LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Rear dynamic turn signals installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 02:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts
Thumbs up Rear dynamic turn signals installed

I want to start a new thread on this subject as the original one created some confusion along the way. There is a quite learning experiences and credit to j0mama who started this project and shared very important first hand experiences. For those one who interested, I an going to post detail process as I have went through. But first, here is the result:

The following 4 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (04-11-18), Hrocks (06-04-24), j0mama (04-11-18), lexus4jess (12-15-21)
Old 04-10-18, 02:35 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks nice.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 03:30 PM
hzhao
Racer

Here are the basic material requirement and step in order to have dynamic turn signal (sequential turn signal) installed on US spec LX570 (2016+) as we seen at other market. You need to obtain the full set tail lights which include all 4 units (two on the outer corner and two on the tail gate). The sequential driver circuits are built into the lights and two inner lights will also have the strip of LEDs. The only tools needed are 10mm socket driver and trim remove tools. Remove two outer corner lights are easier, all you have to do is to drop the lower gate, take off two plastic cover, there are two bolts hold on each side hold the lights. Just remove the bolts, using a little force to pull the lights out as the side of lights are held by slips. To remove inner lights on the tail gate, you will first take off the tail gate trim, starting from the top where the center stop light located. They all held by clips, just using the trim tool and pry the plastic covers off, they are inter locked, so take out the top, then two sides around the back window, then the larger piece. The inner light is half by 5 nuts, in order to access those nuts, you will need to remove the speakers, and the side service access penal, its a corner metal piece held by 5 Philips screws and two plastic tap and door stop (held by two 10mm bolts. It sounds complex, but as soon as you actually working on it, it is pretty easy to follow and just to make sure you counter the right amount of screws. One word of caution, the speakers are held by screws on self expansion foot, when you take the speaker off, just be careful and not to break the foot off. After that, replacing those lights are just a simple job. Driver side are just plug and ply with new set of lights. The passages side will need some work. Not complex, but time consuming. Here is why:

Look at wiring diagram, and compare the light sockets on the passages side, especially the one for the corner light, there are two pins missing (#1 & #2, pictured in highlight yellow), those are two wires connect with inner lights to trigger the sequential. So, I had to run two wires from the socket on tail gate, fishing through the rubber boot then down to the side of the weather strip. Since there are no pins on the socket on corner, I have to tap the wire off the lights itself and made a customer connector (see following pictures):

This is when things getting interesting. After all of those, I found it didn't work. More so, it give me the fast flashing on dash indicator, meaning I have the turn signal light out. That made me thinking: On US spec lights, there is the only corner one, so when you turn the switch, it flashes. But on sequential on, the corner one didn't illuminate until the end, so the power source to the cover lights was triggered by inner light finishing their sequence. If inner didn't get initial power when switch turned on, the corner will never lit, thus, the ECU will "see" the light was out. With that logic, I looked the circuit diagram again, and further finding out, there was another missing wire which I have marked on top. The reason you would miss that one is pins are exist on both harnesses, however, if you look closely on the diagram, the passages side has additional junction point for the connection, therefore, the US spec LX are missing the connection after junction point. Since driver side didn't go through the junction points, that is why everything is there at first place. So, I had ran the third wire by tap from both harnesses. With previous experiences to run two wires, the third one was not that difficult after all. (following are final pictures for the third wire)

After that, all left were just to get everything organized and put everything back. Now if we can figure out how to make the front sequential that would be perfect, But That might be much more challenge if replace headlights are required. If so, I am happy with just the rear ones for now.
walkyourwa (08-23-21)
Old 04-10-18, 07:25 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That is surprising, I didn't need to add the other wire. May be a fact that I am in Canada?

j.
Old 04-10-18, 07:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by j0mama
That is surprising, I didn't need to add the other wire. May be a fact that I am in Canada?

j.
I was going to say if Canadian spec had some slight difference on configuration. Since body wire junctions carry many forms of wires for various components, slight variations are very much possible.
Old 04-10-18, 07:44 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Well in Canada, when you order/get the truck, there is no options. Seems everything is included. So the wiring may be different...

j.
Old 04-11-18, 08:55 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats awesome!
US models should have this. The audis are still far ahead using celis rods for tail progressive and turn signals in front (u dont see individual leds in these)
What were part numbers for tail lights?
Old 04-11-18, 04:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

That is sweet!!! I like
hzhao (04-11-18)
Old 04-11-18, 06:37 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
thats awesome!
US models should have this. The audis are still far ahead using celis rods for tail progressive and turn signals in front (u dont see individual leds in these)
Will get you the part number shortly. I had few numbers and just want to be sure those are correct ones.

As for the US market, there is a current law that DOT has required the initial illumination of the turn signal MUST meet certain area of size and illuminance. So what Audi has done for US market, the initial illumination utilized break light then sequentially go through the strip. It is also why most European models in US using Break lights for turn signals along and made all turn signals be red to combine with break lights to meet the "Area of size" requirement. Until we revised current DOT requirement and laws for turn signal, We are not seeing it happen as OEM option. Technically speaking, by modifying the turn signal that way, it could be getting citation if someone really be tough and specific on it. Its goes the same when you modify any lights (LED, HID, etc) if does not meet DOT approved requirements.
Old 04-11-18, 06:57 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4Fun
thats awesome!

Back Door Lights
81581-60420 LENS AND BODY, REAR LAMP, RH
81591-60430 LENS AND BODY, REAR LAMP, LH

Combination Lights
81551-60C20 LENS & BODY, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, RH
81561-60C20 LENS & BODY, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, LH

Last edited by j0mama; 04-11-18 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added labels.
hzhao (04-11-18)
Old 04-12-18, 06:36 AM
hzhao
Racer

Back Door Lights
81581-60420 LENS AND BODY, REAR LAMP, RH
81591-60430 LENS AND BODY, REAR LAMP, LH

Combination Lights
81551-60C20 LENS & BODY, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, RH
81561-60C20 LENS & BODY, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, LH
Did you happen to have the Japanese spec headlight/turn signal wire diagram? I have US spec from TIS website, would like to compare to see if the sequence driver is built into the lights or external. I suspect it was on the light itself just as rear ones, then will be way to cost to replace them.
Old 04-12-18, 08:42 AM
j0mama
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
Did you happen to have the Japanese spec headlight/turn signal wire diagram? I have US spec from TIS website, would like to compare to see if the sequence driver is built into the lights or external. I suspect it was on the light itself just as rear ones, then will be way to cost to replace them.

Its in the headlight, the only thing I see different was the output for the cornering lights... That is my next project...
The following 2 users liked this post by j0mama:
hzhao (04-12-18), lexus4jess (05-30-23)
Old 04-12-18, 12:45 PM
hzhao
Racer

Its in the headlight, the only thing I see different was the output for the cornering lights... That is my next project...
Yep, by comparing the wire diagrams, other than cornering lights, there is not much of different. I did noticed on US spec, the headlight ECU pin #21 & 22 were connected via single wire, but on Japanese spec, it connected by double wires. Not it will make any difference from circuits point of view, but just strange. I will connect techstream in next couple of days to take look the ECU presenters if there is any surprise there.

I know other markets do get cornering lights and rear fog lights. I guess that I can leave without it. To take off the front grill for access headlights and fog lights will be too much of the work for me and its way outside my comfort zone
Old 04-12-18, 04:39 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I am not mistaken, I believe the headlamp control module is located on the outside of the headlamp assembly and it is attached to the bottom. If that is the case, there is a possibility that by just replacing the control module itself might make the sequential turn signal work. From one of the post where J0Mama posted a link for the Japanese Yahoo auction, there was a specific seller that was selling the headlamp turn signal plus the control module which led me to believe we don't need to replace the entire headlamp. Just the module will do.
Old 04-12-18, 05:08 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Yep, by comparing the wire diagrams, other than cornering lights, there is not much of different. I did noticed on US spec, the headlight ECU pin #21 & 22 were connected via single wire, but on Japanese spec, it connected by double wires. Not it will make any difference from circuits point of view, but just strange. I will connect techstream in next couple of days to take look the ECU presenters if there is any surprise there.

I know other markets do get cornering lights and rear fog lights. I guess that I can leave without it. To take off the front grill for access headlights and fog lights will be too much of the work for me and its way outside my comfort zone
Ah, I've already had it off, not that of a big deal, I know from the bottom with inner fenders off I can see the wiring for the lights, I have to check if the wiring for the turn lights are there, I should have taken pictures of it when I had it apart to tap a wire to the existing fog lamps, for my add in lights.

Quick Reply: Rear dynamic turn signals installed