Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Want to know your Oil Filter Review?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 10:38 AM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Want to know your Oil Filter Review?

I like to share this info about OIL FILTER
It is a good link, eventhough its not specificaly for our car (LEXUS), I you want to know whats inside your oil filter.
This guy open every single OIL FILTER, now what we need is filling the blank.
-would someone open TRD filter, JDM Toyota filter, and the new replacement filter, and other filter.
Compare and learn.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml
Old 04-15-04, 11:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

Seen that link before. Very simular to others that have posted them. I think the other one is called bobtheoilguy.com or something......all there evaluations seem to be very close to each other. I use the Mobil 1 myself & plan on sticking with it.
Old 04-16-04, 09:03 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What useful information does a car owner really get from cutting open UNUSED filters?
Does it really prove one filter prevents engine wear better than another? NO!

Consider this analogy: Back in the mid-1970's Toyota and Nissan begin building
most of their cars with engines capable of running 500,000 - 650,000 miles without an overhaul.
That's about twice as durable as typical American car engines of that era. Now could any mechanic
back in the 1970's tell by tearing down and inspecting these strange looking UNUSED engines
from Japan that they had twice the durability capability of typical American car engines?
NOPE! Indeed, the mechanics back then had no idea these Japanese engines
were so superior until years later when they opened them up after they had alot of miles
on them and much to their surprize they found no serious wear.

So I think these "oil filter study" websites will never provide the public with much
useful information because they fail to evaluate USED filters. If they did that then important
differences might be found. For example, even though a Fram air filter may filter
as well or nearly as well as a genuine Toyota filter when it's new, after many miles of use
horrible things can happen to the Fram air filter. The soft, cheap quality rubber used in
the filter shell can crack, allowing unfiltered air into the engine http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg
and the paper pleats can collapse. The Toyota air filter, by contrast, used a crush proof and crack proof
polycarbonate filter shell so it will never allow unfiltered air into the engine.
Old 04-17-04, 11:53 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well it does give some insight as to how the "guts" of the oil filter are constructed. That way, if might shed some light as to how the filter might perform over the course of that service life during that oil change period. I think it's a very useful tool when considering what filter one should go with. IT certinly proves that NOT all oil filters are created equal.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 04-17-04 at 11:55 AM.