house. Worth a shot I suppose...
Old 10-12-21, 12:55 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would go to independence shop that works with Japanese car to get few more quote. And no, don't tell them how much Lexus quote you for it.
Old 10-13-21, 10:19 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kcaps
This is beyond helpful. Thank you. I'm sure it doesn't help I stand all of 5 feet and female, so some of these dudes can probably see me, and judge me, from a mile away. I'm clueless on some things, but not a complete idiot. Good to know about sourcing parts and there's a reputable independent mechanic within walking distance of my house. Worth a shot I suppose...
Glad you made it over to mud.
Old 10-13-21, 10:29 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kcaps
No problem. Even reputable mechanics can be clueless on AHC especially considering even some Toyota mechanics and Lexus mechanics are. AHC is not unreliable, yet is a complex system and when it fails can be a money pit. From my research, rust can be a big factor.

Talk directly to the mechanic who will be working on your car and if he sounds shaky walk away.

205,000 miles on the truck you may be coming up due for more maintenance items aside from the AHC. You probably can sell the truck right now for 20k even with the broken AHC given the inflated market. May be a good chance to jump into something with a warranty.
Old 10-13-21, 12:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I would go to independence shop that works with Japanese car to get few more quote. And no, don't tell them how much Lexus quote you for it.
I'd do exactly the same. I have no idea as to an experienced Lexus/Toyota shop in OP's area, but I'd look for something like the one in Boise, LTS Motors

90% of the time I diy it, but when time is an issue LTS gets the job.

Old 10-19-21, 11:19 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

According to Kelley Blue Book, the 2009 LX in need on mechanical repairs is worth about $20,000. The same LX in good mechanical condition is worth $25,000. Your offer of $12,000 to walk away from the vehicle gives the dealer around $13,000 to split between doing the repairs and their profit on selling the repaired LX. So if these figures are reasonably accurate, someone has deemed the LX repairable and sellable for a profit. Let’s say they expect to net $3,000, which means they are pretty darn sure the repairs can be done in their shop for under $10,000.

I can’t advise you how to handle the situation, but I think if I were in your shoes and could find an independent shop that can do the repairs for $5,000, I’d go for it. But my first choice would be the conversion of the suspension to the Land Cruiser setup.

If this is your only vehicle, that’s a big factor. I have backup vehicles and leaving my LX in the shop waiting on parts from Japan for a month would not be a big deal - in fact, I already did that this year when my main wiring harness was eaten by a squirrel.

The following users liked this post:
biff44 (10-20-21)
Old 10-19-21, 08:43 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

When I get a quote to REPAIR something that cost 29k I will laugh!!!! I will NOT believe it's even true!!! What parts and labor are they quoting you? Even replacing an engine shouldn't cost 29k! Question them how they come up with 29k? Lexus didn't even do the diag, so how did Toyota do the diag? Confused me here. Toyota knew what parts are needed to get the vehicle back to working condition yet they refused to work on it? Gotta get out of there and look for another dealer / shop. If they quoted me 5-8k I may say 'yes' after checking with them 'why', but definitely not 29k.
The following users liked this post:
Yorksail00 (08-28-23)
Old 10-20-21, 03:58 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

just spitballing here. but if the lexus dealer has you bent over with a $29k quote.... how about finding some aftermarket shocks with coil-over springs, or air shocks that will give a non-automated fixed vehicle height that you manually adjust? for probably $2K, you can have the beast rolling down the highway again.

a minute search on google turned up all the parts you would need to do it:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/v/lexus-.../N-1slvuZcm5hx

Last edited by biff44; 10-20-21 at 04:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by biff44:
TNVOLS (02-09-22), Yorksail00 (08-28-23)
Old 10-20-21, 06:27 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Did they say exactly what is the problem? The AHC system is very robust and typically only has failures at the globes (although other areas can be problematic but not statistically speaking) $29k is crazy......I'd flatbed tow it to an independent shop. I hate seeing dealers take advantage of anyone that's in a vulnerable spot.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsch222:
SAR570 (10-21-21), Yorksail00 (08-28-23)
Old 02-08-22, 09:44 AM
Ohlancaste
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should post that quote

Quick Reply: ACH/Suspension cost to repair