Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance for RX330

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 10:28 AM
mattjung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance for RX330

Hello,

I just bought new RX330 and I was wondering what is the cheapest and best way to maintence your service appointments.
1) The owners manual says that if you don't tow anything and don't drive on unpaved roads to keep to the 7500 miles service intervals. But it seems everyone is sticking to the 5000 miles service intervals. Could anyone give me some suggestions on which schedule I should follow.
2) I have heard that some lexus owners take their cars to the toyota dealershiop because they use the same parts. I was wondering if Oil really does matter in prolonging the life of the car. So does original Toyota Oil really matter? If so where could I get it?
3) I live in Philadelphia. Could anyone tell me where the best dealership(Lexus or Toyota or Independent mechanic) is and

Thank You,
Old 06-24-04, 11:41 PM
saber
Pole Position

Mechanically the 2004 RX330 is practically identical to a Camry and Avalon V6 so it shares filters, spark plugs and many other parts with 2004 Camry's/Avalons so you can buy nearly all these kinds of maintenance items at Toyota dealers rather than Lexus dealers. Toyota dealers also carry the Toyota Motor Oil http://www.saber.net/~monarch/ls430b.jpg

Lexus has issued an "Scheduled Maintenance Guide Supplement" which does away with the 7500 mile service interval and recommends a 5000 mile / 6 month service imterval for all Lexus models.

Choice of brand of oil, parts, service interval etc. comes down to a matter of risk. Lots of young owners find it boring to live life in the slow lane and enjoy the thrill, excitement and adventure of experimenting with aftermarket everything and basically disregarding most of the maintenance advice given in the owners manual. Aftermarket companies know this, of course and tailor their marketing efforts to lure young folks with cool sounding stuff like "flowmaster muffler" "royal purple motor oil" and such. The aftermarket companies also know how to subliminally deliver messages to young people that tend to make them believe the factory original parts, filters, fluids and lubes are designed to meet minimum, rather than high standards of design, materials and workmanship.

Older, more mature owners who are past the thrill seeking, fun and adventure stage generally seek to minimize risks and the way to do that is maintain your Lexus in factory original condition using factory original (i.e. genuine Toyota) parts, filters, fluids and lubes and replace them at least as often as the recommended in the scheduled maintenance guide.
Old 06-25-04, 12:53 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Welcome Matt! Although I agree with most of what saber has suggested, the only thing I disagree with is the choice of oil. After the proper interval, switch to synthetic! I (as well as many other CL & LOC members) suggest a good quality synthetic oil such as Mobil 1. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new RX! it's a georgous SUV! you can check out the threads here as well as the LOC (Lexus Owners Club).

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 06-25-04 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-25-04, 05:13 AM
mattjung
Driver School Candidate

Default Scheduled Maintenance

Thanks for the reply Saber. I did not know that engine was identical to the Camry.

I wanted to know how what to say when I schedule appointments with a toyota dealership. I wanted ot know if that would void my warranty also. When I look at the factory recommended maintenance schedule it says to have alot of things checked. Is it really necessary to get all the brakes and twenty other things inspected. Or could I just tell them to give me and oil change and a tire rotation.

Also some almost all dealerships do not use toyota motor oil. Should i use the dealership valvoline oil opposed to the oil from toyota. I know that using the original toyota oil filters are a good thing but the oil is something else.

Don't worry about me using aftermarket products on my RX330 because this thing is beautiful. I don't want to cheapen it by using aftermarket products.

Also does anyone know if I can rotate my tires by myself or do I need to take it to a shop for that.

Thank You,