Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Premium versus Regular gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04 | 01:16 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Is running octane booster harsh on your vehicle in any way?
Old 08-01-04 | 01:30 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Woogie
Is running octane booster harsh on your vehicle in any way?
It can be, if the product you use contains MMT or methanol. People have been using toulene or xylene as octane boost, they are also used by ConocoPhilips, ChevronTexaco, and Sunoco as components in high-octane av gas and race fuel.
Old 08-01-04 | 08:16 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Premium versus Regular gas

Originally posted by saber
I gather that with all the money saved by using regular gas in place of premium, the Lexus could then afford to buy all kinds of premium car care products like Auto-Rx, Fuel Power, Lube Control, RedLine Water Wetter, an oil filter bypass system, K&N air filter, Schaeffers Neutra 131, plus many years of monthly analysis of the engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid by both Blackstone Labs and Dyson Labs. Right?
Saber, I don't think any of that is needed if you have always followed the owners manual maintanance recommendations, since the vehicle was new. If you have a previously owned vehicle that has a unknown vehicle history, then some of your above recommended products/services might be a great idea.
Old 08-01-04 | 08:18 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by flipside909
That's not true. The knock sensors are there on purpose and are designed to retard/advance timing for the choice of gas. The 3.0 1MZ-FE V6's requirements for Premium are recommended...but NOT required. You're also forgetting that the same year ES from 99-01 implemented VVT-i which in turn the same years Camry V6 1MZ-FE non VVT-i didn't achieve 210hp but instead 192.
The knock sensor is there to detect detonation. The engine expects to get the gas it was tuned for. Occasional use of regular on a car tuned for premium won't break the engine, but overtime it will. Use the gas that the owner's manual specifies.

Not all 1MZ-FE engines are created equal. My 2002 RX300 has the 1MZ-FE engine, but the manual specifies 87 regular and that puts out 220 HPs, maybe more with premium. Toyota tunes the engine differently in each model. Size and shape of intake and exhaust can change HP output as well, but that's beyond the topic.
Old 08-01-04 | 09:07 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
The knock sensor is there to detect detonation. The engine expects to get the gas it was tuned for. Occasional use of regular on a car tuned for premium won't break the engine, but overtime it will. Use the gas that the owner's manual specifies.

Not all 1MZ-FE engines are created equal. My 2002 RX300 has the 1MZ-FE engine, but the manual specifies 87 regular and that puts out 220 HPs, maybe more with premium. Toyota tunes the engine differently in each model. Size and shape of intake and exhaust can change HP output as well, but that's beyond the topic.
Good point. Example the 2000 LX470 is set-up to use Premium gas and that is what the owners manual states and that is what you should use. In the 2001- 2004 the LX470 can use Regular 87 octane gas per the owners manual it also states that you can use Premium fuel for improved performance this is per the owners manual. You will not harm your 2001 - 2004 LX470 using 87 Octane and I doubt you would notice a performance difference unless you were towing. I own a 350Z and Nissan recommends only Premium fuel, I would not use Regular fuel in the Z. Alway follow what the manufacture states.
Old 08-01-04 | 11:49 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Premium versus Regular gas

Originally posted by PitBull
Saber, I don't think any of that is needed if you have always followed the owners manual maintanance recommendations, since the vehicle was new. If you have a previously owned vehicle that has a unknown vehicle history, then some of your above recommended products/services might be a great idea.
The idea behind ARX and LC/FP is a novel idea, provide gentle action in comparison to the harshness of products sold at Crapgen and AutoZone, and oil analysis and bypass filters aren't BS either, many transit agencies use bypass filtration and oil analysis on their bus fleets.
Old 08-01-04 | 02:28 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Premium versus Regular gas

Originally posted by nthach
The idea behind ARX and LC/FP is a novel idea, provide gentle action in comparison to the harshness of products sold at Crapgen and AutoZone, and oil analysis and bypass filters aren't BS either, many transit agencies use bypass filtration and oil analysis on their bus fleets.
I agree the idea of bypass filtration and oil analysis is great. I just don't think anyone that buys a "NEW" Lexus with the great warranty and the quality of the Lexus brand needs to concern themselves with either one of these as long as they follow the manufactures recommended maintanance. JMHO
Old 08-01-04 | 03:22 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Pitbull writes:

"Hey Chumpley, it has already been proven in previous posts that you don't have a clue. You even got kicked off BITOG site because of your personal attacks on other members. When the BITOG members found out you were hiding over here, giving out bad information they came to this site and exposed you. Now go bother someone else."

That's very funny. Who started this hot topic anyway? Me? All I'm simply saying is that the engineers who designed and built your Lexus, made millions of design decisions. One of them was the proper grade of fuel. (the oil too) They did that through thousands of hours of testing, then they published their data in your owners manual and posted it by placard in several places in your car. I'm sorry that BITOG lube bay jockys have no concept of the engineering process and tend to ignore it thinking they know more. I can't imagine why Toyota/Lexus doesn't recruit their future engineering staff at Jiffy Lube?

Chumley (Chumpley according to you)

Pitbull please don't reply. Since you are a young, retired military man, you can get a free (or very low cost) education in the proper environment if you'll simply apply yourself and put forth some effort.
Old 08-01-04 | 04:55 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Saber writes:

"I gather that with all the money saved by using regular gas in place of premium, the Lexus could then afford to buy all kinds of premium car care products like Auto-Rx, Fuel Power, Lube Control, RedLine Water Wetter, an oil filter bypass system, K&N air filter, Schaeffers Neutra 131, plus many years of monthly analysis of the engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid by both Blackstone Labs and Dyson Labs. Right?"

Hey Saber, you're really out of it. Clearly you haven't heard of the Tornado Air Managment Sytstem, the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Magnetic Inline Fuel Ionizers, Water Injection, Split Fire Spark Plugs, Magnecor Spark Plug Wires, Tribotec Oil Additives., etc., etc.

These are all the "latest technology" engineering innovations that we ignorant engineers won't endorse, or specify on the millions of products we design, and provide warranty service on.

But for all the internet educated experts, they are readily available!

Chumpley (oh sorry, Chumley)
Old 08-01-04 | 05:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Chumley, please use the PM option when you have personal arguement to said with another member.

You got PM.

Thank you.

Last edited by VVT-i; 08-01-04 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-01-04 | 06:36 PM
saber
Pole Position

[i]Originally posted by Chumley : "Clearly you haven't heard of the Tornado Air Managment Sytstem, the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Magnetic Inline Fuel Ionizers, Water Injection, Split Fire Spark Plugs, Magnecor Spark Plug Wires, Tribotec Oil Additives., etc., etc. "
Wow ! Thanks Chumley. You are right I havn't heard of most of those products. They sound like they might take my Lexus V8 up to 30 miles per gallon and reduce engine wear well enough to keep my engine alive for 1,000,000 miles! Truly cutting edge technology products.

I assume these products are only available via Mail Order just like the premium juicer machines, premium exercise machines and premium NASA developed mattresses I see advertized on TV at 2:00 am in the morning after the Jay Leno show. And probably from a Florida address. Can you provide some company contact information? I hope operators are standing by to take my order.
Old 08-01-04 | 07:34 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

I suggest you boot me off this forum too.

Clearly in this day and age, knowing nothing is a highly prized comodity.

Knowing something, . . . .well, . . . . do what you want.

Chumley (Chumpley for those in the know)
Old 08-01-04 | 11:05 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Chumley

Hey Saber, you're really out of it. Clearly you haven't heard of the Tornado Air Managment Sytstem, the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Magnetic Inline Fuel Ionizers, Water Injection, Split Fire Spark Plugs, Magnecor Spark Plug Wires, Tribotec Oil Additives., etc., etc.
Don't forget whistle tips, electric superchargers, and Prolong!
Old 08-02-04 | 06:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Chumley
I suggest you boot me off this forum too.
OK, done. Three times you have ignored the requests of the forum moderator (twice publicly in this thread and also via PM) to knock off the personal attacks and stay on topic. You and I have exchanged warnings from prior problem posts as well.
Old 08-02-04 | 02:44 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PitBull
I posted the attached thread because I thought it might enlighten some people and stir some interesting discussion.
Back to what we were saying... I just thought I share some observations for you to base you gas decisions on. I thought it was really odd that Camry & ES3 and Land Cruiser & LX (all very similar cars, same respective platform) have different energy requirements of the same respective engine. I have never heard of the same engines being tuned differently on various models.

Ultimately it's your car and wallet and you make the final decision at the pump.

P.S. I would really like to get a "Lexus" engineer to answer this .

Quick Reply: Premium versus Regular gas