Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

New Engines from Dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 01:24 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Engines from Dealerships?

I am thankfully not in this position & just ask out of curiosity.

I'm guessing that dealers do not carry a stock of engines so what is the process in the rare occasions where a Lexus engine does need to be replaced? Do these customers get a factory fresh UZFE?

Was really perplexed by the "Rides" episode where Rod & Rhys Millen transplanted a GS 400 engine into a IS. The GS came as a whole car ( Toyota Donated ) & was basically scrapped for the project. One would think that the Millens could get the Toyota power plant of their choice delivered at the snap of a finger. Does'nt Rod still campain a Toyota Truck for occasional events?

damon
Old 01-19-05, 02:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by damon
I am thankfully not in this position & just ask out of curiosity.

I'm guessing that dealers do not carry a stock of engines so what is the process in the rare occasions where a Lexus engine does need to be replaced? Do these customers get a factory fresh UZFE?

Was really perplexed by the "Rides" episode where Rod & Rhys Millen transplanted a GS 400 engine into a IS. The GS came as a whole car ( Toyota Donated ) & was basically scrapped for the project. One would think that the Millens could get the Toyota power plant of their choice delivered at the snap of a finger. Does'nt Rod still campain a Toyota Truck for occasional events?

damon
I think the engines are 'rebuilt' units as opposed to a entire brand new engine.
Old 01-19-05, 05:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Lexusfreak that having Lexus stock brand-spanking-new engines in their inventory is pretty much a rare occurrence. Not exactly sure of the reason why but that's the way it works for all the Lexus dealerships.

I underwent a similar deal a while ago when my ES transmission started failing, and extended warranty backed me up partially for a replaced tranny. My Lexus dealership could only give me a reman tranny from another ES, but at least the tranny was remann'ed to factory spec. So far, so good
Old 01-19-05, 05:30 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Doug, just a heads up......sw in LOC is not too happy at the moment with the winter performance of his Toyo TPT's.......the thread is in the ES forum if you would care to weigh in with your thoughts & opinions. I have given my 2 cents & would like any other members with the Toyo's to if they have something to share.