LX - 4th Gen (2022-present) Posts related to the LX600 belong in this forum

LX600 F Sport Passenger Side Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 03:07 PM
lextoys
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LX600 F Sport Passenger Side Wind Noise

Is anyone experiencing a wind noise or "plastic crackling" type noise coming form the front passenger side A pillar/dash area when reaching freeway speeds of 60 mph+? Trying to trace it to a seal/gasket or something else but having a hard time. Seems louder as the driver than it does as the passenger, but that may just be how the sound is travelling in the cabin. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by lextoys; 07-06-23 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
3ZERO8 (10-22-23)
Old 07-07-23, 07:22 AM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I have the exact same thing. It’s happens at about 70-75 for me. I have not been able to locate it. I do not have the optional roof racks either
Old 07-07-23, 07:37 AM
sumfingwon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I get this noise with my wife's 2022 Toyota Highlander. After some research, it looks like air going into side mirror, causing a whistling type noise. Is that what you hear? There is a fix with people opening up the mirror and adding some insulation inside.

It is normally a couple of things, the trim around the door/window or the side mirror.
dwilli57 (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 07:59 AM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

Very well could be. I have never been able to directly locate it and there is absolutely nothing visibly loose, parked or at full speed. Tbh, it doesn’t bother me terrible, I just don’t want anything to be wrong/broken. It wouldn’t be worth opening up the mirror imo but I might adjust the mirror around and see if it helps.
Old 07-07-23, 08:24 AM
lextoys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sumfingwon
I get this noise with my wife's 2022 Toyota Highlander. After some research, it looks like air going into side mirror, causing a whistling type noise. Is that what you hear? There is a fix with people opening up the mirror and adding some insulation inside.

It is normally a couple of things, the trim around the door/window or the side mirror.
I will try those fixes. I don't know that I'd call it a "whistle" as it's not high pitched. It's almost like paper "crackling" or a very thin piece of plastic vibrating if that makes sense? Will adjust mirror and even put some insulation in there for a test drive and report back....
Old 07-07-23, 12:10 PM
lextoys
Driver School Candidate

Took it for another high speed test drive with a passenger. Got it up to 80 and folded side mirrors in but it made no difference. Also tried opening and closing windows just to see if that did anything as well as moved sunroof cover, opened and closed glove box, etc. Noise kept appearing intermitently but only at 70 or greater mph. Moved the passenger seat all the way forward so I could sit on the edge of it and move my head around different areas to try to track the noise. Found it in the upper portion of the A pillar grab handle when I placed my ear against it at high speed. Not sure where the air flow or rattle is coming through there, but it's definitely in that area and obvious when your ear is pressed against the plastic.

Taking it in Monday for them to look at it. Hopefully my tracing it helps them solve it. Will report back...
dwilli57 (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 12:26 PM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

Please do report back. I’d love to know if there is any fix. My issue is the exact same, same location too. Definitely not a whistle.

Last edited by dwilli57; 07-08-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 08:02 AM
sumfingwon
Rookie

How about the inside fender liner? If one of the plastic clips is broken, it can be flapping around at high speeds. I have also seen this happen to 4Runner owners.
Old 07-11-23, 06:35 AM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

My fender is tight. No loose clips. Everything seems so secure. Puzzling
Old 07-12-23, 09:12 PM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

None, no. It's one of the quietest cars from the "side" I've ever had. I had a back seat rattle from day one that was due to a "broken clip within the rear seat latch" that my dealer fixed in a day, but nothing since.

See if your dealer has a great rattles/noises person, that's what mine claimed and had it fixed same day.
Old 07-12-23, 09:16 PM
lextoys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwilli57
Please do report back. I’d love to know if there is any fix. My issue is the exact same, same location too. Definitely not a whistle.
The dealer says it's the roof rack and there's a TSB on it but no fix yet. They were able to hear the noises. I still think there's something going on in the A pillar grab handle but perhaps it's a weird airflow situation from the roof rack or the A pillar. We shall see.
Old 07-13-23, 04:08 AM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a roof rack? I have the rails obviously but I do not have the optional roof racks
Old 07-13-23, 04:56 PM
sumfingwon
Rookie

Originally Posted by lextoys
The dealer says it's the roof rack and there's a TSB on it but no fix yet. They were able to hear the noises. I still think there's something going on in the A pillar grab handle but perhaps it's a weird airflow situation from the roof rack or the A pillar. We shall see.
Good to know, I have the optional roof racks. I do hear a whistle, but I wrote it off as I heard it on my 4Runner with Thule racks, and on my wife's highlander (Toyota roof rack).
Old 07-15-23, 09:32 AM
HarkinBank
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tsr

So is it the roof rails or the cross bars? I have both and yes, when installed, the cross bars are very noisy (wind noise). I took them off and only install them when needed (Thule box, ski rack, etc.). Much quieter when off.

Did the OP take the cross bars off, perform the same tests, and end up with the same results (identified noise)?

HB
Old 07-15-23, 09:43 AM
dwilli57
Driver School Candidate

I don’t have cross bars and have this noise issue.
HarkinBank (07-15-23)

Quick Reply: LX600 F Sport Passenger Side Wind Noise