LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 off-road worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 08:52 AM
Yorksail00
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LX 570 off-road worthy?

I've had 4 Land Cruisers (1997-2016). I gotta say this new crawl control feature is incredible. I can go up and over just about anything. Snow is the most enjoyable when going over a large hill or embankment. It has an advantage over the Land Cruiser pre-2022. Highly encourage you to take the LX off-road and push the upper limit. Anything else would be tragic.

Crawl control is relevant, and rewarding.
Old 06-14-22, 05:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorksail00
I've had 4 Land Cruisers (1997-2016). I gotta say this new crawl control feature is incredible. I can go up and over just about anything. Snow is the most enjoyable when going over a large hill or embankment. It has an advantage over the Land Cruiser pre-2022. Highly encourage you to take the LX off-road and push the upper limit.
Is there a difference between your LX and my 2015 Cruiser?

My Land Cruiser definitely has crawl control.

I agree with the comment on Crawl Control on my LC...almost like having a copilot...aim it and it knows where to go.

Last edited by hankinid; 08-11-22 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 06:02 AM
Surfy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool to see - that such rigs are used for offroad!

I did install arb diffllockers on mine - what did let me avoid crawl mostly. Mine is a Land Cruiser 200 with an V8 Diesel - what is pretty same same to the lx who was sold to the US with gasoline engine. It has too crawl, ahc, and all the luxurary stuff.

Crawl do an amazing job - but sometimes you can need momentum (speed) - to cross the top on the hill. To be honest - I had to use that once during my international journeys of 75`000 miles - as I did try to cross am official closed andean mountain pass - and never in "usual" conditions.

And Crawl did save me saverall times, as some locals try to let get me stuck - and I didnt has use the lockers in front. So - Crawl is very good in my eyes! --> https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021...erlanding.html

trippin
Old 06-15-22, 06:20 AM
Yorksail00
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some differences worth noting

Originally Posted by hankinid
Is there a difference between your LX and my '13 Cruiser? I agree with the comment on Crawl Control on my LC...almost like having a copilot...aim it and it knows where to go.
The main difference is the suspension and digital gadgetries. My 2016 had the dynamic kinetic suspension that was reasonable. The older ones have just a regular coil over suspension if I'm not mistaken. The 2021 LX570 has na air suspension. It is a lot more comfortable to drive on/off road. It will auto-adjust based on your load and you can lower and raise your vehicle at slower speeds. The pic you see above is raised to get over the top of incline. You can also set it to auto lower when you turn the car off for easier ingress/egress. If you hook a trailer up it will sense the weight at the tongue and auto-level. It's really helpful and allows for easier towing.
You do get a little nicer interior with 3rd row seats that are adjusted electronically. Heated/cooled rear seats. Small nuances that most people wouldn't care that much about.
Otherwise, it's a Land Cruiser. Same engine and platform. They went with an 8-speed transmission in 2016 for both. Worth the Lexus premium? The suspension alone was for me. Otherwise, a fancified Land Cruiser by all accounts.
Old 06-15-22, 09:13 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Pretty sure Lexus still uses the hydraulic AHC system on the LXs, not air. The GX uses air in the rear shocks.
The following users liked this post:
KBWLX570 (05-30-23)
Old 06-15-22, 09:52 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yorksail00
The main difference is the suspension and digital gadgetries. My 2016 had the dynamic kinetic suspension that was reasonable. The older ones have just a regular coil over suspension if I'm not mistaken. The 2021 LX570 has na air suspension. It is a lot more comfortable to drive on/off road. It will auto-adjust based on your load and you can lower and raise your vehicle at slower speeds. The pic you see above is raised to get over the top of incline. You can also set it to auto lower when you turn the car off for easier ingress/egress. If you hook a trailer up it will sense the weight at the tongue and auto-level. It's really helpful and allows for easier towing.
You do get a little nicer interior with 3rd row seats that are adjusted electronically. Heated/cooled rear seats. Small nuances that most people wouldn't care that much about.
Otherwise, it's a Land Cruiser. Same engine and platform. They went with an 8-speed transmission in 2016 for both. Worth the Lexus premium? The suspension alone was for me. Otherwise, a fancified Land Cruiser by all accounts.
Mine runs oem suspension and that means coil-over shocks and hydraulic lean control. The LX has hydraulic suspension, as did it predecessors...NOT air.

There's a registered commercial truck scale half a mile or so down the street. I've weighed the Cruiser with and without the trailer, and with and without 1, 2, or 3 horses loaded in the trailer
Old 08-11-22, 01:55 PM
turbo8
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, take them off the road!
The following 4 users liked this post by turbo8:
bibika027 (12-24-22), Bimmer32 (12-09-22), sprcarrera (01-03-23), WWS (01-18-23)
Old 11-23-22, 07:52 AM
Surfy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Shot!! Amazing!

Is the with AHC Equipped or with normal springs?

Mine is sold - im often sad about :-(

trippin
Old 11-23-22, 08:23 AM
turbo8
10th Gear

Tundra front suspension swap, AHC delete, King 3.0 shocks\hydro bumps, TRD Rock Warrior wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Ko2 A\T, 4.88 gears, F\R E-lockers
Old 12-09-22, 10:01 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

in my case, i am going to be 95% highway roadtripping, and 5% overlanding. I live in New England, where there are no overlanding trails, and will need to drive 1000 miles west to hit the good ones.

so the issues i am dealing with:
it has geolander H/T tires now. i am looking for something that can handle highway snow and ice better, and the ocassional offroad trip, without having too much highway noise. Leaning toward Wildpeak A/T3Ws

i have looked into adding a front winch, and it does not seem too practical. the LX has all sorts of gizmos and gee-whiz stuff in the front bumper to just bolt one on. so i guess i am packing a manual come-along

Need to get under there and see what the recovery points look like. if they are not very sturdy, the some aftermarket ones are going in.

that is about it, and i am hoping that will get me over moderate offroad trails.
Old 12-09-22, 10:58 AM
turbo8
10th Gear

The factory recovery points are pretty sturdy and should work fine for the type of off-roading you will be doing.

If you have an early model version you will have 2 recovery points on the front and 1 in the rear. The later year LX's only came with 1 front and 1 rear recovery point.
You can buy the factory recovery points and bolt them in if you only have 1.

If you want some aftermarket ones PM me on IH8MUD, same user name.
Old 12-09-22, 06:20 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbo8
The factory recovery points are pretty sturdy and should work fine for the type of off-roading you will be doing.

If you have an early model version you will have 2 recovery points on the front and 1 in the rear. The later year LX's only came with 1 front and 1 rear recovery point.
You can buy the factory recovery points and bolt them in if you only have 1.

If you want some aftermarket ones PM me on IH8MUD, same user name.
Those are NOT "factory recovery points". They're there to tie down the truck on its ocean voyage from Japan to its destination. Off-road recovery hardware is available from off-road shops and websites and it's designed accordingly.

A ring attached to the trailer hitch works well for pulling the truck backwards.
Old 12-09-22, 06:40 PM
turbo8
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hankinid
Those are NOT "factory recovery points". They're there to tie down the truck on its ocean voyage from Japan to its destination. Off-road recovery hardware is available from off-road shops and websites and it's designed accordingly.

A ring attached to the trailer hitch works well for pulling the truck backwards.
Curious what your experience is with the tie downs?

There are tie downs and recovery points on the 200 series LC and LX. The recovery points are rated for around 7300lbs.

All after market recovery points use the same 2 bolt locations that toyota provided.
Old 12-10-22, 02:55 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

i have read that the LX front recovery points ARE in fact very sturdy. there was an analysis on IH8Mud about them.
Old 12-11-22, 03:53 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

There not recovery points there tie downs for the shipping containers and transport trucks stop spreading misinformation. You have to purchase aftermarket tie down hardware dont use these points cause you can damage your truck very badly or kill or injure yourself or others, if you do not know what you are doing. Theres soft shackles, kinetic engery ropes etc, that people use for off road recovery and not everyone does stuff the same.

On safety note your pulling from the front of the truck put the hood up for some protection. If you don't understand why then you shouldn't be offroading.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 12-11-22 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: LX 570 off-road worthy?