LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

New to me LX has water leak into cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-21, 06:29 PM
ufdlim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me LX has water leak into cabin

New to me 2010 LX - fantastic condition and everything checked out in the two PPIs I got. Drove it 1000+ miles into the Canadian Rockies back country - performed exceptionally. Well, three months later the rainy season hits. It has rained for three weeks straight.

Last week I noticed the passenger side pooling water on top of the floor liner. On a whim, I also wanted to change the cabin air filter. The filter was fully soaking wet.

Obvious causes being obvious, I had Lexus fully flush the moonroof and other drains during my oil change. They also noted that the windshield was aftermarket and likely not sealed correctly on the passenger side. Today I noticed the cabin air filter was again wet after the rain.

I want to explore replacing the windshield with OEM. Bought my LX at AutoNation but I’m well beyond their 10 day guarantee or whatever.

Should I explore AutoNation paying all or part of the replacement? Assuming they won’t, can I even get this covered under insurance if my windshield is not “broken”? Should I just cut my losses and buy something else as I have no idea how long water has been pouring into the cabin of the previous owner?

Last edited by ufdlim; 11-20-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-20-21, 10:38 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

The worst AutoNation can say is 'no'...I'd go for it.

Insurance coverage is between you and your agent.

A good PPI will run the truck through a car wash and check for leaks...very basic stuff.

Did you check Lexus' service records prior to buying? A Lexus dealer can give you a printout of all services performed and/or declined...no charge.
Old 11-23-21, 08:10 AM
JMSLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have someone check the passenger side drain in the in sunroof. Happened to me on my driver side A-pillar. Cleared the blockage and haven't had an issue since.
The following users liked this post:
mental69 (01-22-24)
Old 11-27-21, 06:11 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Best do something soon. Important electronics for the navigation screen and sound system are under those front seats, and water damage will likely void any guarantee or warranty. For all they know, you left the sunroof open and it rained. And that’s your problem. A new amp will set you back about $1,200. When you have a damaged amp repaired, the shop will likely not give you any guarantee if they see that the failure was due to water damage.
Old 11-28-21, 03:44 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

^^^ On the contrary. Your auto insurance (If you have full coverage) will pay for the repairs if you leave your sunroof open in the rain. A similar instance a customers S550 flooded because the sunroof & wiper cowl drains were clogged w/ pine tree needles. $12,000.00 later the car was repaired on his 250.00 deductible. So, yes car insurance companies will pay for stupid.
Old 11-29-21, 05:08 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Doctor, haven you had this experience with Liberty Mutual? They did not cover the damage resulting from my sunroof water leak. I would sure like to get back part of the $1,500 that I have spent on amplifier repairs from water collecting under the seat.

The company did cover $11,500 wiring harness damage from rodents, as that came under “animal damage.” Perhaps I should try “a mouse ate my sunroof seal.”
Taylor622 (01-30-24)
Old 11-29-21, 05:49 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Doctor, haven you had this experience with Liberty Mutual? They did not cover the damage resulting from my sunroof water leak. I would sure like to get back part of the $1,500 that I have spent on amplifier repairs from water collecting under the seat.

The company did cover $11,500 wiring harness damage from rodents, as that came under “animal damage.” Perhaps I should try “a mouse ate my sunroof seal.”
OR your sunroof drains got clogged by debris & flooded your car which in turn damaged your amp. By design sunroofs are not water tight & the drains are what keeps the water out of the interior. Who ever handled you claim was an amateur. The S550 was also a sunroof leak / wiper cowl clog & Allstate paid it no problem. Allstate told me to replace the carpet due to the possibility of mold, I just said sure, OK, what ever you want.
Old 11-29-21, 06:31 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Those drains from the sunroof can also rupture....
Old 04-30-22, 08:03 AM
mricci
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue with LX 570 (water leaking inside on the passenger side). It turned out that CarMax replaced the windshield without disclosing it to me or Carfax. The did such a poor job and left gaps everywhere. Returned the car to them. Look for Lexus logo. Every Lexus glass has a Lexus logo on it. If your windshield does not have a logo - it was replaced.
EZmirza (12-04-23)
Old 04-30-22, 10:04 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mricci
Had the same issue with LX 570 (water leaking inside on the passenger side). It turned out that CarMax replaced the windshield without disclosing it to me or Carfax. The did such a poor job and left gaps everywhere. Returned the car to them. Look for Lexus logo. Every Lexus glass has a Lexus logo on it. If your windshield does not have a logo - it was replaced.
Even with the Lexus logo on the glass, a poor installation can happen. Unless the glass installer knows what they're doing, you'll get a half-az installation.
EZmirza (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 12:59 PM
EZmirza
5th Gear

Default Lexus 2011 LX 570 Windshield was Replaced then WATER LEAKED!

Well I had few Lexus recently sold 2001 LX 470 and purchase 2011 LX 570 it was from Maryland Toyota/ Lexus dealer the day I arrived to pick the truck the detailing guy snap the rearview mirror.
In order to fix that issue, they had to replace the entire windshield even the Toyota call third-party guy who install the generic windshield. Which’s FUYAO brand first I didn’t pay attention the installation guy was Two young kids was on the phone all the time and performing an install.
I had feeling it’s not going to be perfect some reason.
It was late drove it back to NJ few day no rain two weeks later when it rains.
Also have a Black Carpet didn’t realize it was some water leaking under the glove Box.

I will continue this thread of posting as much information I have collected.

1- first I realized maybe the sunroof drain is block. Since I have ONLY LEXUS BRAND since 1988 I known where that could be a drain opening in the sunroof. Two small hole each Conner is a drain hole.
I’ll add some photos later on thread.
How to clean it was simple NEVER USED WIRE HANGER. I used weed whacker string about two meter push it slowly then moving into the circle.
this is the same way on other side now if the outside temperature is 35F I used Dishwashing soap with the lukewarm water to lose debris.

2- Then I used small air pressure to push debris out and repeat it twice on each side.

After cleaning and close the sunroof ran a water sprinkle hose test..

IT WAS NOT THE SUNROOF DRAINS! The WATER still LEAKING EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE UNDER THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT.

I’ll continue and post the results my findings!

My next Step is to open the COWL cover and inspected under if there was any gaps or THE GLASS INSTALLATION FOLKS LEFT THE UNCOVER AREA!
Before removing the COWL Cover first you need to markup your wiper location it should be sited on black polka dots on the windshield.
If you have a heated windshield in my LX 570 yes put the Painter tape and remove the wipers…
I’ll do that if weather permit it 32F in NJ..

Not the OEM Glass

Water was dripping

Water leaking

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1016.mov (14.11 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by EZmirza; 12-04-23 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 01:30 PM
mental69
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things to check:
1) the sunroof drain at the front of the passenger side. With the roof open, you can run thick grass trimmer line through that to clear any blockages. Good tutorials on this in ih8mud.
2) Check seal of underhood cowl against your windshield on the passenger side. Lits of ways to address this. I've used clear silicone caulk on a GX460 I had.

BTW - check your cabin air filter. If you're seeing water on the floor, might be soaking that filter too and you will need to replace it before it molds.
Mental
Old 01-29-24, 07:40 PM
EZmirza
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ufdlim
New to me 2010 LX - fantastic condition and everything checked out in the two PPIs I got. Drove it 1000+ miles into the Canadian Rockies back country - performed exceptionally. Well, three months later the rainy season hits. It has rained for three weeks straight.

Last week I noticed the passenger side pooling water on top of the floor liner. On a whim, I also wanted to change the cabin air filter. The filter was fully soaking wet.

Obvious causes being obvious, I had Lexus fully flush the moonroof and other drains during my oil change. They also noted that the windshield was aftermarket and likely not sealed correctly on the passenger side. Today I noticed the cabin air filter was again wet after the rain.

I want to explore replacing the windshield with OEM. Bought my LX at AutoNation but I’m well beyond their 10 day guarantee or whatever.

Should I explore AutoNation paying all or part of the replacement? Assuming they won’t, can I even get this covered under insurance if my windshield is not “broken”? Should I just cut my losses and buy something else as I have no idea how long water has been pouring into the cabin of the previous owner?
Well I had the similar experience. My windshield was replaced by Toyota Dealership at the time of purchase Lexus Lx 570 since it was small spot they replaced the generic windshield. But the person who replaced the windshield made a major mistake NOT TO PUT ALL THE Pieces from the Cowl plastic where the windshield meets and wiper area.

After dealing with water leaks on side, passenger side under the glove compartment it was in it straight from the crawl at the cabin air filter which leads me outside area at the end I purchase the full Cowl assembly $650 from Lexus and replace it WOW Solve the problem it could be a disaster since all the electronic components where it was leaking.