Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Sludge Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 04:05 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mburnickas
You will NEVER see Redline or Amsoil at your local wal-fart. It is too expensive for them.

Becoming a dealer is very easy and if you order more then two cases of oil, for example it is worth it. See, if you were using Redline or Amsoil the Florida trip would not even be an issue! Redline and Amsoil are VERY close in properties. I use Amsoil since I get it cheaper. I know just by looking at Mobil SS it does not contain the right amount of ZDDP for me.
The two companies should merge then! lol j/k. The website said something about if I purchase $100 worth of oil )or Amsoil products), I get it for wholesale or something which is a pretty good deal I guess.....the question is, how much for shipping & handling? How much do I charge 'others' for the oil if I sell it to them? Same for oil filters & the ATF.

Speaking of ATF, I guess since we require ATF for the power steering fluid, I could use the Amsoil in there too couldn't I?

I'd be very courious......if Redline & Amsoil are so close.......if one studies everything right down to the 'minute' detail......which one has the ever so slightest edge 'overall' & why? (price aside now).
Old 01-17-05, 04:30 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The two companies should merge then! lol j/k. The website said something about if I purchase $100 worth of oil )or Amsoil products), I get it for wholesale or something which is a pretty good deal I guess.....the question is, how much for shipping & handling? How much do I charge 'others' for the oil if I sell it to them? Same for oil filters & the ATF.

Speaking of ATF, I guess since we require ATF for the power steering fluid, I could use the Amsoil in there too couldn't I?

I'd be very courious......if Redline & Amsoil are so close.......if one studies everything right down to the 'minute' detail......which one has the ever so slightest edge 'overall' & why? (price aside now).
S/h is by the lb. It is like XX dollars per lb, then it is cents per lb. When I sold it I sold it between retail and my cost. I ordered as much as I could at one time to save on shipping.

The ATF is perfect for PS. If both are are down to wire I would select the one the can go the longest. Redline has more moly in it but on the flip side Amsoil has a high TBN. It is a tough call but again, I would select one that can got the longest
Old 01-17-05, 07:45 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

S/h is by the lb. It is like XX dollars per lb, then it is cents per lb. When I sold it I sold it between retail and my cost. I ordered as much as I could at one time to save on shipping.

The ATF is perfect for PS. If both are are down to wire I would select the one the can go the longest. Redline has more moly in it but on the flip side Amsoil has a high TBN. It is a tough call but again, I would select one that can got the longest
Sounds like it's still a coin toss lol
Old 01-18-05, 03:19 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Sounds like it's still a coin toss lol

Depends Redline oils can go up to 25K miles but they rec;
highway:12,000 and 18,000 miles
city: 10,000-12,000 mile drains are suggested.

My guess since I use Amosil and go over that with mostly city I would use Amsoil for City users and high is both.
Old 01-18-05, 05:30 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Depends Redline oils can go up to 25K miles but they rec;
highway:12,000 and 18,000 miles
city: 10,000-12,000 mile drains are suggested.

My guess since I use Amosil and go over that with mostly city I would use Amsoil for City users and high is both.
Since I do about 70% city & 30% highway.......I guess Amsoil it is. At the 'moment' at least, I don't think I have any more questions on this subject.....mburn (and probably the rest of CL for that matter) must be saying to themselves "Thank God!" lol.
Old 01-18-05, 02:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face According to Redline:

I posed the same questions I did for Mobil to Redline........here is their response comparing Amsoil to Redline Synthetic:

Brenden,

I don't have a specific comparison test to the Mobil 1 product, but will attach the Amsoil tech report using the 4 ball wear test and the motor oil tech report. The Amsoil and I believe currently both use a PAO base stock, Red Line uses a polyol ester base stock. The polyol ester base stock is the only base that can handle the tremendous temperatures and extremes in a modern jet aircraft engine. This base gives the Red Line Oils the highest film-strength available, excellent thermal stability, reduced wear for longer engine life. The ester offers the unique ability to cling to surfaces offering protection before oil pressure is established, rather than being repelled from the surface as other base stocks are. The Red Line additive package combines to offer improved protection, longer drain intervals, better performance and economy.

Dave
Old 01-18-05, 03:00 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I posed the same questions I did for Mobil to Redline........here is their response comparing Amsoil to Redline Synthetic:

Brenden,

I don't have a specific comparison test to the Mobil 1 product, but will attach the Amsoil tech report using the 4 ball wear test and the motor oil tech report. The Amsoil and I believe currently both use a PAO base stock, Red Line uses a polyol ester base stock. The polyol ester base stock is the only base that can handle the tremendous temperatures and extremes in a modern jet aircraft engine. This base gives the Red Line Oils the highest film-strength available, excellent thermal stability, reduced wear for longer engine life. The ester offers the unique ability to cling to surfaces offering protection before oil pressure is established, rather than being repelled from the surface as other base stocks are. The Red Line additive package combines to offer improved protection, longer drain intervals, better performance and economy.

Dave
Nothing new here. Redline is a good oil. It is a group 5 as I noted before. Amsoil is a 4/5. I agree with 99% of it but "longer drain intervals". Compared to what? The only two things to keep me from using it is the price and that they say not to go over XX miles on oil.

If you are looking for someone to come out and say yes Amsoil is better, from a perticular business, keep writing emails. I do like how Redline is not a stuck up as the Mobil moron was/is.

In the end both oils, I think are the best out there.
Old 01-18-05, 04:26 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Nothing new here. Redline is a good oil. It is a group 5 as I noted before. Amsoil is a 4/5. I agree with 99% of it but "longer drain intervals". Compared to what? The only two things to keep me from using it is the price and that they say not to go over XX miles on oil.

If you are looking for someone to come out and say yes Amsoil is better, from a perticular business, keep writing emails. I do like how Redline is not a stuck up as the Mobil moron was/is.

In the end both oils, I think are the best out there.
Agreed mburn.....the Mobil 1 guy was VERY defensive......at least this guy wasen't totally dissing the 'competition' but still got his point across that his product was superior.......in amore professional manner. I'm still leaning towards Amsoil. I guess there would be no advantage in getting a 0W 30 or 40 oil?
Old 01-18-05, 06:01 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any test datas on Vavoline? Their prices is about the same as Mobil 1. Any valvoline user? Please voice your opinion.
JPI
Old 01-19-05, 02:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Originally Posted by JPI
Any test datas on Vavoline? Their prices is about the same as Mobil 1. Any valvoline user? Please voice your opinion.
JPI
I considered Valvoline, but not many folks on here or LOC use it from what I can tell. I'm guessing even their synthetic is only a group 3 oil at best?
Old 01-19-05, 06:08 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I considered Valvoline, but not many folks on here or LOC use it from what I can tell. I'm guessing even their synthetic is only a group 3 oil at best?

BINGO! Valvoline is a group III and a group I carrier oil. If the price was the same as Mobil 1, I would have to go with M1.
Old 01-19-05, 07:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

BINGO! Valvoline is a group III and a group I carrier oil. If the price was the same as Mobil 1, I would have to go with M1.
I thought so mburn (I'm starting to get the hang of this lol).......you mention a "Group I carrier oil".......I'm not sure what you mean by that?
Old 01-19-05, 08:01 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I thought so mburn (I'm starting to get the hang of this lol).......you mention a "Group I carrier oil".......I'm not sure what you mean by that?
They put a grp 1 to get some adds in there.
Old 01-19-05, 08:37 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

They put a grp 1 to get some adds in there.
Gotcha!
Old 01-19-05, 09:46 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Talking

I just found out that Amsoil has a Toronto Distribution Center in Mississauga (which is just outside of Toronto) so I can pick up the oil, tranny fluid & Oil filters, get it at wholesale & save the shipping costs to boot!

Quick Reply: Engine Sludge Issue...