Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

sc300 problem possibly alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 06:00 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 problem possibly alternator?

I drive a 93 sc300 5spd. This just started happening yesterday, I dont know if anyone has experienced this before but my battery light comes on when i start the car. once I gas it a little in neutral the light goes away. when im driving and gas it too little(letting the rpms fall below 700 when) when shifting from a stop to first gear the battery light comes on again for a few seconds then goes away after im steady on the gas. it's as if when my rpms drop below 700 for a second the light comes on and goes away when i gas it. I dont know if this means my alternator may be going or if i could be something else. I changed my battery a month ago so i dont think thats it. I dont want to spend 200+ dollars replacing the alternator if nothings wrong with it so please lend me your inputs on this thanks
Old 08-02-04, 06:06 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you need to have your electrical system checked. Most auto parts stores check the alternator in the car for free. You should try that first before guessing. Tell you what....you replaced the battery a month ago......what's next? Sorry to say it, but there is a possibility that is your problem, especially if your power steering pump is leaking.

Leaking power steering pump: Some of the older coupes have a faulty seal in the power steering pump, which can leak power steering fluid onto the alternator and destroy both parts if the problem is neglected. If you have an older high mileage coupe, be sure to monitor your pump for signs of seep or leakage. Replace the seal for ~$1 or rebuild the PSP for ~$125.
http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#041

Moving to the Maint forum for better exposure