Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

anti-freeze question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 08:11 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mburnickas
all the stuff you talked about is good but aftermarket coolant have progressed. There are a lot of coolants that protect the same as the OEM coolant.

Ps, the people that make the car, LEXUS, even state you do not need to use or is required to use their coolant in my model year.
Aftermarket coolant does not necessarily have the same ingredient or formulation as OEM coolant. Patent may be at stake here. Lexus cannot say "Toyota coolant required" because they'll have to supply coolant free of charge for saying so - per Federal law.

I did not believe Toyota Coolant was any different, until I saw how my Lexus held up. After 3 years, my RX's coolant reservoir is totally clean. No residue, no rust, no contamination, no foul smell, nothing! So clean, it's like a brand new car. I've owned many cars and no other coolant worked this way. There's something about Toyota coolant that no one else can match.
Old 03-04-05, 08:47 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Aftermarket coolant does not necessarily have the same ingredient or formulation as OEM coolant. Patent may be at stake here. Lexus cannot say "Toyota coolant required" because they'll have to supply coolant free of charge for saying so - per Federal law.

I did not believe Toyota Coolant was any different, until I saw how my Lexus held up. After 3 years, my RX's coolant reservoir is totally clean. No residue, no rust, no contamination, no foul smell, nothing! So clean, it's like a brand new car. I've owned many cars and no other coolant worked this way. There's something about Toyota coolant that no one else can match.
I agree but the owner needs to show some brains and look up some spec's. Some coolants do and some do not. My gsxr1100 has had diesel coolant since 1993 and the rad looks as the day I picked it up. No calcium on cap, no nothing on that or under the seat for the reservoir. Again if you look at the analysis, there are coolants that are 100% the same except for one thing. Been discussed in the past. My ES reservoir looks brend new also. Take the cap off the reservoir and there are no deposits, no nothing. The rad cap is mint and not despots in that either. Not been using Toyota stuff for 3 years. Again, the requirments that is passes are nothing new here.

I know all about the law (Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.).

Also when you stated "I did not believe Toyota Coolant was any different..." Compared to what coolant? There are coolants that will give you the same outcome.

Last edited by mburnickas; 03-04-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 01:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also when you stated "I did not believe Toyota Coolant was any different..." Compared to what coolant? There are coolants that will give you the same outcome.
Compared to coolants in my old Ford, GM, and Dodge cars. The coolants were either OEM coolant, Prestone, or Dexcool. They always leave some deposit or whatever in the cooling system. Not Toyota.

My RX300 is my first Toyota - first import for that matter. I have to say that I'm impressed.
Old 03-04-05, 03:28 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Compared to coolants in my old Ford, GM, and Dodge cars. The coolants were either OEM coolant, Prestone, or Dexcool. They always leave some deposit or whatever in the cooling system. Not Toyota.

My RX300 is my first Toyota - first import for that matter. I have to say that I'm impressed.
Ford OEM coolant is Prestone, Prestone (yellow- high Silicate) coolant sucks, and Dexcool is not the same to start with. Dex-cool is ELC and Toyota is not ELC.

If you are impressed that is great. But there are other coolants that will perform the same.
Old 03-04-05, 08:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saber
The chemistry of Toyota Long Life Coolant is totally different than any auto parts store antifreeze
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/titan.jpg. Toyota came out with this special antifreeze and used it as the factory fill way back in 1987 because Toyota has HIGHER AUTOMOTIVE RELIABILITY AND DURABILITY STANDARDS - standards which no American auto parts stores antifreeze can match.

Exceptional reliability and durability has never been a goal of American car makers and auto parts stores carry only American car quality brands of antifreeze, brake fluid, filters,
etc. So an effective way to degrade the reliability and durability of a Japanese car is to sabotage it by using auto parts store brands of antifreeze, brake fluid, filters, etc.
Yes, i've seen Prestone eat away at radiators and hoses. I never use that stuff now. I had a Mercedes that has seen only Prestone, and the radiator, water pump, heater water pump, and surge tank failed. Mercedes recommends ONLY their coolant is to be used, Toyota is no different.
Old 03-05-05, 06:13 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nthach
Yes, i've seen Prestone eat away at radiators and hoses. I never use that stuff now. I had a Mercedes that has seen only Prestone, and the radiator, water pump, heater water pump, and surge tank failed. Mercedes recommends ONLY their coolant is to be used, Toyota is no different.
You used Prestone? I rest my case. You used a coolant that is HIGH in silicates umong other things.
Old 03-05-05, 09:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You used Prestone? I rest my case. You used a coolant that is HIGH in silicates umong other things.
i didn't know better at the time. I DO NOT use Prestone in anything now.
Old 03-06-05, 06:22 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nthach
i didn't know better at the time. I DO NOT use Prestone in anything now.
Good....there yellow one is again high in silicates, has no OAT and the PH is most times to high.