Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Battery/Starter/Genius Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 02:02 PM
acf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/Starter/Genius Lexus Dealer

Quick story that happened today. I got in my car to leave Home Depot and tried to start my car. Got nothing but click-click-click-click...when trying to turn over. My limited knowledge first impression was that maybe the battery was shot. But the radio, horn, dome light, etc. were all functioning perfectly. So my second thought was that it could be the starter. Here's where my knowledge ends though. As Murphy's law would have it, my cell phone is at home charging so I use the phone at the service desk in Home Depot and call our only Lexus dealership in Charlotte to get their opinion. I get in touch with an intelligent sounding technician that tells me verbatim "I guarantee its the starter", so I'm like ok, how much? He says $1000!

I'm like holy sh##$: I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that thats whats going to need to be done but before I call a tow truck I decide to play with the battery a bit...

I've already removed corrosion from my battery terminals before, but one of them has a little on it so I pour a Dr. Pepper over it to clear some out. Another neat thing I noticed is the little tool kit in the truck has a wrench that fits the bolts on the terminals so I figure I'll check them out. Turns out the "clamp cable" (I don't know the technical term ) that connects the battery to the starter? lifted right off the battery terminal. So I'm praying somehow it was making enough connection for everything else but not enough to turn the car over. I tried to tighten that clamp and those bolts wouldn't budge. Seems they are too corroded/ rusted? Not sure so I decide to actually bend the "clamp' so it makes a little better connection. I get back in my car, turn the key, not expecting anything and IT STARTED!! Man, I go from thinking its gonna cost me $1000 to it costing me the $1 for a Dr. Pepper!

Couple questions now.

1) Is there a battery cleaning solution that can maybe loosen up those bolts or do you think I'll have to replace the clamp/connector?
2) Is there ANY chance I still could have a starter problem?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by acf; 04-17-04 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 04:50 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

While it hihgly seems like your starting problems is related to the battery (terminals being loose), there is a low possibility that your starter's solenoid is out. I had the "click" problem on a previous Nissan Maxima, only to have it start fully every now and then. I replaced the battery with a new one, and while it worked on the first crank, I kept geting the dreaded "click" after every attempted crank (maybe started once out of every 10-40 tries, or I had to wait about 30 min before trying again), so I quickly replaced the solenoid on starter.

Nonetheless, why it's $1K for a starter replacement is due the the fact that it's a bit buried inside the engine--something that doesn't make much sense from a replacement standpoint. Anyways, hope your car is still working fine. . .
Old 04-17-04, 07:24 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These lexus starter are weird. When mine was starting to go out. Sometime it would start and sometimes it just click or not even click.

You should just drive your car normally in the next week or so, if it does it again, then its your starter.

1000 dollar to replace the starter is really hard to swallow, but thats probably one of the lowest price I ve heard for a dealer. My local lexus dealer wants 300 for the starter.

Good luck
Old 04-22-04, 11:51 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

2) Is there ANY chance I still could have a starter problem?
I'll bet the farm that you still have a starter problem. It can be intermttant, but it won't go away permanently. If you have the problem again, just keep trying. I was told that eventually it will start because after a few trys it gets hot, and becomes easier to start, or some jibberish like that.

Bottom line: Your start still needs replacing. My battery was replaced before I had mine done. Had no problems for a couple of weeks, then BANG!! Starting problems were back. Sorry to rain on your parade. If you're in a 300 then you're looking at around $500. If you're in a 400/430, better get a preemptive jar of vasoline........Coulda had new L-tuned springs and shocks for that DAMN starter!!!

Good luck
Old 04-23-04, 12:36 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Na, your starter is just fine. It was a combination of corroded battery terminals and cables plus your weak/loose/bad connection. Clean up your battery terminals real good and your your cables or replace them and then make sure all the connections are snug as can be and you'll be fine.

Leave your starter alone IMO.
Old 04-23-04, 08:50 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I'm going to agree with SharpLS-96 on this one. I've seen the exact symptoms on more than a few cars. Go ahead and take your battery to Pep Boys or AutoZone and have it tested. When you get your new one make sure the terminals are not corroded and make sure they are tight on the battery posts.