Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fram X2 Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 07:23 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fram X2 Filter

Did I just make a mistake.

I purchased the Fram X2 oil filter for the Rx, the 7000 mile filter. Was this a bad choice, should I have the shop swap this out with an OEm filter?
Thanks
Old 11-13-04, 07:26 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It;'s way better than a run of the mill Fram, but it's also overpriced for what it is. IF you bought it at Pep Boys or AutoZone, i would exchange it for a Purolator or STP filter.
Old 11-13-04, 10:29 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard any good things about Fram filters. Stock filters are the best and are reasonably priced. Go to a Toyota dealer and get it there, Lexus and Toyota filters are the same thing (same part number too). If Toyota says they cannot help you because it's a Lexus, call Lexus for the part # then call Toyota and ask for that specific part from them.
Old 11-13-04, 11:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

fram has a SERIOUS issue with thier drainback valve...id exchange it. i hav seen motors blow rod bearings cause fo these filters. often they lead to "dry" starts as well.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-13-04 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 07:51 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back it goes, and off to the toyota dealer I will go.
Thanks!
Old 11-14-04, 08:55 AM
saber
Pole Position

Fram filters are planned obsolesence filters http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg so they are fine for planned obsolesence American cars, but they will degrade the reliability and durability potential of Asian cars.
Old 11-14-04, 09:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by saber
Fram filters are planned obsolesence filters http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg so they are fine for planned obsolesence American cars, but they will degrade the reliability and durability potential of Asian cars.
not nessecarily. fram is no good for ANY car, i wouldnt even put one on my lowest end contour. i wouldnt put it in a cavalier or even a metro, fram doesnt deserve to be the worlds best selling oil/air filter. their products are subpar for ANY car, and just barely make the manufacturers requirements for protection, as put forth by the big3 in america, europe and Asia (Ford, GM, Chrylser, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and the ford, GM, and Chevy counterparts of european origin).

in short FRAM IS BAD.
Old 11-14-04, 10:26 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

plz grab a toyota filter ASAP!
Old 11-15-04, 07:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I personally did not like the Toyota filter, thought I am sure it is better than most. Found it was not filtering well enough when I checked my oil.

Switched to a K&N Gold and have had no problems, and much easier to put on and remove in an RX.

I also heard good things about the Mobil Filter.
Old 11-15-04, 10:26 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by kutscher
Back it goes, and off to the toyota dealer I will go.
Thanks!
or go here www.parts.com

CEO
Old 11-15-04, 05:52 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

Like others said: Fram = bad. I've known guys who had their $10k+ race engines ruined by glue separating from the CARDBOARD filter ends in these filters and going straight into their main and rod bearings. Something to watch out for: there are lots of "brands" of filters but only about 3 or 4 actual manufacturers. Many filters are simply painted filters made by either Fram, Wix, Champion, or AC Delco. For example, STP filters are repainted Delco's and are usually cheaper. I believe the Pennzoil filters are repainted Frams, so watch out. Be sure you know you are buying a good filter

I've been using Mobil 1 filters and I'm happy with them. There was some discussion about production for the OEM Toyota filter being moved from Japan to Mexico and I never heard a verdict on the quality of the new filter, as it was a different design. Anyone have an answer about the OEM?
Old 11-15-04, 06:41 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by Stupidnewb
Something to watch out for: there are lots of "brands" of filters but only about 3 or 4 actual manufacturers. Many filters are simply painted filters made by either Fram, Wix, Champion, or AC Delco.
Fram, Wix, Champion, or AC Delco are all American companies. The Asian car makers have their own filter manufacturers like Nippondenso. All Lexuses come from the factory equipped with Nippondenso oil and air filters. Even the factory original motor oil in a Lexus does not necessarily come from an American refiner. On Lexus's website Lexus says the following refiners are used for engine oil installed at the factory:
Exxon Mobil
Idemitsu
Japan Energy
Nisseki Mitsubishi
Old 11-15-04, 07:53 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

Yes, but nearly all filters sold at parts stores are from American brands, which is where many people buy their filters. If someone buys an aftermarket , non-OEM filter they should be aware that they may be buying a filter they are trying to avoid simply because it has been re-painted.
Old 11-15-04, 08:49 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Stupidnewb
Yes, but nearly all filters sold at parts stores are from American brands, which is where many people buy their filters. If someone buys an aftermarket , non-OEM filter they should be aware that they may be buying a filter they are trying to avoid simply because it has been re-painted.
Fram:
Jiffy Lube
Pennzoil
Quaker State
Mopar
Honda
Wix:
Napa
Pro-Tec
Champion:
SuperTech
STP
Mobil 1
K&N
some Mopar
factory-installed Motorcraft
Bosch
Valucraft
Purolator:
Subaru
Motorcraft - Aftermarket
some Mopar
ProLine
Advance
Old 11-16-04, 01:14 AM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by nthach
Fram:
Honda

Purolator:
Subaru
Yes, Fram makes some Honda filters and Purolator makes some Subaru and Toyota filters, BUT they are not merely "re-painted", "re-labeled", or "re-boxed" existing Fram and Purolator filters. Instead, they have unique features specified by the Honda, Subaru and Toyota engineers.

Case in point: The Toyota 08922-02011 oil filter http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilfil20211.jpg which is Toyota approved for use on the Lexus RX 300/330 and ES 300/330 V6 engines. This Toyota 08922-02011 is made by Purolator, and has the same physical dimenions as the equivalent Purolator Pure One oil filter that you can find in auto parts stores, but there are external and internal differences. Here are two external differences:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg A third difference is that the walls of the Toyota version are 23% thicker and heavier. Internally, there are subtle differences as well.

Quick Reply: Fram X2 Filter