Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

The worst 2 hours of my life...Changing my Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 12:22 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VVT-i
[B]We never had any problem with the fuel filter on Lexus at all. I've seen some of the 90 LS40 with almost 300K with original fuel filter and the car runs fine.
But is the power & fuel economy still first rate and are emissions still low and are the factory original catalytic converter and fuel pump still working fine? Or have these items deteriorated on account of deteriorated fuel injector performance caused by fine particles that got past the fuel filter and buggered up the injectors? On my 444,000 mile 1992 Toyota engine there has been no significant deterioration along these lines and I changed the EFI fuel filter every 50-60,000 miles as a "better be safe than sorry" preventive maintenance measure.
Old 06-03-04, 04:21 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I would recommend changing it atleast every 150,000 miles, but you should change it sooner to prevent other problems IMO. As for the part number, I just got a Bosch one off ebay. I believe the Toyota one is Denso, but Bosch is good enough for me
Old 06-03-04, 06:25 AM
cuttingedg
Driver School Candidate

make sure you keep using the premium fuel.Lexus engines don't like the 87 octane.they will ping and knock under accelleration.
Old 06-03-04, 06:02 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by saber
But is the power & fuel economy still first rate and are emissions still low and are the factory original catalytic converter and fuel pump still working fine? Or have these items deteriorated on account of deteriorated fuel injector performance caused by fine particles that got past the fuel filter and buggered up the injectors? On my 444,000 mile 1992 Toyota engine there has been no significant deterioration along these lines and I changed the EFI fuel filter every 50-60,000 miles as a "better be safe than sorry" preventive maintenance measure.
Yes, everything is working fine( on this 300K LS400) and that what the fuel filter do. Its may looks bad in the picture, but we never has any problem with the injector clogged up, burn fuel pump or any fuel line clogged up due to the existing of dirt in the fuel system(after fuel filter).
No emission problem related to the fuel filter at all.
After 1998 GS, LS, 99 RX, 01 ES and may be some another model, Lexus went with the in tank fuel filter. Which mean if you want to change the fuel filter you will have to drop the gas tank because the fuel filter is inside the gas tank. Just my 2 cents, if you want to strip the fuel line, burn your arm from gasoline and the smell of gasoline for the next 3 days.
Tool recommended: 14 mm & 17mm line wrenches, rust penetration, a lot of towels and FIRE EXTINGUISHER.

Last edited by VVT-i; 06-03-04 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 11:15 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Angry Damn Fuel Filter

Well As I have done in the past, I research all my future repairs first. Well I found this thread one night doing research on these sc300's that this fuel filter change might be a pain. Why would it be a pain you ask? Well me being a Mechanical Engineer, I thought the fuel filter is supposed to be trivial right? Two flared fittings and thats it. right? WRONG!!!! For some dumb reason the first two threads are easy and the last three are like hitting a brick wall, no turny turny... Well time for a line wrench and a lot of elbow grease. I hope this is not a sign of things to come......

P.S. Damn Toyota/Lexus Car Engineers must have communicated with German Filter Engineers who communicated with American Tool Engineers and they screwed up the thread design. Go figure :

Later

Last edited by SC300-95-TMM; 09-11-04 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 11:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I see everyone saying that when they cracked the lines off, they got fuel everywhere... why didnt you guys take a line clamp, and clamp the fuel line coming out of the tank.. it can be seen just above the differential. Clamp the black rubber line coming out of the tank, there are a couple lines, so its kinda trial and error.. clamp it, if it still leaks, clamp the other one.. And yes, Lexus claims these filters are lifetime, hence no recommended replacement interval... my dealership changes them at 30k (on vehicles with an external filter only).
Old 09-12-04, 09:10 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I've changed mine, it took me about an 1/2 an hour, the fittings came off with no problems. I sprayed the lines with WD-40 the night before.
Old 09-12-04, 09:17 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VVT-i

Tool recommended: 14 mm & 17mm line wrenches, rust penetration, a lot of towels and FIRE EXTINGUISHER.
I also recommend a flare fitting wrench as well.
Old 09-12-04, 09:53 AM
saber
Pole Position

]I've changed mine, it took me about an 1/2 an hour, the fittings came off with no problems. I sprayed the lines with WD-40 the night before.
I agree that having the foresight and patience to soak potentially fragile nuts / bolts / fittings a day or more ahead of time and using high quality, chrome plated, six point wrenches and sockets and flare wrenches when appropriate is the answer to avoiding alot of auto repair troubles and fustrations.
Old 09-12-04, 02:10 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Well I finally got the new filter on. Me, my Rigid 14" Pipe wrench, and a lot of rags to wipe sweat and gas of my face and elbows. I ditched the flare wrench when it rounded the flats on both nuts. I will never do this again, plus I think that wrenching the fittings back on, now it is a done deal. In my engineering opinion, the threads are stretched from the assembly at the Lexus plant. Could use a metric die to realign the threads. However I was frustrated and just wrenched it back together.

Later. TIme for a nap
Old 09-13-04, 09:26 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default to Aerostar

Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess DIY isn't always the best way.

I hate to get my hands dirty, so I rather let the dealer service take care of most of the stuff. I'll just work hard to earn money to pay these guys.
Old 09-18-04, 01:03 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a 96 sc3 there is only one fuel filter correct and its located right in front of the passanger side of the engine bay correct?... yea.,., like someone said in this thread... woulndn't clamping down on the lines be a good idea???
bryan
Old 09-18-04, 01:56 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

There is only one, and it is located in front of the rear driver wheel under the car. And have fun trying to clamp down the HARD lines around the filter
Old 09-18-04, 03:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
There is only one, and it is located in front of the rear driver wheel under the car. And have fun trying to clamp down the HARD lines around the filter
I thought it was M12 threads on the filter
Old 09-18-04, 03:39 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
I thought it was M12 threads on the filter
M12 threads? Educate me please

Quick Reply: The worst 2 hours of my life...Changing my Fuel Filter