Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Mysterious dashboard light

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 08:27 PM
Jimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious dashboard light

Just purchased a very clean 91 LS 400. There is a RED intermittently flashing light in the instrument cluster. It is located immediately to the right of the ORANGE check engine light. It is not an icon, simply a round, red light, maybe a quarter or three-eights in diameter. So far I have not been able to relate the flashing to any particular behavior or action of the car. Sometimes it flashes, sometimes it doesn't.
The independent dealer (not a Lexus dealer, but very reputable) where I bought it, checked all the computer codes, and everything is fine. But he had never seen this light before, so he called a nearby Lexus dealer. They also had no clue. They checked a 91 LS 400 they had on the lot, and it had no such light.
Does anybody have any idea what this thing is, and what it may be trying to tell me.
I'm new to Lexus, so I really know absolutely nothing about the details of the cars, model differences, etc.
Old 12-15-03, 12:57 PM
mtsao
Driver

Hmmm. I have a 90 LS with optional Traction control, and when the TRAC system is activated, "TRAC" flashes in the cluster, right in the middle of the speedometer face. I can't say definitively until I get in the car tonight, but I can say with about 70% certainty that the TRAC light is immediately to the right of the Check Engine logo.

My guess is that TRAC is flashing (in orange), but it happens only intermittently and so briefly that it catches your eye but by the time you look it stops. There are a few ways to check if your car is equipped with Traction Control. 1) There is a plastic unit that sits on top of the engine near the firewall that is clearly labeled with 'TRAC'. 2) There is a "Trac Off' button located next to the ashtray in the center console. 3) When you turn the key to "On" you should see TRAC illuminated in the cluster for about 3 seconds.

Trac is normally activated most easily when you press the accelerator hard from a stop. The system detects when wheel slippage is imminent and it reduces the engine torque to prevent loss of traction in the rear. You will hear what sounds like a series of clunks from the rear when TRAC is active, and of course TRAC will blink in the cluster.

If you've tried and been unable to peel out in your car under any circumstances, then your LS is equipped with Trac.

Hope this helps, and welcome to CL!
Mike
Old 12-20-03, 11:37 AM
tech237
Rookie

its a front brake pad wear indicator light. orange circle w/ a bracket on either side........info in your owner's manual...