Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-12-14, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Bouncy ride on 99 lx470

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04 | 12:00 PM
potterbiz
Driver School Candidate

Default Bouncy ride on 99 lx470

Our lx 470 had developed a VERY bouncy ride. The Diagnosis was the front accumulators. We fixed it then 1 year later it's happening AGAIN! This time they say it's the rear shocks. I'm concerned that we'll replace the shocks and they'll find it's really the REAR accumulators. HELP!?
Old 11-29-06 | 01:17 PM
lx470man
Advanced

whats accumulators? My lx470 is all over the place. The ride is crazy, it is literallly like riding a bull. Is it most likely the shocks?
Old 11-29-06 | 03:54 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

replace the shocks w/aftermarket
Old 11-29-06 | 04:42 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lx470man
whats accumulators? My lx470 is all over the place. The ride is crazy, it is literallly like riding a bull. Is it most likely the shocks?
Accumulator is part of your hydraulic suspension system. If the hydraulic system is contaminated by wrong type of fluid your LX470 will bounce like riding the bull.
I found out that most of the time when the accumulator goes bad was caused by somebody fill up the hydraulic fluid with brake fluid or washer fluid.
Old 12-13-06 | 12:55 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Accumulator is part of your hydraulic suspension system. If the hydraulic system is contaminated by wrong type of fluid your LX470 will bounce like riding the bull.
I found out that most of the time when the accumulator goes bad was caused by somebody fill up the hydraulic fluid with brake fluid or washer fluid.
Exactly right... ive replaced so many accumulators/shocks/etc due to contamination.. its an expensive repair.. insurance companies usually get involved with repairs like this. the most extensive repair ive done included all the accumulators/motors, shocks, lines, main pump, and main tank... all due to major contamination and sludge.. it was a $10k+ repair...
Old 05-23-07 | 03:23 PM
Texasoil
Driver School Candidate

Default Bouncy Ride in LX-470 cause and cure

When your LX-470 starts bouncing around , it is probably caused by one or more of the 4 suspension 'accumulators' getting low/going flat. On all 'height controlled' vehicles with adjustable height hydraulic suspension (not air suspension), accumulators are what provides the 'give' in the suspension. The shocks are completely oil filled. Oil is pumped into them to raise the height, let out to lower the height. The accumulators are gas filled '*****' with a rubber bladder or diaphragm (depending on type). The gas is initially filled to say 300 psig when no oil is in the accumulator. When placed in service, the suspension system may need 600 psig to hold the vehicle at the selected height. Some oil enters the accumulator (1 connected to each shock) to balance the pressure at 600 psig. Now you hit a bump, and the upward travel of the wheel forces oil out of the shock and into the accumulator, raising the pressure smoothly as long as there is enough 'space' left in the accumulator. ALL accumulators slowly lose their gas charge--just like tires age, people age, trees grow. Fact of life. When enough gas is gone, there is so little cushioning left the vehicle rides choppy, and eventually hard--very heard--because there is not ANY suspension travel left.

Lexus accumulators on the LX-470 and Toyota Land Cruiser 100 are not rechargeable or repairable. Replacements cost nearly $700 EACH from the Dealer.

Go to 'activesuspensionsystems.com' and read a lot more about this suspension system and alternative to high priced Dealer parts
Old 05-26-07 | 06:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RTGS400
Exactly right... ive replaced so many accumulators/shocks/etc due to contamination.. its an expensive repair.. insurance companies usually get involved with repairs like this. the most extensive repair ive done included all the accumulators/motors, shocks, lines, main pump, and main tank... all due to major contamination and sludge.. it was a $10k+ repair...

It's great to have a Master Lexus tech on the site. Can I pick your brain? If the accumulators are serviced by the book using the correct fluid now long do they normally last on a (mall cruiser) LX470 (miles/years)? The reason I want to know is I have a LX470 with the CPO warranty that will cover this problem if it happens within the 3 year 100K mile warranty period. Plus a buddys son is a mechanic at my local Lexus dealership and does all the work on my LX470 at the dealership. I want to have him look out for any potential accumulator problems as my LX ages. So your experience with this problem would be helpful.

Thanks