Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

60,000 mile service - $1,025!!!!! ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 09:21 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60,000 mile service - $1,025!!!!! ????

I am currently @ 58K miles and went to the Lexus dealer to get a quote on the 60k mile service. They quoted over a thousand dollars. What the h*ll do they do that cost THAT much money?

On top of that, I ordered a rear seat belt guide that was only $16.00 but when the guy came out to look at the car, he tried to give me crap about changing out the lights. Why does Lexus care?

I told him that the fog lights get foggy when I wash the car and he told me ONE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY cost !1300.00 and that there is no way to disassemble and reseal it.

I think they're taking advantage and would like to find a list of what's included in the service and a good shop in the Bay Area, if possible, that I can go to for half the price.

Thanks CL!
Old 06-03-04, 10:18 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try Exact Motorsports?
Old 06-03-04, 04:28 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I just found out about them right now. I think it will be worth a trip to Milpitas. Have you been there before? How was the service?
Old 06-03-04, 04:34 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Whats included in the 60k service?
Old 06-03-04, 04:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
I just found out about them right now. I think it will be worth a trip to Milpitas. Have you been there before? How was the service?
John at Exact is great. Just a note. If you want to save a little more $, get the list of supplies he need. He uses Toyota/Lexus parts but he just orders them from the dealer. He just charges what he pays and does not mark it up. But the T/L markup is already built in. If you want to go through the trouble, you can get the materials from Steve in Carson for a fraction of what the dealer charges. Then just have John perform the service.
Old 06-03-04, 07:34 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

ClubLexus is the Best!!!

Thanks Guys!

Aerostar: I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow to get a list of everything included int he 60K service and I'll post it here .
Old 06-03-04, 08:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Darius2004
nope, but i plan to for my timing blet replacement!
Old 06-04-04, 07:59 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 92 SC400 with 107,xxx miles and you are right - the 60,000 service is expensive, but when you look at what all they do, it is not as bad. I also have a 97 Supra and the 60,000 mile service for it was "only" about $600. My experience with my dealer is that they do very good work and know what they are doing. But, they tend to err on the conservative side. For example, they have recommended changing the brake pads when they still had some wear left. I think that they don't want for you to have a problem and they can't guarantee when you will be in next. Maybe the brake pads will get into the rotors before the next visit and you will be unhappy with that, too. Most newer Lexus owners can afford to handle their service this way.

Last time I was at the dealer, I had noticed some seapage (sp?) around the heater control valve. I asked the mechanic and he said that the valve was about $400, but that you would normally have more warning to know to replace it. The easy thing was to scare me and tell me that I had to replace it. This is one of the advantages of wandering back into the service area while they are working on my car and watching - not meddling - but they know I am interested. I have taken the car there since it was new, and they know me.
Old 06-05-04, 07:33 PM
hudoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked my dealer maintenence list against the factory manual and I find the dealer is changing thinngs way too early. First of all the agressive schedule id for trailer towing etc. I drive easily and enough so the vehicle warms up thoroughly.

This is disappointing and just another way to add extra profit.
Old 06-06-04, 09:10 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

90% of the things they do at these "major services" is "check" not replace things. What I did with my SC400 and LS400 is findout what the dealer "checked" in the regular oil/filter service (they have a list that they will give you) now ask the service writer what it costs to do the specific items that need to be changed. You will find that the cost will go from $1000+ to around $300-400. Though big $$$ service interval prices are for people that don't pay attention. Plus this way you have the Lexus dealer doing the work and you have the documentation that you need for any warranty claims. It worked for me when I lived in Atlanta and delt with Hennesy Lexus, I found the service writers were great to work with and would laugh and tell me I broke the code Plus instead of doing each item at one time I had them do a couple at a time and they gave me a loaner car full of gas to use while they did the service. I alway planned them on days I had a lot of driving to do so I put the mileage on their loaner and burned their gas. Check it out.
Old 06-06-04, 09:50 AM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by hudoff
I just checked my dealer maintenence list against the factory manual and I find the dealer is changing thinngs way too early. First of all the agressive schedule id for trailer towing etc. I drive easily and enough so the vehicle warms up thoroughly.This is disappointing and just another way to add extra profit.
The factory schedule it not optimal for long, reliable vehicle and component life. It's just the very minimum amount of maintenance required to maintain the 6 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. In a nutshell, if a Lexus maintained on the agressive schedule it will be reilable and not need major repairs for 300,000 - 600,000 miles. A Lexus maintained on the stretched out schedule will need to be junked after 150,000 -250,000 miles because so many componets will be worn and unreliable. So if you plan to sell / trade every 10 years or 150,000 miles then yes, the stretched out schedule is fine.
Old 06-06-04, 06:58 PM
hudoff
Driver School Candidate

Well maybe I can clarify a few service items and then open it to discussion.

I don't mind being conservative but I hate to see and pay for the change of good fluids.
It's not cost effective and not good for the environment either.

For example:
Dealer- replace transmission fluid and diff fluid...every 15,000 miles (12 months) !!!
Dealer Replace cap and rotor...( I didn't think most cars had them any more) 60,000 miles
Dealer- Replace spark plugs 60,000 miles.. Toyota manual says..120,000 miles

Other than a lot of "inspection" every 5,000 miles the dealer gets $130 to essentially change
the oil and filter, rotate the tires and stamp the manual.
Old 06-06-04, 08:46 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

My 2004 with the 4.7 V8 owners manual maintance guide states that the plugs are changed at 60K miles. Mines a 4runner but should be the same as the GX470 or any other Toyota 4.7 V8. Here is a link that shows the service intervals for Toyota's. I guess I don't understand why Lexus would should something different for the same engine?? www.toyotapartsandservice.com/smg/main.php
Old 06-06-04, 08:52 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PitBull
My 2004 with the 4.7 V8 owners manual maintance guide states that the plugs are changed at 60K miles. Mines a 4runner but should be the same as the GX470 or any other Toyota 4.7 V8. Here is a link that shows the service intervals for Toyota's. I guess I don't understand why Lexus would should something different for the same engine?? www.toyotapartsandservice.com/smg/main.php
IIRC, all newer Lexus V8s come from the factory with iridium spark plugs.
Old 06-07-04, 04:44 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Darius2004
The Factory schedule is there for reference or just a guide. It does not say you MUST do anything and this is only a recommended schedule. Plus, half the items on there are there to make the dealer money. Like any right-minded person will pay some $100 to have them check this and that. It is hard to say fine check the tires, wipers, air in tires, etc for that price. The dealer wants and loves when you bring your car in. It pays their lease on the building.

It is like when they use the computer to find a problem. They charge like $90 just for hook-up. On top of the 200% markup on the item being replaced. Never mind the $85 per hour they charge for the $12 per hour repair guy. All this for a cold sode and a tv. when waiting. ...unreal

From what I have experienced this is Lexus to the “tee”. They think that you have a bottomless pit of money and just smile and say, “here is the bill”. Most items are a total rip-off and again there service is not any better then others.

If this car really needs to brought in that much, worse then a commercial plane here, then something is wrong. That is why they [Lexus] are #1 for reliably etc. You are replacing the items at some time and not even going or care by wear. If I brought a Ford or GM it would also be #1 due to these short intervals. For the time and money at service, if you followed the schedule, it damn well should be. You are paying alot for that statement.

Ps. Welcome to Lexus and I hope you have a huge limit on your CC or do it yourself. For the money you save, you could by a new Lexus!

Quick Reply: 60,000 mile service - $1,025!!!!! ????