Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Some one pls help running rough LEXUS DeaLeR is NO help...timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 07:41 PM
y_electron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Some one pls help running rough LEXUS DeaLeR is NO help...timing?

Hey whats up club lex I hope someone can help me. Here's the stroy (we all have one). About a week ago I took my car to lexus because when coming in town from Chicago ( I live in tulsa) aout 100miles out my check egine light came on. No biggie car still ran great but of couse I wanted to get it checked out. So I take it to elx and they tell me its the oxygen sensors. The rear left and right. Well they wanted $570 for the job and plus I didn't have time that day. So I told my self I would do it the following weekend. Anyhow that next week I drove back out of town and like many of us SC400 owners..... I drive hard. So I'm coming back in town to tulsa after leaving chicago and the check engine light goes OUT. but then all hell breaks loose. SLowly my car is loosing power. Normally I'll cruise at 110-120mph when coming thru Missouri but slowly I could couldn't get pass certain speeds. FIrst I couldn't break 100mph I'd give it more gas but it just wouldn't go any faster. Then 80mph. So about that time is was time to get gas. Then I noticed when I pulled up to the pump that the car was "chuggin" rumbled like it had a flowmaster or sumthin...but worse. More like it was missing. Anyhow to make a real long story shoter by the time I got back to tulsa about (60 more miles). I couldn't get pass 30 or 40mph and if a hill came you could kiss that goodbye. So i figured i'd change the o2s as soon as I got back and that did nothing. Shes running SUPER rough. not drivable. I took it to lexus of tulsa doing about 30mph. And they tell me its the plug, spark plug wires, distributor caps, and rotors. And they wanted $800+. Now I know it wasn't the plugs because I just put in Bosch Platinum 4s the day before. So I got it home today and change the cap, rotors, and wires. And still NOTHING! Runs like crap even though it was time for those items. If I floor it she will not take herself pass about 4600rpms and it takes for ever to get ther she sounds like a lawn mower. DOes anyone know what this is. I keep pouring in money and I'm getting no results. Someone pls help I'm lost and running out of time before I'll really need her again. Thanks in advance guys. I already know I shouldn't of drove her back out of town again on bad o2s what coudl I of broke?????
Old 04-19-04, 12:47 PM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

my sc300 did the same, after i wash the engine.

I notice you did change the distributor, and plug.
try to get the engine running then unplug the wire one at a time, if the engine bog down then that cylinder is getting spark, and reinstall the wire back to the distibuttor.
if you unplug the plug wire from dist and the engine show no change (not bogging down), then that cylinder is not getting spark. next step is to inspect that wire or that Bosch plug on that cylinder.
Old 04-19-04, 01:39 PM
y_electron
Driver School Candidate

YOu're a freaking genius. I'm on my way......Hope no wire has a crack or else my @$$ is ground.
Old 04-19-04, 02:23 PM
y_electron
Driver School Candidate

Default LOST???

Okay if I wasn't lost I darn sure am now. I went out and decided to pull the plugs like you said. I started with the distributor cap on the odd bank (driver side) Pull 1.....no change OH YAH I THINK I FOUND IT...NOPE! Pull 3.....no change. To make a long story short I pulled the main coil wire off the distributor cap and she cap running like she was but before you say it I know the coils good she geting spark because it shocked the **** out of me when I pulled the main coil and got me GOOD So now the Car is running only off the cap on the even bank (passenger side) No change in running at all. So I hook the main coil back up on the drivers side and and pull the even bank main coil....She doesn't start at all. So the summary is my car is running only off of the plugs the even bank distributor cap supplies spark to. I think its 2,4 CANCEL ALL THAT. Okay here's the deal I've just sat out there and pulled everything plug by plug and the conclusion is my sc400 is running on 1 cylinder. #8 to be exact. I can pull every plug wire on the block and nothing happens but If I pull 8 she won't start....What is this? Have all my injectors gone sour? Or is there some magic word Im not saying to get them to kick back it becuase we all know spark and fuel go BOOM and I know I have spark but she no go boom so I"m guessin there's no fuel here. Someone help me.