Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 11:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

The other dealers I called were above $1K.
Old 09-26-04, 03:04 PM
pklibak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thanks for the help guys!!!

it was just the dammm battery.
Old 03-02-05, 04:00 PM
mattolsen
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to confirm for anyone who finds this thread. I've had both problems, and yes the rapid-fire clicking is the battery..... you can easily get a jump-start and drive yourself to Pep-Boys with some tools and be up and running again in 1/2 hour for $70..... or make sure you just didn't leave the dome-light on for 2 days! The one click then nothing is the starter. I've had three es300's in my life and one Toyota van and in each and every d*mn one of them I've had to replace the starter. In one of the ES's I had to replace it twice! With the starter problem, you can just continue turning the key off then on and eventually it will go. Sometimes I've had to turn it 10 - 15 times and then on number 16, VROOOOM starts right up like everything was fine. ....not that you want to live like this, I'm just saying if you're stuck somewhere, keep trying, eventually it will go. And if you happen to have a date in the car with you plan on setting a new record for # of tries before it starts. .......sigh, good times, good times. There's also a write-up on a DIY fix for this problem, where you fix just the solenoid contacts. I might do that....... as I AGAIN have this problem on a 1992 ES300. This is of course contigent upon you being able to successfully remove the starter. On a 92 es300 I think it's right there on top, pretty easy to get too. Click! Click! Click! Good luck...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...postid=1063130
Old 12-09-11, 08:30 AM
99gs400guy
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys...If anyone could PLEASE help me out I would owe you BIG TIME!! The Holidays are just around the corner and I recently got fired so I have very little cash to fix my Lexus GS 400. Here's the problem: It won't start. I've read through this forum and tried what you guys tried with the battery and the starter. I even removed the intake to get to the started and hit it to try to start the car. I don't think it's the starter though. I don't think it's the battery. What else could it be? When I crank the engine it wants to starts but it seems like something just isn't letting it. The power windows, radio, power heated seats, sunroof, headlights etc. all work perfectly fine. So it can't be the battery or alternator right? Any suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated!! I'm a little bit mechanically inclined and my friend is as well more than I. Please help us guys
Old 12-09-11, 03:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 99gs400guy
Hey guys...If anyone could PLEASE help me out I would owe you BIG TIME!! The Holidays are just around the corner and I recently got fired so I have very little cash to fix my Lexus GS 400. Here's the problem: It won't start. I've read through this forum and tried what you guys tried with the battery and the starter. I even removed the intake to get to the started and hit it to try to start the car. I don't think it's the starter though. I don't think it's the battery. What else could it be? When I crank the engine it wants to starts but it seems like something just isn't letting it. The power windows, radio, power heated seats, sunroof, headlights etc. all work perfectly fine. So it can't be the battery or alternator right? Any suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated!! I'm a little bit mechanically inclined and my friend is as well more than I. Please help us guys
First off, we need to know if it will crank over, as in the engine spins (confirm by having someone watch the pulleys on the front of the engine as you turn the key), or if the starter doesn't even engage. If the starter doesn't engage at all when you turn the key, it is either the starter, ignition switch, battery or an electrical connection... If it turns over (the starter works), but still will not start, it could be fuel pump, electrical, crank sensor, timing belt, ignition coil, or many others...

Get us some more info and we'll try.... sounds like you may be in over your head a little, but its worth a shot...
Old 12-09-11, 08:08 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Post a video