Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

well I failed emissions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 09:50 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well I failed emissions!

Im not surprised though... the car has been idling rough and has been rather unresponsive.

The Idle test pollutant were as follow.

Hydrocarbons (HC) in PPM. 1st Idle reading, 627 precond reading 75, precond standard 100 final reading 641 Idle Standard 220. I failed the hydrocarbons test BIG TIME.

Carbon monoxide results (CO) IN% 1st Idle Reading, 0.53 precond reading o.ooo preconrd standard 0.50 Final reading 0.27 Idle Standard 1.20. Result Pass.

Everything else I passed.

Car feels extremely slugish in the lower rpm bands, It recently had new spark plugs, new plug wires rotor installed new fuel filter, I cant find any vacuum leaks, its an obd1 car and it didnt throw any codes when I checked that. The car is bone stock with the exception of the fuel pump which is a walbro 255 lph which is what I got for 95 bucks instead of over paying 600 for a stock one.....

Could it be a fubared injector somewhere? or did the ecu go kaput? Im thinking it has to do with a bad air to fuel mixture? (im thinking im running rich somewhere.)

Car idles rough when cold, stabilizes somewhat but has a misfire when hot, is sluggish at low rpm levels but its fine after 4000 rpm. Any ideas? I wonder if a safc would help...
Old 04-14-05, 11:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Im not surprised though... the car has been idling rough and has been rather unresponsive.

The Idle test pollutant were as follow.

Hydrocarbons (HC) in PPM. 1st Idle reading, 627 precond reading 75, precond standard 100 final reading 641 Idle Standard 220. I failed the hydrocarbons test BIG TIME.

Carbon monoxide results (CO) IN% 1st Idle Reading, 0.53 precond reading o.ooo preconrd standard 0.50 Final reading 0.27 Idle Standard 1.20. Result Pass.

Everything else I passed.

Car feels extremely slugish in the lower rpm bands, It recently had new spark plugs, new plug wires rotor installed new fuel filter, I cant find any vacuum leaks, its an obd1 car and it didnt throw any codes when I checked that. The car is bone stock with the exception of the fuel pump which is a walbro 255 lph which is what I got for 95 bucks instead of over paying 600 for a stock one.....

Could it be a fubared injector somewhere? or did the ecu go kaput? Im thinking it has to do with a bad air to fuel mixture? (im thinking im running rich somewhere.)

Car idles rough when cold, stabilizes somewhat but has a misfire when hot, is sluggish at low rpm levels but its fine after 4000 rpm. Any ideas? I wonder if a safc would help...
check the O2 sensors. They can go bad before the CEL turns on.
Old 04-15-05, 03:09 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

o2 sensor & PCV valve. Have the car retested with fresh oil & when the car is running at full operating temperature. Drive the car for about 20 - 30 minutes before the test.
Old 04-18-05, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The hot misfire is probably what is screwing you up..but before you go fooling around with the diagnostics, I agree with Lexusfreak. Put in fresh oil and filter, a PCV valve, and a new air filter....then get the engine hot. You may or may not need a new O2 sensor.
I have seen this trick work in the past on some cars that failed...and it was even recommended by the technician doing the test......oil, filter, PCV valve, and air cleaner.....all inexpensive items. If they don't work....THEN go to more expensive things. And check the laws in your state. After you have spent a certain amount of money on your car and it STILL fails, you can get a waiver and not have to worry about it any more....so save ANY receipts you buy things with.
Old 04-18-05, 12:17 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a walbro 255lph pump.
it's probably overriding your injectors and flowing more fuel. You need a fuel controller to take some of that fuel out. This will also get rid of some of your sluggishness at low end.
Old 04-18-05, 03:15 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VSsc400's probably right, but if you do need new O2 sensors, get some universal ones from www.oxygensensors.com for about $30 each shipped
Old 04-18-05, 08:05 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i had high hydrocarbon readings at inspection dyno when my "low" settings on S-AFC was not tuned with walbro 255lph HP pump. i was able to dial out the lower 2500-3000rmp portion of the S-AFC so it would pass.
Old 04-18-05, 09:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car feels extremely slugish in the lower rpm bands, It recently had new spark plugs, new plug wires rotor ........... Any ideas? I wonder if a safc would help...
What plugs and wires did you use?
Old 04-21-05, 01:06 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
What plugs and wires did you use?
oem ones, the iridiums and the plugs that was recommended by lexus. Now the engine light is on and stays on car still drives the same... trying to remember how to check codes on this thing.

damn no paperclips on this house! 2 thumbthacks later and connecting random piece of metal later it shows a code 71.

Last edited by Inabj2; 04-21-05 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 02:20 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

code71 I believe is Emissions system.

could be either one of
1. clooged EGR system
2. bad o2 sensor
Old 04-21-05, 03:26 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

it sounds similiar to a problem I had with my last 95 SC300 -- the EGR modulator started acting strange, and actually opened up letting exhaust into the intake at idle, introducing exhaust and the rough idle. I got a CEL 71 as well

You may want to check all those hoses around the EGR modulator. The EGR system runs into the Y-pipe, and after some miles it can get clogged up -- mine did it after 68,000 miles, just to give you an idea.

Since you're trying to pass emissions, I guess removing the EGR system wouldn't be in your best interest, but it definately makes it easier to work on the engine.
Old 04-21-05, 05:20 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

You know the funny thing is my brother who is a MB technician predicted this months in advance just on the roughish idle and the way the car ran overall... the cel was not lit at that time.

Some searching on this forum and I guess it is the egr system... Im just hoping I dont have to take that intake manifold and connecting y pipes .....
Old 04-21-05, 05:50 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Some searching on this forum and I guess it is the egr system... Im just hoping I dont have to take that intake manifold and connecting y pipes .....

you'll get good at it after doing it a few times
Old 04-22-05, 05:23 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

You know the funny thing is my brother who is a MB technician predicted this months in advance just on the roughish idle and the way the car ran overall... the cel was not lit at that time.

Did you get the problem fixed yet Inabj?
Old 04-22-05, 08:34 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

no not yet due to being busy It looks like Ill have to wait till next weekend, Im still not sure what part exactly of the egr system is messed up.

Quick Reply: well I failed emissions!