Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

tool kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 06:30 PM
LightC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tool kits

Hi,
I'm new to auto repair but I want to do most of the maintainance for my 1992 SC4 by myself whenever possible rather than going to a Lexus Dealership. I'm reading "Auto Repair for Dummies" right now so I can become more familiar with my car's components. Then I hope I'll be better suited to perform the many DIY tutorials on this site.

I was looking over the craftsmen metric toolkits at sears.com and saw one on sale for 99.99. What kind of tool kit would you guys recommend? I want to be able to rebuild my PS pump with this toolkit eventually. I might as well fix it before it starts leaking.

This is the one I found:
Craftsman 137 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Blow Molded Case
Sears item #00934137000 Mfr. model #34137
81 sockets in 3 dr. sizes, SAE and metric, standard and deep. 4 SAE/4 metric combo wrenches, 6 dr. tools, 42 specialty tools including 12 nutdriver bits and SAE/metric hex keys. Blow molded case

Last edited by LightC; 02-06-05 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 07:03 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LightC
Hi,
I'm new to auto repair but I want to do most of the maintainance for my 1992 SC4 by myself whenever possible rather than going to a Lexus Dealership. I'm reading "Auto Repair for Dummies" right now so I can become more familiar with my car's components. Then I hope I'll be better suited to perform the many DIY tutorials on this site.

I was looking over the craftsmen metric toolkits at sears.com and saw one on sale for 99.99. What kind of tool kit would you guys recommend? I want to be able to rebuild my PS pump with this toolkit eventually. I might as well fix it before it starts leaking.

This is the one I found:
Craftsman 137 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Blow Molded Case
Sears item #00934137000 Mfr. model #34137
81 sockets in 3 dr. sizes, SAE and metric, standard and deep. 4 SAE/4 metric combo wrenches, 6 dr. tools, 42 specialty tools including 12 nutdriver bits and SAE/metric hex keys. Blow molded case
Hey man,

Craftsman makes some good tools. They are relatively inexpensive and come with a lifetime guarantee which is great. That is a good starter set. No set will ever have all of the tools you need but for now they will work.

In time you will want to start using airtools as they are a lot faster and a lot stronger. Bear in mind though that you will be able to use these sockets with your airtools.

Remember that tools are like everything else - you get what you pay for. Cheap tools round out and break easily.

As for learning about your car - auto's for dummies is a good start - but for the most part that is very basic. Get yourself a Service manual if you want to do your own work on your car - they are invaluable.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 02-07-05, 07:40 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider torque wrenches, both inch and foot pound scales. We deal with more aluminum casting parts that are rather easy to over-torque and strip threads with steel bolts. Or warp rotors by overtightening wheel lugs, for example. My last tool on most bolts today is a torque wrench... I use Utica , Orangeburg, S.C. and Snap-On, Kenosha, Wis.. There are several fine brands available. Enjoy your tool purchases ! Rick
Old 02-07-05, 11:01 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If all you'll be working on for now is the Lex, then don't waste your money on SAE-sized tools. Your Lex and all other foreign cars use metric fasterners, and you'll have no use for the SAE stuff.

Craftman makes good tools (it's mainly all I have) and the warranty is very handy--you'll use it to replace broken sockets. Buy additional *quality* tools as you need them. And before you tackle any Lexus projects, make sure you search these forums for hints and ideas. Good luck.