Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on oil for my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04 | 07:45 PM
saber
Pole Position

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mburnickas
[B] Someone said it best, it is repackaged oil, bingo. Toyota does not make oil; never has & never will. Not any better then most oils and it is not chemically improved etc.

Thank you mburnickas for having the guts to state your opinion clearly on this issue. Some of the Bobistheoilguy afficionados seem to be backing down from their earlier position that the genuine Toyota motor oil is probably just a repackaged, relabelled existing product like Mobil Drive Clean, Chevron Supreme or the Valvoline dino oil.

I will have the Toyota Oil analyzed to see if it is chemically unique in some characteristics as Toyota implies or if it is just a repackaged, relabelled existing product . My prediction is that the Toyota Oil is test out chemically unique in some characteristics because Toyota has never deceived us in the past about issues like this. Example: Toyota antifreeze tests out (in lab analysis) wildly different and chemically unique compared to any other antifreeze commonly available in retail stores.
Old 06-09-04 | 09:04 PM
Losiho
Driver

Originally posted by saber

Thank you mburnickas for having the guts to state your opinion clearly on this issue. Some of the Bobistheoilguy afficionados seem to be backing down from their earlier position that the genuine Toyota motor oil is probably just a repackaged, relabelled existing product like Mobil Drive Clean, Chevron Supreme or the Valvoline dino oil.

I will have the Toyota Oil analyzed to see if it is chemically unique in some characteristics as Toyota implies or if it is just a repackaged, relabelled existing product . My prediction is that the Toyota Oil is test out chemically unique in some characteristics because Toyota has never deceived us in the past about issues like this. Example: Toyota antifreeze tests out (in lab analysis) wildly different and chemically unique compared to any other antifreeze commonly available in retail stores.
FWIW here in Australia Toyota does NOT make any motor oil for Lexus vehicles. Toyota / Lexus dealers have their own "brand" of Toyota Motor Oil, but this oil is manufactured by Caltex, a Chevron Texaco subsidary. (and this is straight from the mouth of a Toyota Australia Tech Consultant)
Old 06-09-04 | 09:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PitBull
OK, I here you, but in 2004 in the Lexus LX470 and GX470 5 speed automatic transmission Toyota changed the spec. for their transmission fluid to a life time fill fluid, they even deleted the dip stick on the transmission. This new spec. is ATF WS (World standard) the owners manual states that the only fluid that can be used is Toyota ATF WS and no other fluid can be added or it will cause damage to the transmission. I've checked this out with one of the best Toyota/Lexus parts guys in the country and he also stated it was new and that there is no equal ATF fluid to the new WS fluid. I understand that Toyota spec'ed this fluid out and someone is making it for Toyota but at this point in time there is no one else making anything that is compatible with this new WS ATF. What's your take on this??

PS- this stuff is real, real, expensive. No one will be doing a transmission flush with this stuff If you tow they recommend a 60K mile service where they change the filter and the fluid in the pan with only the WS fluid.
i wonder, is WS backwards compatible with T-IV?
Old 06-09-04 | 09:49 PM
motorguy22
Driver School Candidate

saber,I am a member on BITOG and I think that if you believe that Toyota oil is special,you hve fallen for their marketing hype.I believe it is repackaged Mobil,Pennzoil etc. with the Toyota name on it.Even if it is made to thier specs by some other company,I dont beleive it is any better than most other oils.In fact I believe that you can buy better oil cheaper than the GTMO.If GTMO is made to Toyota specs by some other comapny,more than likely it meets,not exceeds but meets the API,ILSAC minimum and thats it.As I stated in an earlier post,API certification is expensive and volantary.It would be cheaper for Toyota to buy oil from QS,Pennz ,Valvoline or Coastal etc. and put their name on it.,this way they bypass the testing and expense by buying an oil that already has API certification.Wal-Marts SuperTech oil for example seems to be made by two companies depending on what part of the company you live in.One of the makers is Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Products of Nebraska.This company has a brand called Mag 1,when compared to Wal-Marts Supertech,the Mag 1 and the SuperTech test out the same.Wal-Mart has avoided the cost and testing that would be involved in trying to come up with their own formulation by using Warren Dist./WPP's brand and putting their name on it.This oil does well in testing,it actually does as well as more expensive oils.It would seem that Toyota has asked for bids by the oil companies to meet their so called 'standards' and the lowest bidder gets the contract.I still say that TGMO is nothing special and that you can get better and cheaper oil.In my area,much of the bread is made by the Sara Lee company.This company makes several name brandslike Kerns,Sara Lee,Iron Kids etc. including the local Wal-Mart brand all of which are made at the same factory.Do you honestly think that there is a different recipe for each different name brand? This would be an economic disaster not to mention a logistical nightmare.It would be very expensive for Toyota to come up with a 'unique' oil formula,have it tested and then certified and then have some company make it for them and then have it shipped to the Toyota factories and dealerships.This would especially be a bad decision when some of the dealerships dont even use GTMO.Toyota would not get enough in oil sales to pay for this,it would be a loss for Toyota..
Old 06-09-04 | 10:00 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
i wonder, is WS backwards compatible with T-IV?
I was told by the Toyota Parts guy that it is not compatible with T-IV, he said it would make your transmission fail. That is what I think is weird about it. The 2003 GX470 5 speed has a dip stick and uses T-IV and the 2004 GX470 5 speed does not have a dip stick and uses WS. Since I have a 2004, even though I don't tow I still might want to have my transmission serviced at say 50K miles and I will have to make sure that the parts guy, the service writer and the machanic that are all involved with my SUV understand they need to use the correct fluid. I just wonder how many they will screw-up??
Old 06-10-04 | 12:33 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

saber, keep us posted when you do get the GTMO analyzed. Since it does appear to be an ExxonMobil product, i would also send in a few samples of Mobil Drive Clean and Exxon SuperFlo.
Old 06-10-04 | 01:50 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Will this oil issue ever end????
Old 06-10-04 | 03:09 AM
ekpolk
Driver School Candidate

Lexusfreak:

I understand your frustration with this. I respectfully suggest that the issue needs to be run down until the truth is clearly established, versus "closing" the thread. Muzzling people or forcing an end to a discussion is simply not the way to deal with your distaste for this; not bothering with it if you don't like it is.

Sabre:

Don't try to deceive the audience by suggesting that those who don't agree with you are wavering in their positions. It's you who has failed to provide any evidence that GTMO is anyhing but a "generic" SL/ Energy Conserving dino oil. If it's your unsubstiantiated opinion that it is, that's fine, state it as your opinion, and go look for some evidence to back it up. But don't state your opinion as if it were proven fact and then get snotty with everyone else when they point out that you've overstated your case. Backed down??? I'm still waiting for some proof of your assertions.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by ekpolk; 06-10-04 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-10-04 | 07:40 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
Will this oil issue ever end????
What, your not interested in learning something???? If so now that you know you don't like the discussion in this thread I suggest you not open it anymore.
Old 06-10-04 | 08:45 AM
motorguy22
Driver School Candidate

Quote:ekpolk:

Saber:

Don't try to deceive the audience by suggesting that those who don't agree with you are wavering in their positions. It's you who has failed to provide any evidence that GTMO is anything but a "generic" SL/ Energy Conserving dino oil. If it's your unsubstantiated opinion that it is, that's fine, state it as your opinion, and go look for some evidence to back it up. But don't state your opinion as if it were proven fact and then get snotty with everyone else when they point out that you've overstated your case. Backed down??? I'm still waiting for some proof of your assertions.

I must agree.Saber is the one that has been asserting that GTMO is some kind of wonder oil that in his opinion,it is evidently better than anything else out there.I too want to see some test results of this 'super oil',closing the thread sounds like the truth is about to come out and maybe some dot want it to.As stated by ekpolk,opinions are fine but don't state them as truth and fact when they are not.The worst part is that saber still will argue that it is a 'wonder oil' without any proof whatsoever to back it up with.He can theorize,hypothesize and guess about the oil all he wants but until it is analyzed he doesn't know what kind of oil it is.Now that people are suggesting that GTMO is most likely a rebadged name brand he gets upset and puts people down.We that have suggested that it is probably a rebadged oil are oil salesmen and specialty oil pushers according to him,this shows that saber has no proof of his 'super oils' makeup.The closest I have ever come to selling oil is when I worked at Wal-Mart over 15 years ago and that was part time.Lets see some results on this GTMO and then we will KNOW waht kind of oil it is.
Old 06-10-04 | 04:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ekpolk
Lexusfreak:

I understand your frustration with this. I respectfully suggest that the issue needs to be run down until the truth is clearly established, versus "closing" the thread. Muzzling people or forcing an end to a discussion is simply not the way to deal with your distaste for this; not bothering with it if you don't like it is.

Edited for typo.
As long as everybody in the same page with good clean discussion and without name calling, I'm fine with it. I'm checking on this thread everyday and so far so good.
Thank you guys.
Old 06-10-04 | 05:13 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
saber, keep us posted when you do get the GTMO analyzed. Since it does appear to be an ExxonMobil product, i would also send in a few samples of Mobil Drive Clean and Exxon SuperFlo.
Thanks for suggesting the Exxon SuperFlo since I forgot about the Exxon-Mobil partnetship. So it looks like 5 oils must be tested: The Toyota 5W-30, Mobil Drive Clean 5W-30, Exxon SuperFlo 5W-30, Chevron Supreme 5W-30 and Valvoline 5W-30. Agreed?
Old 06-10-04 | 06:07 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

If you get them tested from virgin oil, I would like to see some users results, if any.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-10-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-11-04 | 01:19 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Pitbull writes:

"Chumley, I think your problem is that you have limited your ability to learn, based on your attitude. By the way I understand that you and Sabre were banded a long time ago from www.bobistheoilguy.com site. I agree there are a few members on bobistheoilguy site that sell oil (that does not make them bad people or diminish their knowledge, plus if they are a sponsor it is identified upfront), but there are over 4000 other members that are there to learn and contribute more about all of the fluids and filters that keep our vehicles running. I think that if you and Sabre would keep open minds and use logic and reasoning you could also learn more about these things. But one thing you should not do is call others dumb for trying. JMHO"

Thank you, Doctor, that's a very interesting analysis. I did notice that BITOG promptly pulled your initial thread that generated this. After taking 2 years of college level chemistry, a year of physics and 2 years of other college level lab science, 3 years of advanced math, oh, did I mention that I graduated with highest honors, and currently have an engineering degree with over 20 years of engineering experience. That might say something about your "diagnosis" concerning "my limited ability to learn(about oil)." Actually you are correct. I choose very carefully WHERE and WHO I learn from. Sorry, but so far, you've yet to make the grade. None of this has impaired my sense of humor though. Keep up the good work! I've still got that heavy pipe. I don't want to, but I'm not afraid to use it. Pitbull, please don't make me!

Chumley
Old 06-11-04 | 02:00 PM
motorguy22
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Chumley
Pitbull writes

Thank you, Doctor, that's a very interesting analysis. I did notice that BITOG promptly pulled your initial thread that generated this. After taking 2 years of college level chemistry, a year of physics and 2 years of other college level lab science, 3 years of advanced math, oh, did I mention that I graduated with highest honors, and currently have an engineering degree with over 20 years of engineering experience. That might say something about your "diagnosis" concerning "my limited ability to learn(about oil)." Actually you are correct. I choose very carefully WHERE and WHO I learn from. Sorry, but so far, you've yet to make the grade. None of this has impaired my sense of humor though. Keep up the good work! I've still got that heavy pipe. I don't want to, but I'm not afraid to use it. Pitbull, please don't make me!
Chumley
Chumley,it seems that you are touting your 'vast' knowledge and 'education' here.While an education is good,you seem to have come to a point that you know and see all When a person,regardless of their education gets so wrapped up in themselves as to think that they have learned all that can be learned,or that they are above all others,they are at the point where they need the most teaching.An education is worthless if the individual doesn't know how to use and or apply it.There is more to knowledge of a subject than what you are making it out to be.To be a knowledgeable person you have to take in all of the variables that are associated with the said subject.After doing this,you need to work from the inside out of said subject to get the final outer picture (understanding) of the subject.A person can theorize the workings or make up of any product their is but until they can 'see' it from inside out they cant truly understand the 'how' and 'what' of the subject in question.For a person to think that they are so educated or knowledgeable that the thoughts of a 'less' educated person is of no effect needs to return to school and be taught how to use what education they have and how to apply that education to be an individual that is capable of obtaining knowledgeable of a subject.A chimp can be taught many things but they don't have the knowledge to really understand the 'why and what' of what they were taught.When an individual thinks that they can not learn something from a person with a 'lesser' education,according to you,they are not taking in all of the variables and may not be able to have full knowledge of a subject.I have known and do know people that never went to college and they are some of the wisest and most knowledgeable people that a person could ever meet and or talk to.An education is good if it is used correctly and not used to put another person down because you think 'YOU' are superior to them,when it is used to put others down,you have to wonder if the person can really apply their education to obtain true knowledge.

Last edited by motorguy22; 06-11-04 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice on oil for my new SC430