LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Which would you go with for CarPlay and why? Beat-Sonic vs Naviks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22 | 07:58 AM
RebootIS
Rookie

Exclamation Which would you go with for CarPlay and why? Beat-Sonic vs Naviks

Hey all -

I've been reading about Beat-Sonic vs Naviks for CarPlay and I think I've got a decent idea for what each one does and they're fairly comparable. I'm hoping to gather information from those of you who have actually installed these in your 2016-2020 LX cars and see how you like them and see if you have gripes or second thoughts on your decision?

Hoping to order a unit this coming week so your thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-22 | 07:05 AM
RebootIS
Rookie

Well, this didn't go anywhere...lol. I'm thinking Naviks just because Beat Sonic has a stretched out look on the widescreen.
Old 04-05-22 | 08:59 PM
burnthe
Driver School Candidate

the beatsonic has long since corrected the stretch. it is now normal. worth the extra money because beatsonic is more reliable from my research. i ordered the grom vline and then canceled it before it shipped and instead bought the beatsonic. just installed it last sat. it's perfect.
The following users liked this post:
RebootIS (04-08-22)
Old 04-08-22 | 09:04 AM
RebootIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by burnthe
the beatsonic has long since corrected the stretch. it is now normal. worth the extra money because beatsonic is more reliable from my research. i ordered the grom vline and then canceled it before it shipped and instead bought the beatsonic. just installed it last sat. it's perfect.
Just spoke w/ BeatSonic and they confirmed the stretch is gone and I just got put on their waitlist for the next batch.
Old 04-14-22 | 11:01 AM
fliptrix
Advanced
CL Folding 100000

I like the beatsonic unit that I installed myself. Pretty straightforward to install yourself and it works well in my opinion, have not had any issues with it whatsoever. I have not tried it out with apple carplay as I only have android. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...o-upgrade.html
Old 04-27-22 | 06:46 AM
RavenRemix
Rookie

So I was just about to hit the button on the NAVIKS unit since it had glowing reviews over on IH8MUD. The rationale was that it has the wireless CarPlay, and with BeatSonic you have to do some of those Bluetooth workarounds (accessibility options to use the factory system) on iPhones. My plan was to pay Lexus the $600 for the wireless charging cradle and stick that under the stereo when it comes out, then just throw the phone in there to charge while the NAVIKS does its thing, seems to be a more 'factory' setup.

But I'd love to hear cons here if people have them.
Old 04-27-22 | 02:38 PM
hzhao
Racer

I installed Lsailt unit for both my 2016 LX and 2014 GX, have been used almost two years now, no major issues and integrated well with the OEM head unit well.
BayeauxLex (06-01-22)
Old 05-09-22 | 08:56 AM
RavenRemix
Rookie

I installed the NAVIKs unit. I'd imagine they order and test some kit you could probably get for cheaper on Ali Express, and add their manual or label. I have no idea how to tell which unit they use. It was one box. Installation was mostly straightforward, they included a cabe that is NOT used at all, which I wonder why they would do that when they ask for your make/model and what you plan to do with the unit.

The DIP switches were already set up for me. I went with this option again due to a review on IH8MUD, and the fact that it offered wireless CarPlay. I was shocked that it worked first try. The biggest time constraint was fishing wires and cable management. The box does seem to get warm during use. Switching back and forth between CarPlay and the factory system does seem to 'reset' the factory NAV to a zoomed out view of the map, and you never know what the state of the split view will be. I'm guessing the factory system gets 'phantom' inputs while you are working on the CarPlay overlay.

My biggest gripe with the system is that Left/Right on the controller stick seems impossible to figure out. Do I center the joystick each time? is there an invisible mouse cursor flying around the screen? No idea! There apprears to be haptic feedback but I can't tell if that's because the underlying factory system is being triggered.

If you just setup what you want to do on the phone and leave it it seems to work great. I didn't do the bluetooth workaround; the system appears to hear me and "just work" using calls within CarPlay. The wireless feature is amazing, I mounted their antenna under the center console, closer to the driver's side to minimize distance between the phone and the antenna.

I put the box behind the carpet on the passenger side, and thus introduced a little bump there. I'll likely go get some foam tape to wrap the box in to keep it from being rubbed/abused behind the carpet liner. I left it there for easy removal/replacement if the box burns out.

Final result. Wireless CarPlay is indistinguishable from being wired in terms of audio and screen responsiveness

Box mounted behind the carpet here

Finished job. The wires there are for Anker MagSafe vent-mounted plates I use to mount driver/passenger phones.

Testing phase prior to routing wires.

Ended up having to remove the glove box, originally tried to do the install without removing this as I didn't want to mess with the airbag there.

Mounted the antenna on the inside plastic by the driver seat, forward of the cool box.

My initial disassembly of the trim.
pkim1078 (05-28-22)
Old 05-26-22 | 05:21 PM
Driver School Candidate

Installing mine this weekend. Mine didnt come with install instructions, so I emailed naviks. Hopefully I will get them. What is the bluetooth workaround? Is there an issue with the BT? What is the antenna for? Is it for the bluetooth?
Old 05-26-22 | 06:19 PM
RavenRemix
Rookie

The wires are pretty mistake proof. The bluish ones go to the screen, the other ends to the little box, and the big white chunky ones go to the back of the radio. The antenna is for wireless CarPlay. I mounted it under the center console as I imagined keeping my phone in the tray with the Qi charger. NAVIKS is pretty good with the tech support, I got an irate guy who would make snide remarks but in the end he explained what was needed. I had one thick black wire with two white connnectors that went unused, don’t know why the included it.
Old 05-28-22 | 09:49 AM
Driver School Candidate

Did u need the video rca connectors and the power wires that were spliced into the main harness?
Old 05-28-22 | 10:00 AM
RavenRemix
Rookie

No that’s only if you are trying to add a third party camera system. They are part of the main harness so just let them dangle.

the 3mm audio jack can also be buried if you don’t ever intend to use it as a source.

i routed the usb cable under some of the carpet trim, you can buy a usb extension cable if you want to put it elsewhere. I’d have put a hole in the center console for it but I have the cool box option so I left it hidden but accessible if I ever want to use CarPlay wired. I have used it exactly twice wired, can see no difference in quality or map response.
Old 05-31-23 | 10:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I purchased the beat sonic unit with wireless Apple CarPlay and android auto for my 2020 LX
I used beat sonic in my 2002 & 2007 SC430s, great interface, support/knowledge and reliability from the company.
looking forward to the installation adventure.

installation video
Old 06-14-23 | 12:53 PM
5peedRacer
1st Gear

Hello, new member here... Thought I'd contribute since the information I found was helpful (Paying it back). I removed the BeatSonic & Jenson Double Din Receiver from my recently purchased 2003 SC430. I purchased a Factory Lexus Stereo (to go back to Factory) then installed the Naviks system, backup camera & Jenson window mount FM antenna but installed it behind the glovebox & simply unplugged the Factory Antenna at the trunk. I leveraged the great posts on this Forum (Very Helpful) Youtube Videos & Naviks support number for this Modification.
Lessons Learned:
Install the Naviks unit under the fuse panel cover in trunk... makes it easy to get to when adjusting the brightness on monitor later. Getting the brightness and contrast right for viewing with/without sunglasses takes time using the Factory and Naviks adjustments (No mention in the Naviks instructions)
Remove the Woofer behind the backrest... makes it easier to run the cables without removing any Factory electronics or metal supports in trunk as Naviks instructions call for. Time saver
Install the Naviks unit with short antenna under the Factory Lexus Cup Holders. Once I placed it here, the wireless Apple CarPlay worked flawlessly.
Install the USB port in the Factory Lexus lower Center Console Box (the one that has the Factory Lexus Cigarette Lighter Port) Makes it easier to add a wireless charger to the Cigarette Lighter and lay flat in the box bottom. Allows you to hard wire or wireless Apple CarPlay while charging wirelessly.
Install the Naviks button for switching to Apple CarPlay below the Factory Lexus ignition switch.
Pushing button while FM radio is on turns on Apple CarPlay... pushing and holding for 3-4 Seconds turns on Apple CarPlay but allows you to play radio (AM or FM). I did not see this mentioned in the Naviks Instructions. Once I figured this out, I realized everything was working flawlessly & as designed.
Expect the Factory Lexus speaker(s) to be blown & plan for replacing the foam outer peice(s)... this is my next Modification so left the woofer out of car. Hope to leverage more content from other contributors and post lessons Learned soon.
Thx for reading this far :O)
5peedRacer
Old 06-14-23 | 04:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I'm not sure why I kept reading "this far".

Try paragraphs next time and welcome to Club Lexus
Bgw70 (06-14-23)

Quick Reply: Which would you go with for CarPlay and why? Beat-Sonic vs Naviks