Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Tire Low Pressure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:21 AM
LarryRedwing
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Low Pressure Warning Light

Tire Low Pressure Warning light. Tires are all set at 33 lbs. I reset the warning light. As soon as I travel on a highway the low tire warning comes back on.
Old Today, 10:41 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You don't say what vehicle or year which could help.
TPMS sensors in the tires have a lifespan around 10 years, give or take a couple of years. In one of my cars the warning light went off on the highway an hour into a 1,200 mile trip. I pulled on the shoulder expecting to see an issue, but all the tires had good pressure when checked with a gauge. It went out but came back on a while later. Turns out the battery in the 9 year old sensor was weak and needed to be replaced.
Also, the warning light will come on if the tire pressure is too high, as well as low. The tire pressure is set when the tire is cool and out of sunlight, usually I do mine in the morning. Also realize that as you drive pressure will go up. Setting at 33 in cool morning, it can go up 3-5 psi when driven and exposed to the sun.
Newer cars get around this issue by using the cars computer and ABS system using the tires rotation to calculate tire pressure. No more TPMS sensors in the wheels.