Help on buying Decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 07:30 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help on buying Decision

Hello here
I am thinking of buying an used 2009 lx 570 with about 115k miles. Service record looks impeccable and the dealer is asking about $32k. A second one I am laooking at is a 2011 with 121k for around $35k. That one is via carmax
Any insight and thoughts would be much appreciated, including whether it would be good for another 100k mile, is this price point a good one, any other gotchas I need to be aware of etc. before I take the plunge.
I am looking at two main uses. 1) for towing the boat around 4500 lbs for the total rig. And 2) some light off roading/camping with the kids.
One other main goal is that I plan to take this down to the Utah Yellowstone area for a crazy long once in a lifetime drive in maybe a couple of years. Or maybe a couple of those in the next five years.
I can post the link to both those cars if that would be helpful.
Any thoughts on why I would not be choosing those cars for the uses I have in mind or whether I might be better off going in for a gx with lower miles?
If I did get one of these, that would be my lifetime but aka something I would probably keep for another. 12 -15 years
Looking forward to all your comments and suggestions.
Old 01-08-22, 07:15 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Service history is important, but reliability / peace of mind is also important especially when you transport your family and going longer trips. To me, I would get an extended bumper to bumper warranty. For 3-5k will give u peace of mind for 4-6years unlimited miles. Radiator / Wheel bearings / shocks / bushings / AHC / even the amplifier should be looked at. Not too worry about Engine / Transmission / Diff / Transfer case. You should also 'on occasion' engage the center diff lock. I think carmax offers extended warranty for all cars they sell. Maybe the Lexus Dealer will offer extended warranty (not via Lexus but 3rd party I would assume) but some of these 3rd party warranties are a pain to claim. You need to compare both warranties offered by diff sellers. Good luck!
Old 01-08-22, 09:42 AM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments. So would I be better off getting an 2013 on Carvana for about $15k more or am I looking at the same issues. If I were to get this one and fix the stuff you mentioned radiator/ bearings/ bushings/ shocks …. Would that run up to $15k or would it be lower? I ask because I would feel better doing those on my own over time than perhaps assuming it will last based on the low miles. From the engine/ transmission perspective I am guessing that it does not really matter whether it’s at 114k or 73k for planning some of those really long drives in have in mind in the next two years. Am I thinking about this right? I would also have a couple of years to assess the situation before going out with the family. My one reason for the Lx over anything else is that I think I should feel confident taking it for 10k trips even at those high miles relative any other car with more than 50k miles or something like that.

Originally Posted by z32
Service history is important, but reliability / peace of mind is also important especially when you transport your family and going longer trips. To me, I would get an extended bumper to bumper warranty. For 3-5k will give u peace of mind for 4-6years unlimited miles. Radiator / Wheel bearings / shocks / bushings / AHC / even the amplifier should be looked at. Not too worry about Engine / Transmission / Diff / Transfer case. You should also 'on occasion' engage the center diff lock. I think carmax offers extended warranty for all cars they sell. Maybe the Lexus Dealer will offer extended warranty (not via Lexus but 3rd party I would assume) but some of these 3rd party warranties are a pain to claim. You need to compare both warranties offered by diff sellers. Good luck!
Old 01-09-22, 03:55 AM
kwelhand
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly suggest you look at the engine very carefully.
I made an error overlooking at the engine think it was bulletproof.
Not so much, my used newly purchased LX is still in the shop (over 2 weeks now) for various of engine leak.
Engine oil, gas leak from injectors and also coolant leak somewhere from cam valley (pink crystal).
Very costly and not easily visible unless you remove the cam cover.
Believe me, I went underneath the LX and spent almost an hour examine any sign of oil or coolant leak and checked all seals prior to purchase.
Personally, I would go with CarMax and return it to them or get it fixed if anything happens within 30days or something.
Yes, I purchased it from a reputable Lexus dealer, and they wouldn't even consider fixing anything... AS IS.

Last edited by kwelhand; 01-09-22 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 07:34 AM
arags
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear that. That sucks. Thanks for sharing , even I was going in with the impression that the engine and drivetrain was bulletproof. Just out of curiosity and to expand my knowledge, how did you figure out the issue if you did not see anything visually? Did something like a check engine light come on ?

Originally Posted by kwelhand
I would highly suggest you look at the engine very carefully.
I made an error overlooking at the engine think it was bulletproof.
Not so much, my used newly purchased LX is still in the shop (over 2 weeks now) for various of engine leak.
Engine oil, gas leak from injectors and also coolant leak somewhere from cam valley (pink crystal).
Very costly and not easily visible unless you remove the cam cover.
Believe me, I went underneath the LX and spent almost an hour examine any sign of oil or coolant leak and checked all seals prior to purchase.
Personally, I would go with CarMax and return it to them or get it fixed if anything happens within 30days or something.
Yes, I purchased it from a reputable Lexus dealer, and they wouldn't even consider fixing anything... AS IS.
Old 01-09-22, 10:20 AM
kwelhand
6th Gear

During routine preventive maintenance.
I’ve noticed that my coolant and oil level slightly drops over the time.
You can’t find this type of issue unless you’re a mechanic or drive the car for some time.
There was pretty much no sign of leak when you look directly above or under the engine.
Take it to a Lexus dealer (one other than where you’re purchasing) for a pre-purchase inspection… well worth the money IMHO.
Also, watch out for the AHC fluid level and quality.
My local Lexus dealer quoted me over $4K for AHC accumulator replacement and flush… YMMV.

Originally Posted by arags
sorry to hear that. That sucks. Thanks for sharing , even I was going in with the impression that the engine and drivetrain was bulletproof. Just out of curiosity and to expand my knowledge, how did you figure out the issue if you did not see anything visually? Did something like a check engine light come on ?
Old 01-09-22, 06:32 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

BTW, I will try not to buy from Carvana. It's convenient, but just google recent news, alot of customers (various states) having trouble registering their vehicle w/ the state (customers as a result cannot even drive their 'new' car! Some has been having such issue for over a year) because Carvana never / have not provide them w/ the title / documents. Florida even threaten Carvana's license to operate in the State of Florida by (I think) end of Jan if Carvana not provide customers necessary documents.
Old 01-10-22, 06:59 PM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your help. I decided to go with a gx460 instead. Maybe in my next avatar I will be able to afford an Lx
Old 01-11-22, 02:55 AM
kwelhand
6th Gear

Another excellent choice!
I came from a heavily modified GX470.
GX460 is very capable truck with upgraded rear axel compare to the GX470.
However, space and power are unequal when comparing to LX.
Good luck with your quest... you can't go wrong with either fine vehicles.

Originally Posted by arags
Thanks all for your help. I decided to go with a gx460 instead. Maybe in my next avatar I will be able to afford an Lx