LX - 4th Gen (2022-present) Posts related to the LX600 belong in this forum

Sequoia vs LX600 Rant...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 02:55 PM
kristisipe
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying a house is all about location, location, location. Buying a Lexus/Toyota is also about the location where the car is made. You want a Japanese car buy one designed/tested/made in Japan! They know how to build great quality cars in Japan! There is no build quality/Luxury comparison between the LX and Sequoia! LX is the King of the road and will last many many decades if it's taken care of, period!
Old 01-26-22, 03:04 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

But I am sure, toyota is ensuring the quality controls as they do in Japan. the only variable are the are folks working.
Old 01-26-22, 03:34 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kristisipe
Buying a house is all about location, location, location. Buying a Lexus/Toyota is also about the location where the car is made. You want a Japanese car buy one designed/tested/made in Japan! They know how to build great quality cars in Japan! There is no build quality/Luxury comparison between the LX and Sequoia! LX is the King of the road and will last many many decades if it's taken care of, period!
All true, but very few care to keep their vehicle that long. The Sequoia far outsold both the LC and LX combined in the US.

The LX does not appeal to many buyers in the US, hence the low sales. People want a large SUV in the US. I think they will not be able to keep up with the demand of the Sequoia, but time will tell. 🤷‍♂️

The following users liked this post:
VentoGT (02-02-22)
Old 01-26-22, 06:41 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Toyota already said they'll 'drop / lower' the quality of their vehicles to boost service / parts sales / maint / lower cost. So I am not sure when / how / which
Old 01-26-22, 07:04 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
All true, but very few care to keep their vehicle that long. The Sequoia far outsold both the LC and LX combined in the US.

The LX does not appeal to many buyers in the US, hence the low sales. People want a large SUV in the US. I think they will not be able to keep up with the demand of the Sequoia, but time will tell. 🤷‍♂️
Toyota has only one factory dedicated to LX/Land Cruiser trucks...I'd say it's a capacity issue.

Their US plant had "issues" when they started their 5.7L engine line...maybe more but I haven't kept up.
Old 01-26-22, 08:16 PM
kristisipe
Driver School Candidate

Everything you say is true. On the other hand, I'm glad there are few people who can afford to buy/keep/maintain LX. A King would not be a King if there are too many Kings on the roads! LOL!

Last edited by kristisipe; 01-26-22 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-27-22, 02:27 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Everything you say is true. On the other hand, I'm glad there are few people who can afford to buy/keep/maintain LX. A King would not be a King if there are too many Kings on the roads! LOL!
I just don’t see the LX being any nicer than the upper trims of the Sequoia. It appears the new Sequoia lost some of its cargo and 3rd row leg room, so that is a negative. Plus no more full time 4wd.

The main issue is Lexus does not offer a true full size SUV to compete with the other brands. The LX is nice, but has done very poorly since the Sequoia was introduced.

Don’t get me wrong, the build quality the LX is unmatched, but these vehicles share so many parts, that the difference is shrinking.

All depends on the price difference between the Sequoia and LX. I would not pay $30k more for the LX, but that is me. I really like the Sequoia having the hybrid standard, should be fun to drive.

👍👍
Old 01-27-22, 02:29 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
Toyota has only one factory dedicated to LX/Land Cruiser trucks...I'd say it's a capacity issue.

Their US plant had "issues" when they started their 5.7L engine line...maybe more but I haven't kept up.
My concern would be issues with this new turbo engine. As noted in Chat, the Tundra had a few wastegate issues that appears to require a lot of work. Hopefully this just affects a very limited amount of vehicles. That is what scares me, whether a Tundra, Sequoia or LX.

Old 01-27-22, 09:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

My concern would be issues with this new turbo engine. As noted in Chat, the Tundra had a few wastegate issues that appears to require a lot of work. Hopefully this just affects a very limited amount of vehicles. That is what scares me, whether a Tundra, Sequoia or LX.
The waste gate fix involves lifting the body off the frame to access the waste gate. Probably not something to do on your driveway on a Saturday morning.
Old 01-27-22, 09:27 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by hankinid
The waste gate fix involves lifting the body off the frame to access the waste gate. Probably not something to do on your driveway on a Saturday morning.
Way out of my league 😂
Old 01-27-22, 11:54 AM
kristisipe
Driver School Candidate

I just don’t see the LX being any nicer than the upper trims of the Sequoia. It appears the new Sequoia lost some of its cargo and 3rd row leg room, so that is a negative. Plus no more full time 4wd.

The main issue is Lexus does not offer a true full size SUV to compete with the other brands. The LX is nice, but has done very poorly since the Sequoia was introduced.

Don’t get me wrong, the build quality the LX is unmatched, but these vehicles share so many parts, that the difference is shrinking.

All depends on the price difference between the Sequoia and LX. I would not pay $30k more for the LX, but that is me. I really like the Sequoia having the hybrid standard, should be fun to drive.

👍👍
I get what you are saying.

I'm just not a big fan of smaller engine + turbo system + hybrid system. I guess I'm old school. I want reliability, reliability, and reliability. That's why I bought a 2020 LX570 instead of waiting for LX600. As matter of fact, as soon as I heard LX600 might possibly be using hybrid system, I rushed out to buy a LX570.
Vlad6525 (05-26-22)
Old 01-27-22, 01:32 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

I get what you are saying.

I'm just not a big fan of smaller engine + turbo system + hybrid system. I guess I'm old school. I want reliability, reliability, and reliability. That's why I bought a 2020 LX570 instead of waiting for LX600. As matter of fact, as soon as I heard LX600 might possibly be using hybrid system, I rushed out to buy a LX570.
Excellent choice. Will last a long while.

Old 01-27-22, 05:09 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Delete delete

Last edited by jeverett72; 01-27-22 at 05:21 PM.
ragabnh (01-27-22)
Old 01-28-22, 07:38 AM
Cadusom
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Land Cruiser vs. high-trim Sequoia comparisons have been a give and take forever. You're either a LC person or you're not. I have had three straight vehicles with panoramic roofs and my kids hate it, not an issue for me. I don't care about the $$ difference and I don't want a hybrid. The new Sequoia looks fantastic BTW, it's just way too big and I will continue to mock people trying to park vehicles (usually pickups) like this.
Old 01-31-22, 03:15 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I still have mixed feelings on the LX600; dont know if I like it enough to get rid of the lx570; I never could get myself to like the ls500 when I gave up the ls460.the 570 is bullet proof and apart from terrible mpg there isn't a con
Excellent choice. Will last a long while.
The following 4 users liked this post by UZ214:
ClaytonW (01-31-22), mbarron37 (01-31-22), pkim1078 (02-07-22), Vlad6525 (05-26-22)

Quick Reply: Sequoia vs LX600 Rant...