Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

OH NO! Oil Leak on pass. side engine...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 08:27 AM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH NO! Oil Leak on pass. side engine...

Looks like the Lex finally gave me some headaches! A small puddle of oil has slowly built up into a good sized puddle on my garage floor. From what I can tell, looks like the passanger side cam seal is leaking to death. Anyone else had this maintenance performed before? I talked to my super tech down at Lexus, and he said with 90K approaching my car right now, I should look to replace the Timing Belt and Water pump. I am inclined to agree with him. Just wondering if anyone welse has done this yet on thier car.

BTW I have a 98 GS400 with about 87K on it.
Old 02-08-04, 10:13 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced in my LS4 replaced at 90K service. It is recommended in the maintenance schedule from my Lexus dealer here. It will be many years before I put another 90K miles in my Lexus.
Old 02-08-04, 12:51 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I haven't had this service done on my car yet either, but if a cam seal is leaking, you should definitely replace timing belt since it's probably soaking in oil.

You should also replace the water pump and thermostat when you do timing belt since the cost of those two are just a few hundred more and it will cost you a lot more than that in labor if they fail soon after you do the timing belt. If I were you, I'd get all the cam seals replaced as well as the front main seal (front crankshaft seal).
Old 02-08-04, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally posted by PhantomZX
You should also replace the water pump and thermostat when you do timing belt since the cost of those two are just a few hundred more and it will cost you a lot more than that in labor if they fail soon after you do the timing belt.
I was given that 'line' by the dealer when we had the 90K on our RX. We went for it (nearly $2K with brake job too! ). Do you really think that's a good idea, or did you just hear someone else say that? Personally I think it was a rip.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-08-04 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-08-04, 02:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I was given that 'line' by the dealer when we had the 90K on our RX. We went for it (nearly $2K with brake job too! ). Do you really think that's a good idea, or did you just hear someone else say that? Personally I think it was a rip.
The water pump is driven by the timing belt and to do the water pump (if it leak in the future) they have to tear down the front part of the engine to get to the water pump. In most case(especially the 1st gen LS), the timing belt never break, but the water pump locked up and cause the timing belt to break.
On the VVT-i engine, it is a good idea( prevention) to replace the both timing belt and water pump before it break. The VVT-i engine is interference engine and if the timing belt break or water pump lock up it will bend the valve. Then we are talking about a few grand to fix it.
Old 02-08-04, 03:14 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

If you buy direct from Carson Toyota, the Lexus water pump is about $94 and the thermostat is only $12, and the extra labor shouldn't be more than an hour over the charge for the timing belt. I'd do this as preventative measure if I was doing my timing belt. I've had a water pump leak in a previous car, and I basically had them take it all apart again (including the timing belt) to put in the water pump that I should have done in the first place.

When I was back home in Idaho for an alignment, as I'm due for a timing belt change in about a year, and Peterson Lexus quoted me $525 total for the timing belt only. However, they mentioned it would run me $650 total (if I supplied my own OEM water pump). Something to think about for comparison.
Old 02-09-04, 11:46 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Paul, VVT-i is, of course, quite right. Water pumps were never designed to last a lifetime. On good old American cars, back in the day when I was a gas jockey, we expected 'em to last about 50k but wouldn't replace until they went bad since a) there were seperate belts for all the accessories, b) the pump usually failed by starting to leak at the fan bearing seal rather than locking up, and c) it was easy to get to and replace.

None of those things is true anymore. As I've posted before, I think some dealers like to maximize Service dept income by recommending "rough duty" service (or even more, in some cases) on ALL cars, regardless of operating conditions, but water pump and thermostat replacement should definitely be done.

VVT-i, what do you think about Phantom's recommendation about doing the cam seals, too???
Old 02-09-04, 03:19 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mooretorque, I would recommend the cam seals too. Because you already remove the timing belt covers and timing belt. Plus all the tensioner and seals will need to be inspected. But on some car like 98+ LS400 or 98+GS400, the cam seal is almost impossible to replace. You will have to remove the valve cover, the cam, and cam gear just to get to the cam seal that sit way inside because of the VVT-i cam designed.
Old 02-10-04, 07:03 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Thanks, and YIKES!! That'll be a goodie.................
Old 02-10-04, 10:36 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input guys.. I completely agree that sometimes these "upsells" are sometimes unnecessary. But it is always better to be safe than sorry later. Since all of the work is located in the same spot of the car's engine, it is MUCH more cost effective to do it now instead of waiting for something else to go wrong later.

BTW.. took the car to see my favorite master tech down here in Vegas, he did confirm that the pass. side outer cam seal is leaking pretty bad, also the VVT-i actuator is spitting some black gold too... Here are the total reapirs getting done by him this weekend:

Timing belt, VVT-i actuator reseal, new water pump, new radiator hoses (not really needed), of course radiator flush, oil change, cam seals replaced, valve cover gaskets, front crank seals, transmission service, diff service, and new t-stat. All for the low, low, low, low price of $850 out the door... Sometimes I love living in Las Vegas.

BTW... VVT-i is Completely right... Our motors are interference type and will be very expensive if a timing belt brakes! Better to get it done probably no later than 100K, but Lex does recommend 90K..
Old 02-10-04, 10:53 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow--that's a GREAT price for all of that by the Lexus dealer!

I would have thought it would be close to $2K for all of that! That's great to hear!
Old 02-14-04, 04:19 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good dealing you are getting. The VVT-i engine is tricky when it comes to cam seals. Yes, you will bend the valves if you don't know what are you doing.
JPI