Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Another article on Fram Oil Filters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 11:45 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Another article on Fram Oil Filters.

We all know this already so it's not new news to us but I figured I would post it anyway.
This was taken from a Mopar site.

"Everyone has an opinion on who makes the best <insert name of part>, but the real-world evidence of the potential danger to your engine from using Fram (and, to a lesser extent, AC) filters is sufficient that you won't find such a filter within 10 feet of any of my cars."

"After reading Matt Joseph's excellent article "Inside Oil Filters" in Skinned Knuckles magazine some years back, I bought and cut open several oil filters. Both he and I found some pretty nasty stuff inside Frams. He found twist-ties around the filter element (which under the pulsating pressure and heat, would almost certainly saw through the element in short order). He and I both found flaky rust inside the unplated filter "can". I found a cigarette butt in a place where it was evident it had gotten in there during filter manufacture! He and I both found sloppy glue jobs between the filter and its end caps, with gaps in the glue that would clearly allow unfiltered oil to bypass the filter."

"The best-built filters I found were the [endorsement of Mopar Severe Duty removed due to changes in the filter since this was written] Hastings LifeGuard, and Wix premium (also sold as NAPA Gold). I will use any of these filters."

"According to a recent, illustrated article at http://xoom.com/minimopars/ , the Mopar Severe Duty filter is now made by Fram, rather than by Wix. There was also a note on that page that Pennzoil filters may be Frams in yellow cans. It may be safest to stick to Wix, which manufactures their own filters, or Mobil 1 filters, which again are made by Mobil, rather than buying from a company (such as Chrysler!) that sticks their own name onto someone else's filter, and may change suppliers at any time."

"At this time there is mounting evidence, based on comparisons by several people in both the US and Canada, that the Mopar Severe Duty filter - and other Mopar filters - are made by Fram and are not of high quality."
Old 03-11-04, 10:39 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see how the oil filters make a difference if you change your oil every 3k miles, i just use bosch, cheaper than fram.
Old 03-13-04, 09:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

It actually make a big difference as to what kind of filter you choose. If one chooses to save a few bucks and get a below par filter, the quality of the filtration could cause excess wear & tear on the engine most of the time it's not even noticed by the owner. It's important that a quality filter media be used so any dirt in the oil over time is trapped and the oil allowed to flow freely without being clogged or slowed (this is especially important during the cold winter months when it is vital that the oil flow fast to moving parts at start up & a poor filter can prevent this from happening & cause engine damage as the years & miles add up as just one example). A new engine is several thousand dollars to replace....spending a bit extra for a good oil filter is cheap insurance and makes sense. It's ironic that Fram's slogan is " pay a little now or a lot later" as they are one of the worst choices out there.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 03-13-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-13-04, 10:01 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how is bosch? are they crap too??
Old 03-13-04, 10:09 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

From what I've heard they are ok, I personally have never used their oil filters. I use Mobil 1 myself along with Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic. Try doing a search on here, loc or google to see if you can find any write up's on the Bosch filters. Let me know.
Old 03-13-04, 10:39 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by persian451
so how is bosch? are they crap too??
Bosch/Wal-Mart SuperTech/AC Delco/Champ/STP/Mobil 1/K&N=Champion Labs filters
Old 03-13-04, 12:14 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by nthach
Bosch/Wal-Mart SuperTech/AC Delco/Champ/STP/Mobil 1/K&N=Champion Labs filters
Do you mean to say that the above brands are all made by Champion Labs, but all use different media grades and types, dependent on the buying company's specification? Do you have a link or info that links all of those brands to Champion Labs?

However, if you mean to say that they are all the same filter (which I don't think is what you mean), I would have a hard time believing that, as they have a different pricing scheme.
Old 03-13-04, 12:54 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Agreed Seattle! I sent champion labs 2 e-mails asking them to clarify this issue & even called their head office to speak with a customer service rep.....this was wednesday & I still have not heard back either way. It maybe the same company but as you said I too have a hard time beleiving that all these oil filters are identical in terms of quality (filter media, gaskets etc) with just a different color casing & name stamped on the filter. I have yet to find any information that states the Mobil 1 oil filter is the exact same as the others (close in some ways but NOT exact) I'm waiting patiently for confirmation on this matter.
Old 03-14-04, 10:17 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil filter study

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 03-14-04, 10:28 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Do you mean to say that the above brands are all made by Champion Labs, but all use different media grades and types, dependent on the buying company's specification? Do you have a link or info that links all of those brands to Champion Labs?

BITOG had many threads about these filters, they all share some mechanical attributes, but not media.
Old 03-14-04, 10:40 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

As stated in the study, the Mobil 1 filter is quite different than the others