Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dealer Maintenance Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 05:45 AM
Janicekla
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Maintenance Sticker Shock

In February I bought a 2021 Premium RX-350 with 13,350 miles. Due to the recall (for which there is no fix as of today) it was not eligible to be Lexus certified which means no initial free maintenance or warrantly beyond 12 months. At purchase they changed the air filters and the oil. I have put 6K miles on it so I decided to go ahead and get the 20K maintenance to get on the correct schedule. They were going to charge me around $360 for this. Oil change, tire rotation and air cabin filter. I was already there and had a loaner scheduled so I went ahead ahead with the oil and tire rotatation but I asked them not to change the filter and that reduced it by $100. I have read that changing the cabin filter is fairly simple so I will be doing that myself in the future. I plan to make other arrangements for oil changes and tire rotations in th future. My question here is there any interval service you recommend doing at Lexus? I was told the 30K service is $865 plus another $250 if you want the Fuel Service which would take it over $1K. Interested in your thoughts.
Old 07-10-24, 02:03 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts

I would take it in for major things, look through the service schedule (in your Warranty Manual) and pick out the ones that aren't the normal engine oil + cabin filter. Stuff like checking differential gear oil, flush brake fluid, etc. Anything that may require specialized knowledge of the car, or weird Lexus stuff. This will probably be around the 30k and 60k+ marks.
The main thing you are getting with each overpriced oil change is the techs (if it's a good dealership) will check the main wear points and find problems before they get worse.
Those prices are largely in line with other dealers, costs are a bit higher at my Volvo dealership.

You may or may not know this yet, but the biggest thing you can do for the engine's longevity will be to change the engine oil more frequently. Lexus says every 10k miles, which is a joke (This is becoming common among car manufacturers, for other reasons besides your car's health). Change every 5k and you won't have to rebuild the engine at 120k.

If you can do the oil changes yourself or know a competent and reputable independent shop, easy to knock those out yourself. Stay away from jiffy lubes and Walmart/Costco at all costs.

Old 07-10-24, 04:11 PM
Undefeatable
Rookie

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

For me, dealership service department is only for warranty and recall work.

I am lucky enough to have a guy I use for most everything, and a few shops I can use for more major work. I would find a good independent shop near you that is experiences in Lexus/Toyota.
Old 07-10-24, 06:52 PM
Janicekla
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastershibe
I would take it in for major things, look through the service schedule (in your Warranty Manual) and pick out the ones that aren't the normal engine oil + cabin filter. Stuff like checking differential gear oil, flush brake fluid, etc. Anything that may require specialized knowledge of the car, or weird Lexus stuff. This will probably be around the 30k and 60k+ marks.
The main thing you are getting with each overpriced oil change is the techs (if it's a good dealership) will check the main wear points and find problems before they get worse.
Those prices are largely in line with other dealers, costs are a bit higher at my Volvo dealership.

You may or may not know this yet, but the biggest thing you can do for the engine's longevity will be to change the engine oil more frequently. Lexus says every 10k miles, which is a joke (This is becoming common among car manufacturers, for other reasons besides your car's health). Change every 5k and you won't have to rebuild the engine at 120k.

If you can do the oil changes yourself or know a competent and reputable independent shop, easy to knock those out yourself. Stay away from jiffy lubes and Walmart/Costco at all costs.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I have heard of a small independent shop nearby that specializes in Toyotas and Lexus and has a good reputation. Perhaps I will go there for the Oil and rotation in 5K miles and then to the dealership for the 30K. The dealer quoted $865 for the 30K and it includes alignment and replacing brake fluid in addition to the regular stuff. They also suggest an added $250 Fuel service at 30K miles. What do you think of that?
Old 07-10-24, 11:18 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like a plan. The 30k would be good for peace of mind and also to be on the dealer's books in case something goes wrong later.
I wouldn't bother with the "fuel service", if it's not in the Warranty service schedule, it is just money for them.
The following users liked this post:
chas410 (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 12:36 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would stay clear from the dealer except for recalls and warranty work. Just keep all receipts for any work done elsewhere.