LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

AHC system replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 10:32 AM
cfarrellto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHC system replacement cost

I have a 2013 LX570. One of the hydraulic lines on the AHC system burst with just 86,500 miles on the odometer. The dealer says this was due to rust and corrosion. To replace the line I was told that the body must come off the frame. Additionally they can not say if other parts need to be replaced due to the corrosion. Because they can not pin down a price for the repair, they quoted me a maximum $36,545. This is the cost to replace the entire AHC system, if necessary. I believe the entire vehicle only has a value of about $40,000. Do I OK the repair and hope the bill is nowhere near that high, or do I write off the truck? Is there an aftermarket conventional suspension system that can be installed? Other than the suspension issues the truck is in excellent shape. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 11-09-21, 06:17 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads
Senior Moderator

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I would take it to local repair shop & see if they can fabricate the corroded lines. Living in the salt belt we are use to fabricating fuel & brake lines, so the AHC lines can't be any more difficult. The dealer views lines differently which why they want to take the body off. (That's how the truck was made) After the lines are made you might have to go back to the dealer to have the system filled & bled if the repair shop can't figure it out.

If you want I'll buy your rig for $10,000.00 sight unseen. (Being generous) 40,000 - 36,545 = 3455. I'm sure 5000.00 is what the dealer is thinking.
Old 11-09-21, 06:33 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Frame off to replace those parts? And estimated to be some 30-40k? Where's the coupon for 50% off? Go to an indy shop o have he line replaced. BTW, did the vehicle sank to the bottom?
Old 11-09-21, 06:40 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

The same AHC replacement issue happened here 2-3 weeks ago. Find a good local indy shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus. Go from there. Fitting the rear lines is a preview of hell. Obviously, "while they're in there" replace both lines and inspect the rest of the lines. If you're in a salt on the roads state, it's worth the money to find a shop that has a lift and clean it with hot water and soap from a pressure washer. Under-truck plates need removal before cleaning.

Adding undercoating is not a bad idea either, if you have a shop nearby that specializes in undercoatings.

Last edited by hankinid; 11-12-21 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-10-21, 09:47 AM
cfarrellto
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the offer, but I'm still weighing my options. I am hoping to work out something reasonable with the dealer and if that fails, finding a local shop to fabricate a line. I, however, concerned about more lines failing. Once one brake line failed in my old Land Cruiser, the others followed in short order, as did the rear A/C line.
Old 11-10-21, 09:49 AM
cfarrellto
Driver School Candidate

Last I saw, the vehicle had not settled to the bottom, but it very well may be there now. If I can't find my 50% off coupon I'll look for an indy shop.
Old 11-10-21, 10:55 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Do not even deal with the dealer anymore on this. If you want to keep the AHC, find an indy shop to do the repairs. It is unlikely you need the globes or accumulators at that mileage unless they are completely corroded.
Or you can completely remove the system and install a really nice aftermarket system and lift (if you want it lifted)
There are several on Mud who have done this including Turbo8 and are very happy they did. Do a quick search there for detailed answers to your questions.
Old 11-10-21, 01:20 PM
cfarrellto
Driver School Candidate

I'm still working with the dealer, I've arranged to meet with them and go over what they want to do. The vehicle will be on a lift so I can get a good look at it. I am also going to contact Lexus corporate to see if they'll help, a repair of this magnitude is ridiculous giving the age and mileage. Finding an indy place to do the repair will be difficult around here. I do have a call into the one place I did find that does after market suspensions, waiting to hear back.
Old 11-10-21, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cfarrellto
I have a 2013 LX570. One of the hydraulic lines on the AHC system burst with just 86,500 miles on the odometer. The dealer says this was due to rust and corrosion. To replace the line I was told that the body must come off the frame. Additionally they can not say if other parts need to be replaced due to the corrosion. Because they can not pin down a price for the repair, they quoted me a maximum $36,545. This is the cost to replace the entire AHC system, if necessary. I believe the entire vehicle only has a value of about $40,000. Do I OK the repair and hope the bill is nowhere near that high, or do I write off the truck? Is there an aftermarket conventional suspension system that can be installed? Other than the suspension issues the truck is in excellent shape. Thank you in advance for any advice.
DO NOT LISTEN to the dealer. Go somewhere independent. While I don’t quite have a LX anymore, my rig had a exhaust pipe break where the left and right exhaust manifolds meet at the Y pipe. Dealer quote $6000 to replace a number of parts.. dealer said he engine had to come out…..so we says the big “uff” you. We went to a independent…..$300 to cut and weld a new metal Y pipe. Later on…I also had the rear air shocks fail…dealer wanted to replace for $3500….said that there is no way to do it otherwise…so went to the same independent…..$1000 to put two aftermarket springs in (no more air).

Originally Posted by cfarrellto
I. Finding an indy place to do the repair will be difficult around here. I do have a call into the one place I did find that does after market suspensions, waiting to hear back.
There should be no issue finding someone. Toyota/Lexus adaptive variable suspension has been around for 20+ years….23 in LX models ,,someone can definitely do it. Aftermarket stuff is available

do not dealer with the dealer.

good luck
Old 11-10-21, 05:45 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads
Senior Moderator

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Truth be told the dealer wants to steal your truck from you so they can fix & flip it. Vehicle inventory is extremely low on new / used vehicles & the dealer needs cars to sell. We have had countless customers being hit w/ ridiculous estimates only to have the dealer offer to trade it in or buy the car outright because it needs SO MUCH WORK & it's not worth fixing. OR you pay the outrageous repair cost & keep the car, it's a win for them either way. There is no ethics any more because they are starving. Imagine you are a commission based sales man & you have 8 New cars to sell on the entire lot instead of 400. Think about it.
Old 11-11-21, 04:41 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

local shop!
what city in NY r u the closest to? Maybe someone here knows of a good shop

Old 04-06-22, 05:21 AM
Nikku36
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if you found a solution but my 08 lx570 is on land cruiser 200 suspension. No longer on ahc. This was done by the previous owner. While I don't have experience with ahc, the current set up rides very nicely. I may upgrade tp bp51 ome
Old 04-06-22, 07:24 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The dealer very likely has never done such job before...maybe engine / tranny replacement but frame off repair at a dealership? an indy shop (or even a BODY SHOP!!!) may have more experience doing similar job. but it's your personal choice, if you are more comfortable having the dealer doing the job, go for it.... if vehicle has rust, and if I want to have a frame off repair, I would call it a frame off restore, and will give it to a body shop to do - who can likely get some rust prevention done while it's off frame....
Old 04-06-22, 07:28 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There's one specific line that usually fails due to rust. It isn't that hard to replace, tight but doable and there's no need for the body to come off. If you can, get the dealer to send you pictures of the failed line and post them here.
Old 04-14-22, 04:59 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Dealers replace, they don’t repair. Take it to an independent that does brake lines, etc.

Quick Reply: AHC system replacement cost