Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Master Technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 03:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Most of the Lexus tech at the dealership I work have some expereince with either Toyota or another car manufacturer before we hire them. But sometime we hire the T-Ten program student ( Toyota trainning program) to work with us while they are in school and they get hand on experience.
Those T-Ten student we got or we call them trainnee have to work with the tech who train them. I mean, they will do some easy job with supervise of the tech and the tech has full responsibility of what they do. Those trainnees they go to college and taking regular classes, but their major is automotive tech. So far so good, we got 4 of them that graduated from T-Ten program and now a fulltime Lexus tech.
Its hard for us to get a decent tech that have good experience, good attitude, good driving record. Sometime we got this kind of tech put in an application, but he don't have good driving record or don't pass the drug test or don't pass the background check.
THanks dude!!!

Old 01-19-05, 08:02 PM
Jet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=VVT-i]Welcome to CL Jet. Good to see another Lexus master tech around.
Nutech, you're right and forget about this part.... :bi

Thanks VVTI for the welcome. was kind of busy last few weeks at work so i haven't got the chance to check back at this forum. I was at the new 400h training class at EDO last week. the 400h is going to be awesome in my opinion. lots of voltage and lots of cool features...
Old 01-19-05, 09:33 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Jet]
Welcome to CL Jet. Good to see another Lexus master tech around.
Nutech, you're right and forget about this part.... :bi

Thanks VVTI for the welcome. was kind of busy last few weeks at work so i haven't got the chance to check back at this forum. I was at the new 400h training class at EDO last week. the 400h is going to be awesome in my opinion. lots of voltage and lots of cool features...
Please share the info for those of us that haven't been to the training. There isn't any info available on the TISB.
JPI
Old 01-19-05, 10:36 PM
Nutech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No, some of them want to remain anonymous unless they want to post up (some others are on this thread like tech237). Some 'out of the closet' are former moderators DevilDog, Sooner (I think?). JPI was one (not sure if you can still call yourself one if you leave Lexus).

Forgot about me? WoW hehehe You can't make too much noise. Once you leave Lexus they want you to call Formaly Certified Lexus Master Tech. I don't know how JPI got away with all those Logo without getting a letter from Toyota Corp say If not remove next ten days well will SUE you hehehe I had there window logo and they come down and take picture of it and make me removed it.
Old 01-20-05, 06:34 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nutech
Forgot about me? WoW hehehe You can't make too much noise. Once you leave Lexus they want you to call Formaly Certified Lexus Master Tech. I don't know how JPI got away with all those Logo without getting a letter from Toyota Corp say If not remove next ten days well will SUE you hehehe I had there window logo and they come down and take picture of it and make me removed it.
We did get a couple of letters from Toyota. You are not alone
JPI
Old 01-22-05, 04:21 PM
Jet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JPI
Please share the info for those of us that haven't been to the training. There isn't any info available on the TISB.
JPI
The design of the THS II which is found in the 400h is really simple and yet very effective. the entire system is based on its software to operate the electric motor/generators or MG's.

This vehicle uses a HV battery with inverters (i am not going into details about this right now) which is controlled by multiple ecu's to manage its function to properly control the MG's and charging. the car uses electric power steering, electric a/c compressor. slightly different braking system mainly due to the regenerative braking system. no techometer, it uses a power meter which display from 0-200KW (0-268hp when you do the math), it actually works alot like a vacuum gauge. a electronic controlled continuously veriable trans. is used. the gear shifter is still a gate type with B-mode added to it, this is used when the driver wants to brake with engine assist. this car is pretty much maintance free with the exception of oil changes every 5000 miles and obviously the filters.

These are just some of the topics that was bought up during training. if i really go into it it will probably be 4 pages long...
Old 01-22-05, 05:09 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jet
The design of the THS II which is found in the 400h is really simple and yet very effective. the entire system is based on its software to operate the electric motor/generators or MG's.

This vehicle uses a HV battery with inverters (i am not going into details about this right now) which is controlled by multiple ecu's to manage its function to properly control the MG's and charging. the car uses electric power steering, electric a/c compressor. slightly different braking system mainly due to the regenerative braking system. no techometer, it uses a power meter which display from 0-200KW (0-268hp when you do the math), it actually works alot like a vacuum gauge. a electronic controlled continuously veriable trans. is used. the gear shifter is still a gate type with B-mode added to it, this is used when the driver wants to brake with engine assist. this car is pretty much maintance free with the exception of oil changes every 5000 miles and obviously the filters.

These are just some of the topics that was bought up during training. if i really go into it it will probably be 4 pages long...
Did you get the manual? I'm familiar with how the hydrid work on Toyota. But it won't hurt to do some reading on the 400h. Thank you.
JPI
Old 08-30-05, 07:47 PM
dry-fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HI guy's, newbie here. I'm an absolutue greenhorn........I'm in the first class of the first semester of Toyota's T-TEN program. I plan on taking the 8 ASE's along the way while in school so I'll have that out of the way.

My question is.....will some of you guys that ARE techs give me an idea of salary ranges/potentials?? I would really appreciate it, I've gotten allot out of this thread.
Old 08-30-05, 08:39 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Most of the Lexus tech at the dealership I work have some expereince with either Toyota or another car manufacturer before we hire them. But sometime we hire the T-Ten program student ( Toyota trainning program) to work with us while they are in school and they get hand on experience.
Those T-Ten student we got or we call them trainnee have to work with the tech who train them. I mean, they will do some easy job with supervise of the tech and the tech has full responsibility of what they do. Those trainnees they go to college and taking regular classes, but their major is automotive tech. So far so good, we got 4 of them that graduated from T-Ten program and now a fulltime Lexus tech.
Its hard for us to get a decent tech that have good experience, good attitude, good driving record. Sometime we got this kind of tech put in an application, but he don't have good driving record or don't pass the drug test or don't pass the background check.

though my shop that i currently work in. we havent hired a t-10 students in about a year now. there is a new program from UTI (universal tech institute) called tpat (toyota professional auto technition). with about 5 lexus certifications and 12 toyota.
with intro to hybrid (toyota)
Old 08-30-05, 08:45 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JPI
Did you get the manual? I'm familiar with how the hydrid work on Toyota. But it won't hurt to do some reading on the 400h. Thank you.
JPI
think of it like this

look at a highlander hybrid and u have a 400h
Old 08-30-05, 08:49 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dry-fly
HI guy's, newbie here. I'm an absolutue greenhorn........I'm in the first class of the first semester of Toyota's T-TEN program. I plan on taking the 8 ASE's along the way while in school so I'll have that out of the way.

My question is.....will some of you guys that ARE techs give me an idea of salary ranges/potentials?? I would really appreciate it, I've gotten allot out of this thread.
ive seen 8-15 lower end for toyota higher end in lexus
Old 08-31-05, 12:09 AM
Ltech223
Driver School Candidate

Default pay rate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
ive seen 8-15 lower end for toyota higher end in lexus
Don't expect to eat the first few years . with all the tool bill.
I was stuck with 5k and warr. work for a long time what about the rest of you ?
Old 08-31-05, 03:32 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dry-fly

Welcomes to CL and I hope you hang around. Right now I'm trainning 2 guys, one is a t-ten and he used to work on computer software firm,but decide to change his career. First he work for Toyota dealer,but with his good GPA and good attitude, his t-ten instructor had talked to Lexus service manager and got him the job at Lexus.

Money wise, it's depends on the dealer and the state you live in. Around here in Atl. lower end tech start at $14.00 per flat rate hour, but the dealership I work for is family run for over 50 years with 12 luxury car dealers. I mean, they owned Rollroyce, Porsche, Jag, Land Rover, Lexus, Caddy....ect. We are fortunated that the dealership is not run by some big corporate like Sonic, World Team, or any another big corperate company. Those dealership that runs by big corperated company will careless about employees, everything is just a number for them.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-05, 04:05 PM
dry-fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. How long does it take to get off of flat rate and start getting paid per job?
Old 08-31-05, 04:16 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Flat rate is what they pay per job. When I started out it was tough, working and going to school fulltime. But now I have a big shop and have a couple of guys working for me. Learn what you can and then move on to a bigger thing. Don't expect to make 60k for the first 3 years but I know lexus mater tech clear $100k a year and they don't do anything .
JP Importz

Last edited by JPI Racing; 08-31-05 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Master Technician