Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Question; Engine shut down wile in near motion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04 | 12:44 PM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Question Question; Engine shut down wile in near motion.

Let me clarify, the idle is just fine, even a Lexus mechanic had reviewed the performance….. only after about 40 minutes when I come to a stop or about 5 mph the idle drops below it’s normal, and the engine shuts down.

It seems, after engine re-start, immediately, the clock for 40 min got reset.

------

Question; Engine shut down wile in near motion.

I have a LS400 95 model with 49K miles.
This car was just recently purchased in excellent condition … However I observed something very strange. I am driving for about 40 minutes at a avg. speed of 60 without a stop…. If I am coming to a slowdown or stop the idle goes down to about 200 to 100 RPM and the engine shuts down….. I can repeat this everytime. If with in the 40 minutes of driven the car gets turned off by me the clock starts over. I can even slow down as long as I don’t turn off the car, the car will shut down regardless.

Any thoughts on that ? Please let me know and send me an e-mail Frank.Worthoff@ae.ge.com

Thanks
Old 07-28-04 | 03:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

This is one of the weird problem and could be a hard one to figure it out. The 92-95 ES300 has similar problem after the long drive on the hwy and get off at the exist. As soon as the car slow down and almost come to the complete the stop, the car stall and shut itself down. The problem turned out to be the valve body in the transmission. I don't know this problem will applied to the 95LS and this is the first I've heard of this problem on the LS period.

It could be some thing that relate to heat, long drive on the highway at certain speed. It could be an ECM, ignitor or anything.

Is this problem happen when you driving around town(stop and go) for 40 minutes? Or only happened when you're on the highway??.
Old 07-28-04 | 03:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The only time I have heard of this happening is when vapor lock occurs or if the injectors are clogged, as both can cause this.
Old 07-29-04 | 04:39 AM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Question

First off, I like to say thanks for the replies!

It seems that this problem is a function of time and not speed or frequent stops. Temperature can not be an issue either, since I can start the car immediately and it’s idle is normal like nothing had ever happened…………

Last night driven for ~ 40 minutes I have frequent stops and found at about 30 minutes the idle wile standing at a red light keeps dropping but not enough to turn off the engine ….. than 10 minutes later at about 40 minutes of driving it shuts off…..

I have tried shifting at the 40 minute mark from 3D to 3 than 2 to keep the engine rev up…. And that works the transmission ****s well don’t seen any behavior change… but than when I come to a final stop it shuts off…..

Matter effect, driving down an exit ramp with a traffic jam I had nearly drive someone into me because the engine turned off……
Old 07-29-04 | 10:51 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

faulty canshaft sensor or crankshaft sensors can do this.
I am familiar with this exact problem but with a couple of GM cars.

The best thing to do would have a scan tool hook up, drive around with a technician and see what sends out the wrong signal right before the car shuts down.

steviej
Old 08-03-04 | 11:56 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

without looking at car can't say for sure but sounds like could be idle air ctrl valve. few hundred $$ at dealership.
Old 01-25-05 | 06:51 PM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Default engine shut down etc. an update

Folks .. just wanted to give You all an update .. yes a bit late but never less I was collecting data……. And thanks for the feed back I received

I took the car to the dealer ship and they actually duplicated the problem just as I had observed … the folks at the dealership cleaned the entire engine intakes valves etc. essentially the car was driven by the previous owner not enough and caused the care to clog up….. since that cleaning the problem went away….. of cause I had to replace the steering pump etc… as indicated on several sides…..