Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 08:35 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper blades?

ya... i think i need to replace my wiper blades some time in the near future since they don't wipe so great in the rain. ive never replaced wiper blades b4 and i have no clue which ones are good. i guess i want something that lasts long and works well in the winter time. and plus any suggestions on how to find the best deals.

thanks in advance
-JR
Old 11-04-03, 09:03 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bosch are good

when you screw the wipers back on... dont just hand tighten it, get a wrench or something to tighten it, or else it wont work
Old 11-04-03, 09:06 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toyota OEM, Bosch, or PIAA

If you're replacing just the rubber inserts, go with the Toyota/Lexus OEM inserts. If you want to replace the entire blade/wiper assembly, I'd recommend Bosch (I think the line is called Micro Edge) or PIAA Super Silicone. The Bosch should be available at most chain auto parts stores, the OEM ones at a Toyota or Lexus dealer, while the PIAA's might be a little trickier to find in stores--your best bet for PIAA would be The Tire Rack, a friendly ClubLexus sponsor

I personally have the OEM ones (just replace the inserts), and a friend installed the Bosch's on my recommendation, and I've been in his car in the rain, and they work as well as any wiper I've seen. Can't speak for the PIAA's, recommending them based on accolades from other people on this forum.
Old 11-04-03, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Periodically, wipe your blades off with a soft wet cloth to get a lot of dirt and grime off the wiper.
Old 11-05-03, 02:44 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I've got PIAA Super Silicones on both cars but haven't tried the Bosch MicroEdge. The PIAAs work quite well and are pretty durable. They come with what smells like RainX to pretreat the windshield with and supposedly this silicone based coating is complemented by the silicone impregnated blade.

Sounds like a wad of advertising crud but it does appear to work. Bought the last set from TireRack.
Old 11-05-03, 08:48 AM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A year or two ago, Consumer Reports rated the oem Toyota blades the best.
Old 11-05-03, 10:49 AM
muldrick
Rookie

Originally posted by csaxon
Toyota blades are the best! and seem to last forever. (graphite coated) Replacing just the rubbers would be cheaper anyway
Old 11-05-03, 10:51 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Yup....csaxon is right! The October 2000 issue of Consumers Reports(page36) gives the best ratings for wiper blades to Toyota Corporation.
Old 11-05-03, 04:06 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know the average life expectancy of OEM Toyota Blades? (I'm in CA, doesn't rain all that much)
Old 11-05-03, 05:37 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Can I just go to a Toyata parts center and ask them for Gs400 wiper blades? I don't want to go to the Lexus parts center since they jack up the price like 500%.
Old 11-05-03, 07:13 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I called up Toyota to see if they have wiper inserts (to be replaced) for the wiper arms in my ES, and they said they only have inserts for Toyota wiper arm assemblies, not the Lexus Evidently both brands have different specs. I went to Lexus today to have the passenger insert replaced, and the driver arm assembly replaced (they did not have a driver insert at the right size for me). Costs me $26 total (FYI, OEM wiper insert is about $8). It was raining pretty hard going home, and I enjoyed the whisper-quiet wiping on my waxed windshield during the drive I have to agree that the OEM wiper blades are the best.
Old 11-05-03, 07:49 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Currently I have PIAA blades on my 02 ES. put them on in mid summer. So far, they are excellent.
They did cost $26 for the long one and $22 for the short one. They come with a variety of hinges to fit any vehicle. They should last at least a year. For those looking for a little flare, the PIAA also come in a carbon fiber style. (I opted not for this one).

The Toyota/Lexus blades also get . Price is a little cheaper.

I have found in the past the Bosch blades lasted 6 months in New England (less than 4 if you have Rain X on the glass).

steviej
Old 11-06-03, 02:05 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Default i rececntly replaced mine

before i had stock blades which were doing a horrible job and then decided to get double bladed cheopo ones 15$ for a pair, (6 and 7), now i have ANCO wipers which do a great job, so i would go with anco wipers
Old 11-07-03, 05:32 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota blades are the best! and seem to last forever. (graphite coated) Replacing just the rubbers would be cheaper anyway
Originally posted by csaxon
I will remember this the next time I'm in for some routine service and they want to replace the blades that are working perfectly fine. Also using RainX so that may help lube the blades.

Last edited by parula; 11-11-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 11:48 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota blade is the best

Quick Reply: wiper blades?