Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

new spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04 | 11:16 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On another Toyota forum with Toyota Master Diagnostic Technicians they pointed out that using Iridium plugs in place of platinum or conventional spark plugs will NOT improve either power or gas mileage.
When I confronted these techs about the fact that some young people think they get a noticable power gain from using Iridiums, the techs replied:

"Some "young people" believe the right sticker on their car will make it seem faster .... cool looking blue tinted headlamps will let you see farther ...or a cold air intake and big ugly muffler with a 6" opening costing $600 will make their Civic do wheelies."
Old 10-02-04 | 05:05 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Originally posted by saber
On another Toyota forum with Toyota Master Diagnostic Technicians they pointed out that using Iridium plugs in place of platinum or conventional spark plugs will NOT improve either power or gas mileage.
When I confronted these techs about the fact that some young people think they get a noticable power gain from using Iridiums, the techs replied:

"Some "young people" believe the right sticker on their car will make it seem faster .... cool looking blue tinted headlamps will let you see farther ...or a cold air intake and big ugly muffler with a 6" opening costing $600 will make their Civic do wheelies."
but i'm not a young person....and from what my mechanic told me and because i actually have them installed on my car...its from a professional experience...i went to three different pro shop b4 i actually
installed them...and why don't u ask anyone who owns the ngk iridiums on this lexus forum...not from
toyota forum.
Old 10-02-04 | 05:10 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

if you go to any toyota or lexus dealer....they will always tell you oem is always better...and it is always better if you let them install all your needs cause their labor prices are the best....
Old 10-02-04 | 06:52 AM
saber
Pole Position

Iridiums last longer which helps maintain emmssions at a low level or a longer period, but there are no power or fuel economy gains from using Iridiums. If there were these gains then NGK and Denso would advertize and boast about them, but they don't.

Below is what another expert said about Iridiums recently:

"Iridium plugs allow manufacturers to more easliy comply with federally mandated emissions warranties. There is no other reason for their existence.

However, they DO last longer, so end-user maintenance is reduced, which is a nice side-benefit..

The unfortunate downside is that using iridiums without plating (such as cadmium) on the threads, and leaving them in for their intended life, can result in plugs that are seized and not easily removable once
replacement is desired. This is especially dangerous with aluminum heads. OEM ND iridium plugs have cadmium plating on the threads."

--
TeGGeR®
Old 10-02-04 | 11:25 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

I agree....but have you seen the tips of ngk iridium....the design of the iridium tip that makes Iridium IX a better spark plug because the electrode is not too thin and not too thick. It's just the right size to reduce the voltage required for spark and to maximize the overall longer life qualities of iridium. Also it has.....
- More Durability and a Higher Melting Point than Platinum.
- Better Center Electrode Anti-Oxidation and Anti-Erosion
- Improved Ignition
- Superior Anti-Fouling
- Lower Required Voltage
- New Metal Shell Plating Process for Better Anti-Corrosion

and yes they do advertise that Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. Just cause its a new technology and not too many people do know about the benefits and
have used them long enuff to tell.
Old 10-03-04 | 07:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I have been looking at the NGK IX series, but want to add on some new spark plugs wires (e.g., NOLOGY or other).
Old 10-04-04 | 03:03 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Default free NGK IX's

Hey guys, here you go. four, (I know only four why not six) NKG Iridiun IX plugs.

Stock number 3764
Part number BKR6EIX-11

The only compensation that I require is postage handling. I can do UPS if you'd like. (I run the UPS shipping station at work)

Let me know. first come first serve.

Josh
Old 10-04-04 | 04:09 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Itz all mine....hehe...how much is shipping
Old 10-04-04 | 04:11 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

This is not a prank like last time what happened to OLT is it?? I dun't wanna be robbed of shipping.
If its not...i got dibs!!
Old 10-04-04 | 04:12 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

well hell where at in Oklahoma are you???

if you are in Tulsa we can just me up.

If you are in OKC I will be going thru there this Friday on route to Dallas to see OU destroy Texas. (reminds me)

let me know

Josh
Old 10-04-04 | 04:12 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

better yet....do you take c.o.d.?? hehe
Old 10-04-04 | 04:13 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

I can set up UPS for C.O.D. but it will require an 8 digit UPS worldwide account number.

Josh
Old 10-04-04 | 04:13 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

nw okc...btw...why are you giving it away?? and are they new??
Old 10-04-04 | 04:14 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Default Check PM

They are new...

I have a connection thru an autoparts distributor here in Tulsa

Check your PM bro.

Josh
Old 10-04-04 | 04:16 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver