How easy is it to get a refund on these “refundable deposits”

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 12:04 PM
UmerW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How easy is it to get a refund on these “refundable deposits”

Greetings, All.

quick question as I have never been through this experience before: how easy is it to get a refund on your “refundable deposit”?

I am after a 2022 Lexus LX600 and the dealership is asking to put a deposit down. Considering the horrendous stories around car dealerships and the general consensus on trustworthiness within the car sales industry, What I truly after is your experiences on how easy it is to get this refundable deposit back and how much effort is required in getting back?

I am in the DMV area (DC, MD, VA) and Pohanka Lexus told me they have a waiting list that is over 70 people long and they are expecting a roughly two year waiting time. Which is why I am asking this question that what if after waiting for a year I don’t wish to wait any longer and want my deposit back, am I going to lose my money or will they refund it back without creating a mess for me.

thanks so much for your input, in advance.
Old 03-04-22, 12:52 PM
gscottmarl
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You should discuss with your dealership about their refund policy. The dealership in Texas is not requiring a deposit to be placed on a waiting list. There are currently 120 people on the waiting list which would be at least a two year waiting list. They are charging MSRP as it is their policy not to charge over MSRP. My LX600 luxury should be arriving this weekend 🙏🏻
The following 2 users liked this post by gscottmarl:
UmerW (03-04-22), vraa (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 03:05 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by UmerW
Greetings, All.

quick question as I have never been through this experience before: how easy is it to get a refund on your “refundable deposit”?

I am after a 2022 Lexus LX600 and the dealership is asking to put a deposit down. Considering the horrendous stories around car dealerships and the general consensus on trustworthiness within the car sales industry, What I truly after is your experiences on how easy it is to get this refundable deposit back and how much effort is required in getting back?

I am in the DMV area (DC, MD, VA) and Pohanka Lexus told me they have a waiting list that is over 70 people long and they are expecting a roughly two year waiting time. Which is why I am asking this question that what if after waiting for a year I don’t wish to wait any longer and want my deposit back, am I going to lose my money or will they refund it back without creating a mess for me.

thanks so much for your input, in advance.
No input to write other than it depends on the dealer. I get better use of our $$$$ buying something a year or 2 old...no deposits required.
Old 03-10-22, 08:28 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 638 Likes on 409 Posts

I had to do this for an LC last year at one dealer.

After holding $5k for 4 months, I had to Ask for a refund after they couldn't get the interior I wanted...finance department refunded my CC within 24hours.

Simple.

Old 03-11-22, 08:03 AM
UmerW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355F1
I had to do this for an LC last year at one dealer.

After holding $5k for 4 months, I had to Ask for a refund after they couldn't get the interior I wanted...finance department refunded my CC within 24hours.

Simple.
Many thanks to everyone who contributed and helped.

Made the deposit with a dealership. Judging by the numbers before me, I think I will be lucky if I get one delivered before a minimum of two years wait time.