Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Parking Light Question and Bonus Brake Question/Answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 01:06 PM
ONe21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights and brakes

---My front right blinker went out so I bought bulbs. Now my question is HOW the heck to you get to it?!? I reached in there to remove it but I don't think that the one I was trying to remove was the blinker (even if it was I can't remove it.) Is the blinker accessible from the engine bay without removing anything? The only thing stoping me from getting that one bulb out is the airbox, but I don't want to remove all of that and find that it's the wrong bulb. It started raining as I began to embarke on my journey, so I never got to find out if it was the blinker or not.

Sorry I know it's a dumb question, but I just don't want to remove the headlight if I don't have to.

---I also need to replace the left side courtesy light, but all you have to do to get to that is remove the plastic "splash guard" piece under the wheel well right?

---My final question... is it absolutely neccessary to use a C-clamp to pull the calipers apart to put new brake pads in? Can something else be used?
Old 08-29-04, 01:16 PM
legendary
Racer

As far as brakes are concerned, you need a 14mm (I think) wrench to remove the top nut. The C-clamp is needed to push the piston back into the caliper. (Make sure to loosen the filler cap on your Master Cylinder).

As far as lights, you got to fandangle your arm to remove the lights from the housings
Old 08-29-04, 01:20 PM
ONe21
Driver

Thanks, but is the blub I'm trying to remove the right one? I tried to rip that thing out ot there for a good 15 minutes with no luck... looks like I'll be removing the intake box to get to it.
Old 08-29-04, 08:30 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

Default Re: lights and brakes

Originally posted by ONe21
---My final question... is it absolutely neccessary to use a C-clamp to pull the calipers apart to put new brake pads in? Can something else be used?
Use a crowbar. Seriously. The top of the caliper has a slot in it that you can wedge a crowbar into against the old pads. And I've been told I did it the wrong way, but I removed the whole caliper via the two 17mm bolts rather than the 14mm guide bolts. I've still yet to look under there again to see how that's supposed to be easier.
Old 08-30-04, 07:17 PM
ONe21
Driver

DAY 2 - Blinker 2
Me 0

The war rages on.

How the crap did you guys get that thing off. I've had 3 people try at it, but it won't come out. We get in there and turn it, and that's as far as we can get. When we unfasten it, we wiggle it to try to get it out, but it seems to be caught on something. We unhooked the harness thinking that it would allow it to rotate more and set the bulb free, but we were wrong. SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I KILL MYSELF! I've never had this kind of trouble with a freakin' light.
Old 08-30-04, 07:35 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: Re: lights and brakes

Originally posted by AaronE
Use a crowbar. Seriously. The top of the caliper has a slot in it that you can wedge a crowbar into against the old pads. And I've been told I did it the wrong way, but I removed the whole caliper via the two 17mm bolts rather than the 14mm guide bolts. I've still yet to look under there again to see how that's supposed to be easier.
Like I said, you do not need a crowbar...you remove the top bolt, drop the caliper forward/backward (depending on front or rear), replace the pads, reinstall. Very simple. No need to remove the entire caliper. I dd my rear pads in 30 minutes (both sides). Hour , ten minutes all four - (clean up, etc)

As far as your light, it is tricky...this is why you should not mix your posts like this. I will move this to lighting section.

In the future....one serious question per post.....makes it harder on folks searching too

Thanks

(Consider brake question answered)
Old 08-31-04, 10:03 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by legendary
fandangle
hehe....fandangle.
Old 08-31-04, 10:04 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

If you are having problems with the blinker remove the splash guard and pull the headlight out.