Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

My 2000 Lexus LX470 rides like a tank. WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-03, 01:32 PM
JERS69
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2000 Lexus LX470 rides like a tank. WTF

It is like it is stuck on high and it has a bouncy feel to the suspension when in comfort setting. Any Ideas here. When is that adj. suspension supposed to go up and down?(anytime or when you are stopped, when you have brake on, when)?
Old 11-28-03, 11:16 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You only adjust the suspension when the car is below 5 mph, all doors closed and engine running. I see some independent shop filled up the hydraulic suspension resoivor( by the firewall on the passenger side) with brake fluid or windshield washer fluid. This will contaminated all pumps for your suspension and it will give the tank like ride.
Old 11-29-03, 09:04 AM
JERS69
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
You only adjust the suspension when the car is below 5 mph, all doors closed and engine running. I see some independent shop filled up the hydraulic suspension resoivor( by the firewall on the passenger side) with brake fluid or windshield washer fluid. This will contaminated all pumps for your suspension and it will give the tank like ride.
If someone put something different in there what is the process to remove it. Would it ride alot worse when it was cold? A month ago it was riding like a dream...
Old 11-29-03, 11:23 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Depending on how bad of the contamination, sometime in the early state the owner cause soon enough you be able to flush it out. If the contamination is really bad you will have to get all 4 actuators and then flush it will Toyota Hydraulic fluid. The actuators are located/mount on the frame of the LX, round in shape and a pain in the neck to replace because of the location. Take it to Lexus and get them look at it, I think the actuator is around $200.00 each and the hydraulic fluid is about $75.00 per 1/2 gallon can. Really expensive fluid, but we never use it unless we have to do some contamination problem.
Have your LX ever been service at independent shop lately?
Old 11-30-03, 08:17 PM
JERS69
Driver

I have not had it serviced at any independent dealers lately. I bought the vehicle about 2 months ago, it was totally checked out by a Lexus dealer in Lubbock, Texas. They said everything was perfect.After about 100 miles it started to click in the motor(hole in exhaust manifold I hope, as it still has powertrain warranty and not full warranty)
I have a 99 GS300 that I love and so it had to be a new Lexus, settled on the 470 and now I have had 2 problems.

I did notice that the suspension fluid was quite a bit lower than the minimum fill line. I need to fill it. Also, when I drive it is like I am in a 1-ton Ford truck and all of the sudden it will just "change" and all of the sudden the suspension is all cushy again. I had to come home today and trade it for the Expedition because the ride was so damn rough.

It also seems like I can push the OFF button for the height control and sometimes it will not show OFF on the display. Do you think my height control system is just totally screwed or could all of this be caused by a simple low fluid in the suspension canister? Thanks for your help
I did notice today that the
Old 12-02-03, 09:10 PM
JERS69
Driver

tHANKS vvt-I
Old 12-03-03, 03:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

So, everything works fine Jers69? If so, I'm glad you got it fixed. On your last question I can't really answer it because I have to drive it and some diagnostic before I say something.
Old 12-03-03, 09:23 PM
JERS69
Driver

I found out the problem, the dealership said it was a bad sensor in the front left . They want a whopping 675 to fix it. They also tried to rip me off for 900 to replace cracked exhaust manifold, which is covered under the powertrain warranty and the California Emmissions warranty. I also have a drivers side mirror that is not working with the switch. Only one mirror. Thay said there is a panel that needed to be replaced for 900 more dollars. Finally said screw the mirror fix the suspension and fix the exhaust manifold under warranty and fix the suspension. Any ideas what this mirror fix is and a true cost to repair.
Old 12-04-03, 03:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

There's a TSB about the mirror problem which is involve replacing the mirror or mirror ECU depending on your vin# range. But sometimes you can get lucky by unplug the connector on the left kick panel and plug it back in then everything work perfect.
On your left kick panel, remove the plastic cover by the foot rest. You will see a big connector with a lot of blue wires( they all blue wires) and one 10mm gold bolt. Loose the 10mm, it will keep spinning and gently remove the big connector. Then get some compress air( key board cleaner) clean boths male and female end of the connector. Use some dri eclectric grease put on the connector with 10mm bolt. Then plug it back in and tighten the 10mm bolt until it snug. Good luck.
Old 12-05-03, 10:00 AM
JERS69
Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
There's a TSB about the mirror problem which is involve replacing the mirror or mirror ECU depending on your vin# range. But sometimes you can get lucky by unplug the connector on the left kick panel and plug it back in then everything work perfect.
On your left kick panel, remove the plastic cover by the foot rest. You will see a big connector with a lot of blue wires( they all blue wires) and one 10mm gold bolt. Loose the 10mm, it will keep spinning and gently remove the big connector. Then get some compress air( key board cleaner) clean boths male and female end of the connector. Use some dri eclectric grease put on the connector with 10mm bolt. Then plug it back in and tighten the 10mm bolt until it snug. Good luck.
Any idea how I find out if my VIN# qualifies? I know my dealership is not going to help me out a bit...Thanks again I appreciate your help VVT-i
Old 12-05-03, 01:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Jers69, I suggest you to try the trick above first, because the TSB only covered 4 years and 50K. It will need the new junction block and some of the pins in difference location have to be remove a real pain in the neck.