Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 03:25 PM
pklibak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Won't Start

99 GS 400

When i turn the ignition on, it makes the noise of an airgun trying to take off a nut on a tire. with the RPM flickering. lights dim, but car won't start. Does anyone know what is wrong with my car? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-04, 04:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to jump start it. You may have a weak battery.
Old 08-27-04, 07:55 PM
pklibak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. will try that tonight. if that doesn't work, any other suggestions?
Old 08-27-04, 09:11 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try jumping the starter itself. Maybe that'll help. Grab a screw driver, and just arc your hand into your engine bay and touch the two leads on the starter with the screw driver. Once you get power to the solenoid, it'll put the plunger down, turn the armature and it'll engage the pinion gear to the fly wheel or the flexplate. I think its the battery tho
Old 08-28-04, 07:52 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Woogie
try jumping the starter itself. Maybe that'll help. Grab a screw driver, and just arc your hand into your engine bay and touch the two leads on the starter with the screw driver. Once you get power to the solenoid, it'll put the plunger down, turn the armature and it'll engage the pinion gear to the fly wheel or the flexplate. I think its the battery tho
That is impossible to do on the GS400, because the starter is located underneath the intake. And this method is quite a bit dangerous from electrical arch.
Old 09-04-04, 09:16 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, you're hearing the starter solinoid clicking rapidly because the battery is dead... might be able to charge it and bring it back to life.. or you may just need a new battery.
Old 09-05-04, 10:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm having a remotely similar situation...when I turn the key I'll hear it click but not turn. After another try or so, the starter will turn and the car will start. Any thoughts if this is battery, starter or ?
Old 09-05-04, 11:11 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally posted by RA40
I'm having a remotely similar situation...when I turn the key I'll hear it click but not turn. After another try or so, the starter will turn and the car will start. Any thoughts if this is battery, starter or ?
If it just clicks once.. sounds like you need a new starter.
Old 09-08-04, 04:17 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be either or both. Start with the simplest item (battery in your case) then progress to the more difficult item. Be absolutely sure it's not the battery before taking the next step.
Old 09-08-04, 09:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally posted by hyperopt
Could be either or both. Start with the simplest item (battery in your case) then progress to the more difficult item. Be absolutely sure it's not the battery before taking the next step.
What has me on the edge is that this only occurs on the first turn of the new day. Once it has been started and driven, it starts fine. The car sat for the last few days and all electrical items work and battery on my handheld meter showed 12.5 V (Couldn't read amperage as I fried that section of my meter. )

A buddy checked the battery a few days before and his tester indicated it was putting out 577 CCA and the alternator was charging. Battery is 2 years old so anything is possible.

I hear that starters are not common items for replacement...hence Toyota's decision to bury it. I just don't know how to determine it. Lexus wants a $91 diagnostic fee.
Old 09-10-04, 10:18 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RA40, You can not test a Battery with a volt meter ,that is not the proper way,a load tester is needed.
Old 09-10-04, 10:26 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RA40 ,first replace those stock battery clamps and check out the negative at ground ...............Also there is a recall on the 2gen. LS starters ,they have a problem with the connection and then put in a good battery :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...optima+battery
Old 09-13-04, 04:32 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check for short circuit while the car is at rest (everything off). A short will allow electrical leakage and impairs CCA between charges. This might explain why your car cranks poorly when sitting for an extended period of time. You'll need an ampmeter to quickly gauge the current drain while the car is at rest but then your meter is dead.
Old 09-22-04, 08:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

An update in my situation...it was the starter. The original battery was still good but I went ahead and replaced it with an Autolite Platinum 770 CCA. The new combination sounds much different and it starts faster. One turn and usually you'd hear the starter whine but now the engine is going almost immediately. This little fix was $780. At least I shouldn't have to worry about it for another 80K miles....fingers crossed.

Thanks to Longo Lexus...this was the most pleasant experience I have had at a dealer for service.
Old 09-22-04, 11:56 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Glad you got it fixed! Hehe, i knew it was the starter The price sounds about right, steep, but hey.. look where the starter is.. under the intake.. takes some time to get that replaced

An update in my situation...it was the starter. The original battery was still good but I went ahead and replaced it with an Autolite Platinum 770 CCA. The new combination sounds much different and it starts faster. One turn and usually you'd hear the starter whine but now the engine is going almost immediately. This little fix was $780. At least I shouldn't have to worry about it for another 80K miles....fingers crossed.

Thanks to Longo Lexus...this was the most pleasant experience I have had at a dealer for service.

Quick Reply: Engine Won't Start