Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How to find vacuum leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 03:55 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to find vacuum leaks

Hi, after doing my valve cover gaskets a few week ago, my car has been idling wierd, see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=141385

Well, I thought I hadd fixed the problem, but apparently not. The problem came back after running the car a few minutes. So Im about 99% sure that its a vacuum leak.

So my question is, how do I go about finding the source of a vacuum leak? I need to fix this problem, so thanks for all your help

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 11-29-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 04:10 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The cheapest, but maybe not the safest, way to do it is with a small portable propane torch. Ive used this method a thousand times, and never had a problem with it. You must take caution though.. it is dangerous. But basically, with the engine running, you crack open the valve on the propane torch so a little propane comes out, and you put the tip of the torch (unlit obviously) around potential areas that could leak... when the car begins to run good again, or the idle raises up.. you've found your leak.
Old 11-29-04, 04:19 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Hmm, Ive heard that using aersol carb cleaner can be used for that too, But the problem is, I have NO clue where the leak is coming from, so I dont know if I could get the propane/carb cleaner close enough to the leak

Thanks again
Old 11-29-04, 07:42 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Please make sure all of your vacuum hoses are connected back correctly. On the intake side, you will see some vacuum switching valves( VSV) make sure the one on the front with 2 vacuum hoses and one black connector are not cross.

Also, check all the vacuum hoses that connected to the EGR. You can following the diagram from the sticker on the hood. I don't think you has a vacuum leaks, you just cross some of the vacuum hoses that's all. Good luck and let's us know.
Old 12-01-04, 03:13 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Hey, does anyone know the inner diameter of the intake tube? I think Im going to try this this weekend

Name:  Boost_Test.jpg
Views: 9277
Size:  103.2 KB

An MKIII supra guy used it to find a boost leak, but this should work for vacuum leaks right? Just put that all together then turn my compressor up to 10-15 PSI and I should be good

Also, VVT-i, I parked next to my friend with an MKIV NA Supra and we compared all the vacuum lines we could see, and they all looked perfect. So unless its one I cant see, then I dont know what the problem is

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 12-01-04 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 03:48 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Hey guys, well I fixed the leak today. It turns out it wasnt a vacuum leak, but I actualy forgot a bolt when I was putting everything back together. I forgot the very important bolt that connects the EGR system to the intake manifold. So my EGR valve was on there VERY loose. So after putting the nut on, she idles perfectly. And HERE is the incredibly useful technique I used to find the leak.

If someone with a 2JZ wants to borrow the "leak finder", I could mail it to you, or better yet I could tell you exactly what you need to build it.
Old 02-27-16, 05:20 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Hey guys, well I fixed the leak today. It turns out it wasnt a vacuum leak, but I actualy forgot a bolt when I was putting everything back together. I forgot the very important bolt that connects the EGR system to the intake manifold. So my EGR valve was on there VERY loose. So after putting the nut on, she idles perfectly. And HERE is the incredibly useful technique I used to find the leak.

If someone with a 2JZ wants to borrow the "leak finder", I could mail it to you, or better yet I could tell you exactly what you need to build it.
im in jamaica n id love to know how to build one
The following users liked this post:
tjcbar (05-15-24)