Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

92 SC Wont start =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 01:16 AM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC Wont start =(

Well heres what happened. . I moved my car from the Driveway to the street to let out my girlfriends car out because i was blocking her. . .. . Left my car on the street for about 30 mins to watch the news or something then go back outside to move it back in the garage. . but. . . it didnt want to start. . *sigh* I mean Nothing happens. ..turn the key. . and nothing. . no Crank no nothing. .

tried jumping it with my neighbors Rav4 but nothing same result. . doesnt want to crank. . but he did mention that his battery doesnt have that much cranking joice for my lexus so dayam. . so i'm hoping its my battery. .
Well battery is about a year old. . so i'm hoping its the battery. . took it to AutoZone to check and they said its a good battery. . didnt really want to believe them so i took it to Kragen (right next to each other) they said the same thing. .
Well I checked the terminals .. disconnected my battery for 30 mins. . and nothing. . but i did notice that when i try to turn the key. . one of the console lights turns off the reciculate button. . So i'm out guesses . and i'm hoping i dont need a new starter nor a Alt.
Old 04-14-04, 05:16 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first thought it was the shift position lockout switch not working but I think if that was the case you would get dash lights coming on when you turn on the switch. When you turn on the switch you have no dash lights? When you turn the switch over to start you get nothing, no click, no dimming of lights, nothing?

Do the interior lights come on when you open the door? Does the light come on when you open the trunk?

What is the deal with the recirc light? Explain that in more detail.

George
Old 04-14-04, 09:38 AM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

All my dash lights work. . turn the key and nothin. . I tried again a few minutes ago and i heard 3 really small clicks coming from the engine bay. . about the recir button. . i left turned my A/C on and my CD player on, turned the key and they both shut off. . weird.. sorry i have no mechanical knowlegde

-Mikey
Old 04-14-04, 11:21 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Ok well if the dash lights work just try bumping the shift lever forward a few times with the heel of your hand. If it doesn't start then, use a small screw driver to push down the shift lock relase button and pull the lever back to neutral and try again. If still nothing push it back to park and try again.

These are just to try to free up the park/neutral position switch which is what I suspected was causing the problem. After all, all you did was start it up, back it out, shut it off and go back in to watch the news, right?

If those things don't work and you definitely hear a clicking coming from under the hood, then the problem is likely a defective starter relay.

George
Old 04-14-04, 03:46 PM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

Still nothing. . . tried hitting the shift **** putting the car in neutral. . then park still nothin. . I'm just going to call my friends dad over so he can atke a look at it. . and yes all i did was move the car, parked on street, came out nothing. . but thanks for the advice Carpe Diem
Old 04-14-04, 09:48 PM
BigJimbus
Driver School Candidate

I would suspect your problem is a bad ground.

I'm not sure what these cars ground to, but I would take a multitester and put it between the battery and whatever the ground is and see if you have continuity.

Then you can determine if you have a bad connector or cable.

You might also check the hot lead. I would recommend disconnecting the battery first to avoid any potential damage to your tester.

Easy enough to check anyway. Dim lights with a good battery would tend to point in this direction.

my .02.

Jim.
Old 04-15-04, 09:49 AM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

not cranking, would it be the starter / igniter problem ?
if the dash light come on, the battery is probably fine ( you can use battery tester to double check)
Old 04-15-04, 11:15 AM
TxLexus
Driver

Typical symptom of a bad starter.