LX - 4th Gen (2022-present) Posts related to the LX600 belong in this forum

Piece of Crap Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23 | 06:52 AM
HarkinBank
Rookie

Default Piece of Crap Navigation System

What a piece of crap the Navigation System is in the LX 600. I was not “off road”, just out of cell coverage. I did have satellite coverage (SXM) and GPS, but not cell coverage. So my guess when I bought the damn thing was correct, the Navigation system runs off of cell coverage but DOES NOT have a HDD/GPS backup system that it switches to when it looses cell signal. WTF? **** poor design for Lexus’s high-end, off road SUV. Yes, I was on paved roads, and no I was not in the backcountry. At least the previous (prior to 2022) LX’s had an HDD/GPS navigation system that ran anywhere, all the time.

Guess I’ll have to buy an OnX Off-road annual subscription and run it through Apple CarPlay to navigate in Wydaho.

Two 👎👎 to Lexus.

HB

Old 05-17-23 | 07:59 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Oh that is interesting……so mapping is via cell signal like our cell phones? With no preloaded maps? Wow that is disappointing.
Old 05-17-23 | 08:37 AM
sumfingwon
Rookie

Good to know. I normally download offline maps on google, since I lose reception in the mountains.
Old 05-17-23 | 09:05 AM
HarkinBank
Rookie

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Oh that is interesting……so mapping is via cell signal like our cell phones? With no preloaded maps? Wow that is disappointing.
Yup. Very disappointing. Also spoke with dealer and confirmed that the Nav system operates off of cell and no HDD/GPS backup.
Old 05-17-23 | 05:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarkinBank
Yup. Very disappointing. Also spoke with dealer and confirmed that the Nav system operates off of cell and no HDD/GPS backup.
There's a small "plus" in linking oem map feature to a mobile phone...no more need to see a dealer for the latest Nav update. For my iPhone, it was simply downloading the map app, saving it, and then using it to transfer Garmin map data to the phone.

hth
Old 05-18-23 | 07:28 AM
sumfingwon
Rookie

Originally Posted by hankinid
There's a small "plus" in linking oem map feature to a mobile phone...no more need to see a dealer for the latest Nav update. For my iPhone, it was simply downloading the map app, saving it, and then using it to transfer Garmin map data to the phone.

hth
I agree, using the phone is much much better. If you're using this for offroad, there are a lot of better options vs using the factory gps system.
The following users liked this post:
trent (06-02-23)
Old 05-18-23 | 07:50 AM
HarkinBank
Rookie

Originally Posted by hankinid

hth
Agreed, but as stated in the original post, I wasn’t off-road when this happened. I was on a paved road traveled by millions every year.

And as a heads up to everyone, I believe this Lexus “service” is free to the owner for the first 5 years and then Lexus will start charging for it.

HB