LX - 4th Gen (2022-present) Posts related to the LX600 belong in this forum

Sequoia vs LX600 Rant...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 09:08 PM
zonehawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sequoia vs LX600 Rant...

With the new unveil of the 2023 Sequoia is anyone reconsidering getting an LX600? I feel like I am.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/standin...make-its-mark/

The Sequoia has the same engine but with the hybrid drivetrain as standard so more power and more efficiency which is not yet an option on the LX600. Both run on the same platform, with adaptive variable suspension being available but the Sequoia also offers slightly higher towing capacity. Pictures show the Sequoia has a panoramic moonroof on the Capstone Trim which isn't an option on the LX600. If it follows the Tundra (which it appears to be) the Sequoia will have a rear view mirror with video which is only on the Ultra Luxury Trim of the LX. The Sequoia will have trims and packages to option the same MTS and Crawl Control systems as the LX with the addition of a rear locker which isn't available on the LX. The Sequoia Capstone will have the same semi-aniline leather with acoustic glass as the LX as well.

With the prices of the top of the line Capstone Sequoia likely being around or less than the base LX it makes me wonder what would drive me to the LX.

Ignoring the Ultra Luxury 4 Seat LX (which is more of its own class) the FSport package is certainly a differentiator but with the Hybrid in the Sequoia I suspect the Sequoia will be quicker in a straight line. The FSport LX will have the handling advantage with its uniquely tuned suspension but if you're trying to buy a vehicle that feels sporty, a 7 seater SUV is probably not the first thing that comes to mind. So really the things the LX still has which gives it some boost in the ranking.... the plant in Japan where the LX is made is known for trying to achieve perfection in build quality and reliability. The LX has adjustable ride height control as an option once you get to the higher trims, the Sequoia will only have an option for rear air suspension (similar to the GX and new Tundra). The LX has a fold flat third row (although I think the Sequoia doesn't because of the hybrid battery being underneath). Finally, the LX has permanent 4 wheel drive although many may not care about that vs the Sequoia's 2H, 4H, and 4L part-time system.

Is that enough to drive you to the LX? Is the Lexus name and the 300 Series platform worth the extra cost?
So what would drive you to one or the other, what other considerations would you have that may not be covered or considered? It makes me speculate that Toyota/Lexus released all the details on the LX600 prior to the Sequoia to avoid the direct comparisons that would have been made had the Sequoia been revealed first with its standard hybrid system. /end rant

Last edited by zonehawk; 01-26-22 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Removed line about TRD Pro being permanent 4WD
Old 01-25-22, 09:31 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I like the Sequoia but it wont fit in my garage, currently my 2017 LX570 fits with 6" clear at each end. So if I upgrade it should be LX600. I don't like to park my suv where it's exposed to the elements.
Old 01-25-22, 11:44 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I owned the previous generation of Sequoia for a few years. It was a great family SUV. But it had selectable permanent 4WD with lockable Torsen center differential. The current Tundra has part-time 4x4 only. It's a big difference. Toyota probably could not afford to spend more money for development of the new Sequoia and decided just to modify the new Tundra. That's also the reason why it has a solid rear axle (the previous generation used an independent suspension). O.K., it's better for offroading but really bad for a family SUV. There is much less space at the rear seats and it's also the reason why the seats cannot be flat folded as all other competition can. So, I would never consider the new Sequoia. Probably all the competition is better.
BTW, where did you find that Sequoia TRD Pro would have permanent 4WD? I did not read it anywhere and I don't believe it. Toyota would have to design it just for Sequoia TRD Pro and it would cost too much.
Old 01-26-22, 03:18 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Comes down to price difference. More power in the Sequoia is great. Will need to drive it to see how comfortable the Sequoia is over bumpy roads. Should be a home run.

I would consider it over an LX, especially if there is a substantial price difference. There is not a ton of difference between vehicles with this all new shared platform.

I like the looks of the TRD Pro version, but would be concerned about ride quality, which is important to me. Love the “18 TRD wheels, I would not take the 22” even if they were free.
Old 01-26-22, 04:33 AM
lx600fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

JESUS I FREAKING KNEW SOMEONE WOULD POST THIS, LMAO LAST NIGHT THOU GHT SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! PULLING DEPOSIT OUT NOW

Old 01-26-22, 05:31 AM
zonehawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
BTW, where did you find that Sequoia TRD Pro would have permanent 4WD? I did not read it anywhere and I don't believe it. Toyota would have to design it just for Sequoia TRD Pro and it would cost too much.
I could be interpreting this wrong and will correct my post if that is the case but this is from the press statement. "Sequoia will be offered in 2WD or the available part-time 4WD system on SR5, Limited, Platinum and Capstone grades. TRD Pro will be offered only in 4WD."

That said, in the media pictures it shows the TRD Pro Interior with the 2H, 4H, 4L selector. So my statement above may be incorrect and I'll make the adjustment.

Last edited by zonehawk; 01-26-22 at 05:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ClaytonW (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 07:15 AM
LXCDN
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does a base LX600 have that is better than a Capstone Sequoia? Besides premium fuel, slower engine, lack of a pano roof? This does not make LX600 a very good proposition in North America. Globally they don't get the sequoia, so LX600 makes sense everywhere else. North America the LX 600 does not compete well against the sequoia ( unless the capstone is more $$ than a base LX600, which obviously it will not be)
zonehawk (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 07:20 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Considering the same. The New sequoia kinda seems like the US consolation prize for the lack of a Landcruiser. Pricing and how it drives are unknown right now. I think the TrD pro looks great; capstone not so much. It does irk me that for the price of the TRD Pro (guessing at least 80k), you are still sitting on polyurethane. I want luxury and ruggedness, (something the LX), but with the room of the Sequoia. The FF Range Rover LWB actually checks all the boxes except for the crappy reliability part lol.
zonehawk (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 07:39 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Toyota probably going to use the Sequoia to test the durability of the newer hardware such as the pano roof / fully digital gauges etc. too risky to put newest tech in a flagship vehicle. but the Toy Sequoia has some 'good to have' features that the LX600 doesn't (at least for now), IMO it's a different category / status...like comparing a Chanel bag w/ a Hermes one. If one is looking for features and value, the Toy Sequoia rules over the LX.... Like a Hyundai Genesis vs a MB E. But the new Sequoia does look pretty good inside and out (comparing the current version). Well done Toyota!
Old 01-26-22, 07:53 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I absolutely love the trd version. The previous sequoia drove much like the tundra. More truck like.
the lx drives completely different. Hard to explain but like a vault.
i had a 4runner too much wind noise and other rattling that bothered me.

but this looks good and i can use the extra interior too.
Old 01-26-22, 07:53 AM
lx600fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yall are just looking for excuses to not drop 100k, LX > SEQUOIA.
Old 01-26-22, 11:14 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LXCDN
What does a base LX600 have that is better than a Capstone Sequoia?
I have to repeat that: The current Sequoia does not have permanent 4WD. No lockable center Torsen differential. It's a big difference. Today all competition has at least some form of Auto 4WD mode. Tundra has nothing and that's the reason why Sequoia also has nothing. Toyota could not afford to spend money for the real new full size SUV (Sequoia sales were pretty low) so they decided just to slightly modify Tundra.
The previous Tundra was a great SUV in 2008 when it has been introduced. It was the first full size SUV with independent rear suspension so it had tons of rear space comparing to its competition. Now, everyone offers independent rear suspension but Toyota came back with a solid rear axle. It's better offroad, but anything of the Sequoia's size is too big even as an overlander. The previous Sequoia had the best available 4WD. Even better than Land Cruiser/LX. It had a very unique option to use 2WD and switch to permanent 4WD using Torsen center differential. And it could be also locked as on Land Cruiser or LX. Now, it has nothing like that. Just a simple part time 4WD.

Last edited by ClaytonW; 01-26-22 at 11:22 AM.
Nuggetman (02-04-22)
Old 01-26-22, 11:52 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

folks over here driven the sequoia back to back? the drive is not even comparable. lets see what the new sequoia brings to the table. I honestly like the current LX570 that I have, but the TRD always had a set soft in my case. I did own a 4runner for a while but it was not refined and I got tired of driving it long distances. With LX I can drive 10 hrs straight and it does not feel like a chore.
Old 01-26-22, 11:58 AM
zonehawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UZ214
folks over here driven the sequoia back to back? the drive is not even comparable. lets see what the new sequoia brings to the table. I honestly like the current LX570 that I have, but the TRD always had a set soft in my case. I did own a 4runner for a while but it was not refined and I got tired of driving it long distances. With LX I can drive 10 hrs straight and it does not feel like a chore.
I will be curious to see when driving impressions are able to be released. With now both being on the same platform and likely sharing parts I feel the differences won't be as far apart as we saw in the past. The LX will always be more refined, comfortable, and quiet but I'm not convinced that the differences will be big as what we see with the LX570 and previous Sequoia.
Old 01-26-22, 12:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

I hope you are right, if that's the case I would pick up a sequoia and still keep my LX. I tried to buy a sequoia few times but never could get over the ride, wind noise and the plastic dated interior. It drives very similar to a tundra. LX is no bmw handling wise but it does drives surprising well compared to the current sequoia. when we go for camping trips we wish that we could lay the all seats flat and but a air bed and sleep in. With LX its not even possible

Originally Posted by zonehawk
I will be curious to see when driving impressions are able to be released. With now both being on the same platform and likely sharing parts I feel the differences won't be as far apart as we saw in the past. The LX will always be more refined, comfortable, and quiet but I'm not convinced that the differences will be big as what we see with the LX570 and previous Sequoia.

Last edited by UZ214; 01-26-22 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Sequoia vs LX600 Rant...