Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 06:49 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default voltage regulator

does anyone know where this is on a '95 SC400 and how much it typically costs to replace it?

I'm still having electrical problems and i've replaced the alternator twice...
Old 05-29-04, 02:57 PM
csaxon
Driver

The voltage regulator is on the rear of the alternator inside the case. A cable is connected to it and it has ribbed fins to dissipate heat. If you replaced the alternator 2x with new or rebuilt then the voltage regulator was replaced 2x also.
Old 05-30-04, 03:35 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: voltage regulator

Originally posted by hellasboy

I'm still having electrical problems and i've replaced the alternator twice...
what kinda problems are you having?

CEO
Old 06-14-04, 08:02 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

was this problem ever solved?

CEO
Old 06-17-04, 07:17 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

sorry, i haven't had time to get it checked out.

but sometimes my lights will dim when i tap on the brakes or hit the turn signals or lower/raise the window. i've switched out my power steering pump for a brand new one and have replaced my alternator twice. i just looked at the alternator and don't see any fluid (wet or dry).

it does it intermittently (sp?). sometimes i'll be good for a few months before it happens again and then it will be a streak of weeks before it goes back to normal or if i get lucky, just a few times.
Old 06-19-04, 09:53 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

do any lights come on the dash when this happens?

CEO
Old 06-19-04, 02:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be your alternator, battery, battery terminal or ground from the battery to body. Sometimes if you sit in the traffic jammed for a long time you will see the light start to dim when you step on the brake. Because the alternator can not supplied all the power the car needed at idle(sitting in traffic with a/c on, radio, headlight, foot on brake, etc..).
Old 06-19-04, 06:55 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by csaxon
The voltage regulator is on the rear of the alternator inside the case. A cable is connected to it and it has ribbed fins to dissipate heat. If you replaced the alternator 2x with new or rebuilt then the voltage regulator was replaced 2x also.
sometimes, voltage regulators are not replaced in reman units.
Old 06-20-04, 07:53 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by VVT-i
It could be your alternator, battery, battery terminal or ground from the battery to body. Sometimes if you sit in the traffic jammed for a long time you will see the light start to dim when you step on the brake. Because the alternator can not supplied all the power the car needed at idle(sitting in traffic with a/c on, radio, headlight, foot on brake, etc..).

thats interesting...can the opposite happen where the you see the lights get brighter and the blower on the A/C cranks...kinda like a power surge?

CEO
Old 06-22-04, 07:10 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by THE_CEO
thats interesting...can the opposite happen where the you see the lights get brighter and the blower on the A/C cranks...kinda like a power surge?

CEO
I've never seen that, but it can happen. I know what you are talking about. I got this situation every morning when I fitst stated up my car, the lights and the AC get a little cranks, but it may due to the cold start and high idle.
Old 06-22-04, 08:00 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by VVT-i
I've never seen that, but it can happen. I know what you are talking about. I got this situation every morning when I fitst stated up my car, the lights and the AC get a little cranks, but it may due to the cold start and high idle.

mine just comes on randomly.....the lights get brighter and the blower is stronger...im also due for a timing belt and the 120k service...so that might have something to do with it.?

CEO
Old 06-23-04, 03:59 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by THE_CEO
mine just comes on randomly.....the lights get brighter and the blower is stronger...im also due for a timing belt and the 120k service...so that might have something to do with it.?

CEO
I don't think the 120K and timing belt gonna help. Get your electrical system check or wait until it gets worse or happen all the time, then take it to the shop.
Old 06-24-04, 08:55 PM
tech237
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your power steering pump is leaking onto your alternator and taking it out. replace the power steering pump or at least reseal it and your alt. problems will go away..
Old 07-01-04, 07:26 PM
dinobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha!!! I think I'm having this problem as well. I've had the brake lights / radio thing start up several months back, a new big battery helped & nothing for some time until about a month ago. It coincided w/ my steering getting slightly stiffer on occasion. I notice it in parking lots & what not under low speed tight cornering.

I'm going to set up an inspection on this tomorrow as it just about died on me on my way home today. The ABS / TRAC & one other light came on once & then the battery light several times during braking.

Any idea on the average replacement cost for this type of stuff? I've found labor on the alternator at about a hundred bucks, but I have to find some parts too. I'm not looking for anything new as I'm probably going to be selling my baby later this year in lieu of an Elise.

Thanks all!

~Jason
Old 07-02-04, 10:32 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by dinobert
Aha!!! I think I'm having this problem as well. I've had the brake lights / radio thing start up several months back, a new big battery helped & nothing for some time until about a month ago. It coincided w/ my steering getting slightly stiffer on occasion. I notice it in parking lots & what not under low speed tight cornering.

I'm going to set up an inspection on this tomorrow as it just about died on me on my way home today. The ABS / TRAC & one other light came on once & then the battery light several times during braking.

Any idea on the average replacement cost for this type of stuff? I've found labor on the alternator at about a hundred bucks, but I have to find some parts too. I'm not looking for anything new as I'm probably going to be selling my baby later this year in lieu of an Elise.

Thanks all!

~Jason
no dont sell it for the Lotus!....if you do atleast get an Esprit TT....

CEO

Quick Reply: voltage regulator